Nialls supercharged GTi6 - project tidy up

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nialls supercharged GTi6 - project tidy up
Get on!
Shame about the charger, but a relatively easy fix.
Can't wait to see this in the flesh!
Thanks given by:
This. Is. Amazing...
JP
Thanks given by:
Well done mate Smile how many days have you got till mapping? Do you have to drive it there?
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
As said, shame about the damaged charger, but well played getting it all in and running!

Bet you're itching to get out and give it a good run now Niall? lol
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(04-02-2014, 05:46 PM)7057sam Wrote: Well done mate Smile how many days have you got till mapping? Do you have to drive it there?

Mapping is supposed to be Thursday but I'm probably going to have to cancel as I'm not sure if my charger will turn up tomorrow. Im gutted about it but these things happen. Everything else went so well that something had to go wrong lol
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
What actually happened to the charger? It randomly got gouged? I must of missed that bit Sad
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Sorry i don't think i explained this. The charger manifold was made and bolted on but had some swarf in which fell in the charger outlet. We blew it out with a air line which looked fine but as soon as i turned the pulley, the charger locked up after a quarter of a turn. Turned it back and there was a massive gouge out of the coating so thats one dead charger. I was really expecting it to knock its tits off but on idle, it sounded fine.
Will get some pics tomorrow
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Ahh that explains it. Sad times, hopefully your charger shows up and you make it to mapping. You going to trailer it there or tow it or just drive it like a man?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Shitter about the charger, where did you get the new one from?

Glad its running though, all the hard work has paid off so far.

Love the write up.
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Flying the Flag for the XU10J2TE

You Tube: 832 Performance
Thanks given by:
nice to hear its running niall, I remember my 3 1st starts with the metro, ( different engines ) the last one made me well nervous! as the second 1st was a nightmare! I had to borrow a loom to start it, as the one I bought was f*cked badly. had some electrical fault. When that engine died, we had to go about pulling the car apart and fitting the replacement engine. So the 3rd 1st start was more nerve racking, as that was going make or break the car.
that 1st start went, nothing when turned the key, checked battery, jumped it, then it wouldn't fire. my dad said, hang on, I will hold the throttle open, and you fire it up. this time we were panicking a little, as we thought here we go again. as soon as I turned the key the car blared into life! just like it was a new car! ticked over nicely for 30 mins, what a relief! and I tell you it was a proud moment for us! seeing something you have built fire for the 1st time, is a buzz. Wait till it gets on the road, and you can say YEAH!! I built this! When you power away!
Thanks given by:
So todays update - Not much done.
Ive cancelled mapping for tomorrow now and rescheduled for next month when i will have loads more money. Its getting to the stage now where I'm running out of money and things still need buying so not worth rushing and skimping only to find something go wrong on the dyno. Also gives time for the engine to settle in a bit.
Woke up this morning to rain smashing against the window...and i don't have a garage. In fact, i barely have a drive so this build isn't fun in the rain and wind! Anyway, temporary garage (read gazebo) erected (haha, errect) and away we go..after a tea break. First job of the day was to get the wiring sorted but i couldn't even start that because the chronic wind kept blowing my soldering iron out so its been decided we are doing that tomorrow in grants garage so the first drive on the road will be with bodged wiring. If it makes the 1.5 mile drive hassle free, ill be surprised!
Anyway, next job was to drop the oil and fix the oil leak from the water/oil heat exchanger and whilst i was there, fit the oil cooler.

[attachment=13346]

[attachment=13347]

[attachment=13348]

Tight fit!

[attachment=13349]I would of mounted it centrally but the hoses weren't long enough Sad

At this point, a nice man from parcel force turned up with a huge box which contained this

[attachment=13350]
Very impressed that i was on my door step in less than 24 hours since ordering.

And a pic for those wanting to see the damage to the original charger

[attachment=13351]

After that, nothing really to report. It was just a case of catching up on all the little jobs. Still a long way to go but theres no rush now that its not going for mapping this week so I'm a bit happier.
Now i know what route i am going with all the boost piping, i can order all of that (£80 lighter Sad )And get all that fitted one day next week.
Tomorrow will be its first proper outing to see how well it runs (NA at the moment unfortunately) so that will be a bit nervous...and of course, ill have the go pro on incase it does go bang!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Yeh i did wonder if you were out doing your car when I was walking in the wind and rain this morning!
Thanks given by:
that charger. liquid metal. job done.

sucks mate, but it will get there! hard work is done, now for the niggly bits!!!
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
I salute your dedication Niall, it was bad enough walking let alone working in this weather ! Shitter about the damaged charger but maybe Khama is telling you to run the engine-in whilst in N/A form...
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
Tight Fit !!
Mine had 3 inch core haha still couldn't keep it cool though :lol note all strengthen cut out of bumper aswell

[Image: FB_IMG_13733828897210289.jpg]

Well done so far mate.If it was me I'd of tryed to build/bodge In 2days before a major Peugeot gatheringDodgy

keep the faith doing it like this will pay off in the long run, dare I utter the words a reliable supercharged 306 lol
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Shame about the charger...really gutting...

So no meet on the 22nd?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(06-02-2014, 08:12 AM)Piggy Wrote: Shame about the charger...really gutting...

So no meet on the 22nd?

Yeah I'll be there. Just with it NA instead of charged.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
So is this running NA on the standard ecu? Or are you running some kind of base map on the aftermarket? Is it safe to be driving it around on that base map?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(06-02-2014, 09:54 AM)Tom Wrote: So is this running NA on the standard ecu? Or are you running some kind of base map on the aftermarket? Is it safe to be driving it around on that base map?

Standard NA on the Omex with a proper map for a standard GTi engine.

So today, not much happened. Woke up with a major case of cba. Got the wiring tidied up and sorted out and then took it out for its first drive!

http://youtu.be/NlyVgNo_ff8

We took it on a 45 mile drive and it seemed absolutely fine. Its not too keen on idling but thats just the map (which doesn't have any form of idle control or cold start). No hiccups on the drive except for a earth fault which is causing an issue with my passenger head light, indicator and is bringing on some dash lights rather dim. I suspect this is a bad earth on the chassis leg where it was painted so will clean this up tomorrow and see how i get on from there.
Also have a oil leak which desperately needs sorting as it was only just on the minimum marker when i got home. Other than that though, its all ok!
Mapping is booked for March 7th so watch this space!

Oh and tomorrow ill be getting my EPAS working as you can see from the video, its a complete lady garden to steer lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
ThumbsUpThumbsUpThumbsUpThumbsUpBig Grin
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Is that a silicone bend onto a straight silicone joiner from the drivers side of the FMIC?

And where was the epic ragging in the video?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(07-02-2014, 04:00 PM)silverzx Wrote: Is that a silicone bend onto a straight silicone joiner from the drivers side of the FMIC?

And where was the epic ragging in the video?

Yes but that is a temp bodge just to see what route we could of taken with the piping. Im ordering all new hoses now i know where I'm taking it all.

And its a brand new engine. Would you really rag it!?
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(07-02-2014, 05:15 PM)Niall Wrote: Yes but that is a temp bodge just to see what route we could of taken with the piping. Im ordering all new hoses now i know where I'm taking it all.

And its a brand new engine. Would you really rag it!?

I see, fair enough!

Yes, I would drive it like I stole it and probably hit a barrier or two!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Trent just...lol
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
So today - Enthusiasm hitting rock bottom.
Thankfully the weather wasn't bad today so managed to get a few bits done, mainly getting my PAS sorted as driving without it is terrible.
I was going to mount the pump in the bay but my boost piping is going where i was going to mount it so i decided to mount it under the boot floor. This meant a trip to Pirtek to have my wallet raped and make up a new high pressure hose and buy some low pressure. Unfortunately i couldn't get the low pressure done as the pipe they gave me is too big.

[attachment=13391]

[attachment=13392]

Mounted the pump right up at the back of the boot next to the chassis leg and cut a hole in the boot floor for the filler neck.

[attachment=13393]

Forgot to get pics of the final fitment but will tomorrow when I'm under there wiring it up.

Also have discovered that my oil leak is down to a crack in the sump which I'm not happy about but oh well. I will be sorting that tomorrow with any luck!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Stick at it mate, your nearly there and she really is looking beautiful.

Are you sure the "coating" on the "damaged" charger is a proper coating and not just inlet gunk?
Thanks given by:
It's definitely the Teflon coating on the blades. No two ways about it Sad
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Keep at it fella Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(07-02-2014, 09:29 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Stick at it mate, your nearly there and she really is looking beautiful.

Are you sure the "coating" on the "damaged" charger is a proper coating and not just inlet gunk?

Yeah Chris its properly damaged. These chargers have a clearance of a few thou between the rotors so even a scratch in the teflon coating will make a difference. Although it sounds fine which I'm surprised about, once you get some back pressure on it i doubt it will make much boost if any at all.

Today - Weather shit; giving up for now.
Im not even fussed about working on the car. I was expecting problems with a big conversion especially as i haven't done anything like this before. Its the weather that is really destroying this for me and i just don't want to look at it at the moment. But still, in between the bad weather, i got out there today to get the major problems sorted - mainly the chronic oil leak(s) and the single bolt through the manifold into the cat.

First problem was the leaking heat exchanger. I took it off and realised i had made a pretty big f*ck up. I bought the heat exchanger and just assumed it had a seal on it bearing in mind they are non replaceable. Guess what? No seal. Thankfully, i managed to remove the seal from my old one and fit it to this one and so far, its not leaking (although i have just gone to the end of my road and back but before, you could see if seeping out!)
Second one is a bit more major....

[attachment=13434]

That would be a cracked sump. I saw this when i painted the sump but it just looked like a dent which you kind of expect seeing as the engine came from a lowered car but i guess not lol. Thankfully, its only seeping out when the oil is warm at a very slow rate so i have made a temporary repair (anyone remember my head bolt issue with the 1.8? Wink ) and will get it welded at the end of the month.

Tomorrow, job is to get my dials working and possibly install my clutch switch for full throttle gear shift Big Grin
Oh and sorry but i seem to be making a habit of turning these into essays. Sure most of you are getting bored of these "small" updates by now lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Big updates with pictures are the best kind of updates. Keep at it chap, the weather is spoiling everyones fun lately Sad
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Matts Cherry HDi Dturbo. Project Stage 1+ & tidy up. Matt-Rallye 29 13,086 10-05-2017, 12:49 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  Matts £200 Cherry Rallye shell rebuild & tidy up project. Xsara goodies landed! Matt-Rallye 70 33,418 07-03-2017, 12:58 PM
Last Post: Matt-Rallye
  Moonstone GTi6 Track-Lite Project reese 28 14,897 29-01-2017, 09:34 AM
Last Post: reese