WiNgNuTz's Diablo DT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WiNgNuTz's Diablo DT
(01-10-2013, 10:22 AM)Curt Wrote: You say that, but it is possible to hide a scratch quite well if you have enough patience...

[Image: 9360935126_c14b463c8a.jpg]
DSC_1745 by Curtis Footman, on Flickr

[Image: 9358145297_317f66fd55.jpg]
2013-07-24 16.49.49 by Curtis Footman, on Flickr

[Image: 9360922306_efcfa52066.jpg]
DSC_2336 by Curtis Footman, on Flickr

Obviously you are unfortunate in that you have a lot more to take care of, but it is possible to get half decent results and all it costs is time. I filled mine gradually, in layers, to the surface of the paint (took a fair while). Then flatted it back to make it level and polished it up. Could still be better than that...

It's when people just slap it on seemingly with their eyes closed, usually using the whole pot on a stone chip and not making sure it actually matches first, that it looks shit...

As I said on Facebook though, it's a shit situation mate Sad people are arseholes.

Good job curt but then again you live in the country and time is what you have in spade loads lol

Love ya!!
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
Im not sure if ive just had too many tomatoes to work the search function right, but its not really helping me at the moment. Nospeak I know i've seen a thread about my issue, but can i find it?!

Its looking like im gonna have to replace a tensioner very shortly, as my poor car has developed a nasty whine that changes note with engine speed. So, i may as well do the cambelt while im at it, as the last recorded change was back in 2008! This leads me to my question...

Would i be right in thinking that if i removed the AC pump, i would need a timing belt for a Rallye instead? Also looking to do the waterpump and obviously the tensioners.
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
You'd need a shorter auxiliary belt mate, not cambelt. Although unless it's for weight saving, there won't be much to gain as there won't be any additional load unless it was on and engaged.
Thanks given by:
Oh, well don't I feel silly now! lol

Fair enough, tbh it seemed like a good idea as I've ripped parts of the ac out already, and remove more as and when I can get to it! Wink not really on a weight saving trip, so sod it, it can stay. Keeps things simpler for me that way! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
So....there comes a time in every car owners life where they have to make a very hard decision about their pride and joy. I think mine has come. Sad

It's not looking very good for my DT at the moment, there are a lot of issues cropping up, tax is due at the end of December, MOT in january, and ive been out of work for the last 2 months, barely covering bills on time, let alone LIVING, so spending money on the car is not happening at all at the moment.

I think most people are aware my clutch is f*cked, i am literally having to granny drive everywhere, because as soon as the turbo starts spooling, usually about 2-2.5k, the clutch slips.

I can also hear rushing air in the passenger footwell when the turbo DOES spool, and the only thing thats happened other than refiltering the turbo is the decat pipe. Can't see it being a boost leak, as when i do get fully on boost, im still making 20psi. Any suggestions?

Recently i've also noticed a tensioner whining, which is really worrying me, as i have no record since 2008 of a cambelt change, and im not exactly sure which ones making the noise.

Rear beam is also cambered to f*ck, could probably do with being replaced.

Something on the front has knocked a couple of times whilst going round corners over the last couple of days as well, its only happened twice now, but its adding to the fact that ive felt like somethings just not quite right with the handling, its kinda hard to explain.

So yeah, all that, plus the tax and MOT coming up, and no work. Well, im getting a day here and a day there, doing basic handyman work, but its obviously not enough. I was on JSA until recently, they stopped my claim because i failed to *book my own interview* when i sent in an application! Seriously? Anwyay, i've appealed the desicion, obviously, but thats probably gonna take a while to get set up again, so im pretty much on my own doing whatever i can. Ive still sent off loads of applications, and CV's, but nowhere seems to want me. Sad

Anyway, this isnt a "give me sympathy" post (honest!), but sort of a "What would you do" post. Bare in mine, i have 2 8 year old daughters that regularly stay with me (seperated from their mum, for those that dont know), they live about 4 miles from me. Other than my car and my legs, i have no form of transportation, also hindered by lack of dollar. My current vein of thinking is that i'll just have to take the car off the road once something does give up or the tax runs out, and see if i can't pick up a cheap/free bike from somewhere. The girls have just got new bikes, and we COULD ride the 4 miles to mine, but is December really a good time to be out riding long distances with small children? lol

The other alternatives of course are scapping/selling. Nospeak

Thoughts?
Thanks given by:
SORN it and stay positive!
[Image: MIRKxNP.jpg]
Thanks given by:
So i spent today tinkering with the car, as well as giving it a quick rinse off, as opposed to my usual 4 hour cleaning ritual. Big Grin

Im now convinced the guy who fitted my decat didnt do a proper job, as there is soot all over the bulkhead where the exhaust meets the manifold. Should there be a gasket or something in there that he might have not replaced?

I also am pretty sure ive traced the whining in the engine bay to the aux belt tensioner, but just because i got one, heres a video of the noise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...XEMEkL-7vw

Am i right in thinking the tensioner on the Aux belt is a nice simple change?
Thanks given by:
Take the alternator belt of and see if the noise stops then you will no if it's cambelt or alternator belt related Smile

Thanks given by:
Sounds like it could well be a knackered tensioner to me
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
There should be a metal ring fire seal (gasket) between the cat and turbo. They compress over time so should be replaced with the cat/decat.
Thanks given by:
Sounds like an exhaust leak somewhere.

Could be the turbo 90 bend to downpipe. Mines pissing leaks out of there, everythings black/sooty around there.

Probably no good for my de-filtered turbo but hey-ho!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
As said check the gasket from mani to decat, people never change it - it's a few £ from memory and you can do this at home.

Keep the motor on the road but only use it for emergencies even after it's been fixed...use your legs more, I do now and my fuel bill is better (I live in a city centre)

Thanks given by:
(16-11-2013, 11:03 AM)devils_fuel Wrote: As said check the gasket from mani to decat, people never change it - it's a few £ from memory and you can do this at home.

Keep the motor on the road but only use it for emergencies even after it's been fixed...use your legs more, I do now and my fuel bill is better (I live in a city centre)

You in same place as last time? Or somewhere else?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
By the city football ground so bang in the centre and the car park, I mean traffic central lol

Pop around you faggot and you can do my conversion Big Grin

Thanks given by:
(16-11-2013, 11:03 AM)devils_fuel Wrote: Keep the motor on the road but only use it for emergencies even after it's been fixed...use your legs more, I do now and my fuel bill is better (I live in a city centre)

The problem with this idea, is that even though you're saving fuel, you're still wasting over £200 a year on tax, and iirc Steve's insurance is still pretty high too, so ~£800 or so on insurance too....for a car you're barely using.

I'm in a similar situation to Steve with money atm and am only using the car when necessary, but do need a car as I live far out so am changing to something much cheaper on fuel, tax and insurance so I can still afford to keep a car OTR.

Something like a 106 NAD or similar is good for this and cheap to buy, can also run it on veg if you can be arsed with the hassle of shit starts and messing with veg. And either sell or break the DT. Or you could SORN it if you think you'll keep it when you've got a bit more cash.
Thanks given by:
(16-11-2013, 11:09 AM)devils_fuel Wrote: By the city football ground so bang in the centre and the car park, I mean traffic central lol

Uhh, near Manheim!? Conversion? Bocsh?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
(16-11-2013, 11:55 AM)Toms306 Wrote:
(16-11-2013, 11:03 AM)devils_fuel Wrote: Keep the motor on the road but only use it for emergencies even after it's been fixed...use your legs more, I do now and my fuel bill is better (I live in a city centre)

The problem with this idea, is that even though you're saving fuel, you're still wasting over £200 a year on tax, and iirc Steve's insurance is still pretty high too, so ~£800 or so on insurance too....for a car you're barely using.

I'm in a similar situation to Steve with money atm and am only using the car when necessary, but do need a car as I live far out so am changing to something much cheaper on fuel, tax and insurance so I can still afford to keep a car OTR.

Something like a 106 NAD or similar is good for this and cheap to buy, can also run it on veg if you can be arsed with the hassle of shit starts and messing with veg. And either sell or break the DT. Or you could SORN it if you think you'll keep it when you've got a bit more cash.

He has the same consideration as me...kids. So he may need a car for emergencies like hospital trips etc..god forbid. Yeah he could get a cheaper 1 to run and sell/brake the DT. I would sell mine as it's not used that much but it's the most reliable car I've ever had, so I could have worse issues if I sell it etc

(16-11-2013, 11:59 AM)silverzx Wrote:
(16-11-2013, 11:09 AM)devils_fuel Wrote: By the city football ground so bang in the centre and the car park, I mean traffic central lol

Uhh, near Manheim!? Conversion? Bocsh?

Where's Mannheim ? I'll pm you my address. Yeah Bosch conversion Smile

Thanks given by:
(16-11-2013, 08:00 AM)Chris_90 Wrote: Take the alternator belt of and see if the noise stops then you will no if it's cambelt or alternator belt related Smile

Good shout, wish i'd thought of that yesterday! lol

(16-11-2013, 11:03 AM)devils_fuel Wrote: As said check the gasket from mani to decat, people never change it - it's a few £ from memory and you can do this at home.

I'm 95% sure its the mani-decat joint thats blowing, guess a local motor factors should have the part i need? Or would it be pug only?

(16-11-2013, 11:55 AM)Toms306 Wrote:

£652 thanks to Jordan on here. Spread out over the year though, so will total a bit more, but its still almost half the cheapest quote i'd got before speaking to flux. Big Grin

Thanks for all your input guys, i'm feeling a damn site more positive about this now than i was, but im still not convinced its gonna make it through the MOT/tax unless i get some full time work in the VERY near future!
Thanks given by:
Got my donut/gasket from kwik fit on a Sunday, the chap was nice, liked the 306 so gave it to me, guess it would have only cost a few £

Chin up mate, sort the issues bit by bit and Big Grin

Thanks given by:
That's one epicly Dirty Diesel, loving the cloud smoke you left behind :p, shame there wasn't a cop there when you done it, HAAHAHAHHAHAHA!
Thanks given by:
Lol, yeah was pretty epic tbh, but she doesn't chuff like that now, nice and clean again now. lol
Thanks given by:
Steve, get a clutch and you and I (and I'm sure a few other regular names will chip in) can fit it. I also have a rear beam here. It's yours. Providing you can get to mine we can fit it and job's a good'un.

Theres a clutch on ebay now for £30 posted. New. clicky

I'll even put you up for a night as a beam and clutch is gonna take longer than a day ThumbsUp
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
That is one hell of an offer man, and not one i feel i can turn down. I will see what i can do about getting a clutch, but money is the biggest issue, i am literally living off the missus at the moment, dunno what i'd do without her tbh. Got some money coming soon though, so will do what i can. Your a f*cking star man, love this forum. Inlove
Thanks given by:
You know where I am man, just drop me a PM or FB message when you get everything lined up Smile
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
I really need to learn too update this a bit more often. But then i always say that, and it never happens! lol

So next weekend, i'll be very carefully driving to Grants, along with the clutch that Tom sent me, and we'll be changing said clutch, as well as fitting a GTI rear beam, and i'll be collecting a ph3 front bumper and a spare battery to replace the ropey one that i think was causing my starter issues.

My uncle very kindly bought me 6 months road tax for my birthday/christmas, so thats one less thing ive had to worry about...so now the only thing standing in my way is the MOT, which runs out on the 24th. The car is booked in for Friday, so what do you lot reckon, pass or fail? The only thing i think it'll fail on, is the rear beam, and thats gonna get changed, so fingers crossed it won't fail on anything else, as the only money i have this month has already been allocated, and there is no room for unexpected work to be done.

On the same note though, is it likely to fail on the fact that the exhaust gasket between the turbo elbow and the downpipe leaks?

And thats it....nothing has really happened to the car since FCS, apart from it falling into disrepair and becoming more and more shed-like as each day passes. Sad
Thanks given by:
I'll come and help with clutch and beam if its on a day that suits me. I have plus gas and brake pipe spanners and have done a couple of beams now.

I'm not alot of use but better than nothing.

Edit, just seen the date your gonna do it, think im night shift both days but i might have the right gasket for the exhaust.
Thanks given by:
Wish i could come help to Sad You guys get all the fun.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Well if that's the case Chris, then thanks for the offer all the same! lol

Tbf, the gasket is only gonna cost £4 off the bay, it's just the fitting of it that I'm dubious about, but as I said to Niall in the chatbox recently, if we don't get round to it while I'm at grants, ill just get my mate to fit it at his garage, he has a drive on ramp that I can get the car onto, so saves messing around trying to do it on axle stands! Wink
Thanks given by:
(15-11-2013, 11:05 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: So i spent today tinkering with the car, as well as giving it a quick rinse off, as opposed to my usual 4 hour cleaning ritual. Big Grin

Im now convinced the guy who fitted my decat didnt do a proper job, as there is soot all over the bulkhead where the exhaust meets the manifold. Should there be a gasket or something in there that he might have not replaced?

I also am pretty sure ive traced the whining in the engine bay to the aux belt tensioner, but just because i got one, heres a video of the noise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...XEMEkL-7vw

Am i right in thinking the tensioner on the Aux belt is a nice simple change?

Supercharged D for the win Big Grin Joke mate, you found out what it was?
Thanks given by:
Well, no....not exactly. lol As i said, i traced it down to one of the aux tensioners, but i've been too lazy to take the belt off to check yet. Wink Maybe at the weekend.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WiNgNuTz's Smoothed HDi Estate WiNgNuTz 150 58,370 25-06-2015, 07:41 PM
Last Post: bashbarnard