MG ZR: Cams & Maps

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MG ZR: Cams & Maps
*insert moral support here* lol

Keep going chap, interesting read Smile
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Try blowing it out with compressed air or something. The carbon should be alright but I'd worried about any little bits of grit that might've stuck in it.
Thanks given by:
It is nice to have a project thread with actually stuff happening rather than just rover abuse lol

Used a hoover on the pistons earlier, sucked up a couple of bits but will just live and let live with the remaining carbon. As people said will probably just burn off

Jonyallthenumbers dropped off the new waterpump, thermostat, coolant and belts. Fitted the waterpump already Big Grin

Cam carrier sealant arrived so slapped that on and reattached to the head then torqued down the screwed by guesstimation however will now be using a torque wrench to ensure it's not over tight or too loose.
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(02-07-2014, 06:40 PM)lolsteve Wrote: will now be using a torque wrench to ensure it's not over tight or too loose.

Really? I never knew they were for that, I just use them as hammers lol
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
(02-07-2014, 06:54 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: Really? I never knew they were for that, I just use them as hammers lol

Or use them as pry bars?

Fantastic work Steve, you'll be proud once it's running sweet Smile
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
you guys are dicks lol

Just changed thermostat, had to reuse the old seals as the new ones didnt quite fit. so will be keeping an eye on it

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Love ya Steve Smile
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
Big thanks to jonny for the torque wrench which means the head is back on! Nothing has been more frightening than tightening up the head bolts trying to do two 180 turns for fear of them snapping.

To do list:
-Cambelt, tensioner + timing
-Crank pulley + other belts
-Reconnect wires/hoses
-Flush coolant
-Bleed system
-Turn her on and hope for the best

Other to do list:
-Finish heat wrapping manifold
-Bleed brakes and pedal has some travel
-Fit universal joint to gear changer for tighter gear changes
-Enjoy the fruits of my labour

Thanks given by:
haha yeah them stretch bolts are horrible when setting the degrees on them. Feel like they are going to snap but believe me they are well away from that. Ive actually tried to snap one before and had about 2 full turns after torquing it up and was putting virtually my full body weight on a 2ft bar and it finally went.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
good! you are practically there! just take your time!
Thanks given by:
And don't forget once you have done the belt, turn the engine over 2 full rotations (4 at the crank pulley) and try and fit the pins again and for god sake do not forget to take them out when you first start it!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
hehe, good work mr, keep it up - you'll be doing full engine rebuilds next

(03-07-2014, 07:46 PM)lolsteve Wrote: -Enjoy the fruits of my labour

engage smug mode
Thanks given by:
Not too far away now mate Smile

Let it bed in a bit before you go bouncing off the limiter with the new found ponies :p
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(03-07-2014, 07:48 PM)procta Wrote: good! you are practically there! just take your time!
Will do, don't want to cuck up at the last hurdle now Smile

(03-07-2014, 08:21 PM)Niall Wrote: And don't forget once you have done the belt, turn the engine over 2 full rotations (4 at the crank pulley) and try and fit the pins again and for god sake do not forget to take them out when you first start it!
Fit pins again? you mean the locking tools?
(03-07-2014, 08:26 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: hehe, good work mr, keep it up - you'll be doing full engine rebuilds next
Not any time soon I hope, don't fancy having to do all this again just to get to the lower part of the engine

(03-07-2014, 10:01 PM)Danny2009 Wrote: Not too far away now mate Smile

Let it bed in a bit before you go bouncing off the limiter with the new found ponies :p
So close but still so much to do although here's hoping to finding some of those ponies Big Grin
It has a nice long journey cruising to pugfest where it'll then get a nice bedding in on the hill Tongue plus I want to get it done with some time before to let it do smaller journeys that I can keep an eye on the fluids etc just in case

Thanks given by:
good work buddy....easy bit now putting it all back together...cant go wrong now Smile esp as I spotted you got some proper job type cambelt locking tool jobbies
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
It lives!!!
Engine sounded as bad as a 6' when starting but once the oil got moving about she sounds as good as she did before...mm

Having some trouble bleeding it I think as the bottom pipe stays quite cool and the engine is taking some time getting up to temperature on the gauge/interior fans although it's only water in there at the moment anyway so will need draining back out anyway.
Also should I be getting a small amount of white smoke out the back? Quick google suggests that the cat/exhaust could be wet and just needs drying off with a quick motorway blast but want the coolant system sorted first before I damage the new gasket

Thanks given by:
Well done Steve. Smile

Engines do take a while to heat up when you're not blowing exhaust into the coolant. Wink lol As for the exhaust, it'll just be condensation from not being run, should clear up quickly.
Thanks given by:
Steam from the exhaust :/

Have you actually driven it yet? If i was you, take it for a nice drive (not giving it death) and see how it is after that.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Cheers Tom,
It's still on axle stands at the moment was just leaving them on there until I was sure the car was ready to drive off

Thanks given by:
Get that system fully re bled, use the hose and tape method (tape a hosepipe into the top of the header tank, open the bleed screw and turn the hose on, just enough to bleed it through, there's no need for loads of pressure) Big Grin
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Tbh some steam on start up would be expected especially if it was blowing coolant down the exhaust but it should clear up fairly quickly.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
i thought the suggestion that he turn the car's motor over 2 full turns was a bit harsh to be honest..

i know the suggestion was made to check the timing, but that used up 2 of the 6 full turns of the engine that the head gaskets on these things last,

that white smoke/steam is another failed head gasket lol

i do troll tho, as i ahve a soft spot for these.. love the colour too..

still want the ZT-T V8 tho...
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
The k series engine always has a small amount of white smoke on start up anyway a lot of the time you just been paranoid, like others have said too with it having hgf already it's probably lobbed a load of coolant down your exhaust
Thanks given by:
that's fine steve, as they do smoke a little, mine does and it not losing any coolant. just give it a good bleed. Then let it settle for a bit.
Thanks given by:
(08-07-2014, 11:11 PM)toseland Wrote: still want the ZT-T V8 tho...

Boss has one of those, sat outside work now lol.. Sounds lovely!
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Good effort mate Smile Hope to see it at the weekend!!

(not on the back of an AA truck)
Team - Inappropriate Footwear. Member 1 of 3.

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)
3. Fooby's Company Pool Car

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
Spent the afternoon bleeding the coolant and then braved it on the roads. Seems to be running sweet as a nut plus the new belts/tensioners mean the engine isn't whining anymore so sounds in better condition...except the warped discs

Thanks given by:
great!! just a shame a bout the shell been so heavy.
Thanks given by:
Glad to hear your not giving up on it.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Nice work dude Smile nice feeling when you get it sorted.
Thanks given by: