306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
MG ZR: Cams & Maps - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Marques (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Forum: Projects (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: MG ZR: Cams & Maps (/showthread.php?tid=14360)

MG ZR: Cams & Maps - lolsteve - 03-06-2013

So I sold the pug Saturday, sad to see her go being my first car and 2 years of ownership but the itch of revving the tits of something could not be scratched by the hdi  Sad

And what have I bought?

MG ZR! 160 vvc to be precise because I didn't wana mess around.
Now I know the build quality is meant to be shocking and the gaskets go like every other day but yolo to that! I wanted something different with a nice petrol engine and for £1.1k this does it just right

Specs list:
1.8 16v vvc engine 160bhp (apparently)
Long life exhaust
56mm throttle
63k miles
11 months mot
5 month tax
17" alloys
Chavtastic rear lights
Wrong colour grill
Crap cd player
Tinted rear windows
Amp + speakers on parcel shelf

Plans are, sort out the chavy parts and then leave it..no messing just enjoy it for what it is...after lowering...and maybe induction...and some other stuff..oops. As of right now I'm also thinking it needs a service and to change the throttle back to a 52mm from the 56mm that's on there since it doesn't seem as responsive as it should be.

Photos from the ad below

OH M G!!! - THE_Liam - 03-06-2013

Well, erm... It's a nice colour!

RE: OH M G!!! - ginge191 - 03-06-2013

Nice dog.

RE: OH M G!!! - Poodle - 03-06-2013

Dear god, it's worse than i expected. :p

RE: OH M G!!! - sam - 03-06-2013

Urmmmm :/

RE: OH M G!!! - 1616six - 03-06-2013

A lot of car for the money. I considered the ZS 2.0td facelift when I got the vectra. Nice one bud

RE: OH M G!!! - Grant - 03-06-2013

Until I see a picture of you next to it I'm going with trolling...

Lol

RE: OH M G!!! - Anton - 03-06-2013

Cracking engine. Unless its already had it, make sure you get a MLG for a freelander. Solves all the HG issues. I had the same engine in a Rover Coupe and was the most reliable car i've had in 8 years of driving.

Although i would have looked for a BRM.

RE: OH M G!!! - Poodle - 03-06-2013

Cant handle the.colour scheme on a brm, rover arent exactly the epitome of good taste at the best of times, but those things take the biscuit.

Look forward to a ride in this mate, you pick it up yesterday?

RE: OH M G!!! - kingy - 03-06-2013

Engine conversion. The old 220 turbo will drop straight in and give you 225 bhp.

RE: OH M G!!! - procta - 03-06-2013

I am not a fan of these, just a posh 200 bubble.
remember to use the red coolant with this engine, also 1100 for that is peanuts, the engine is was worth 500 quid. engine is very smooth and you can really feel it pickup the pace. you can get the engine remapped to by Z and F. not to sure what you will get from it.

RE: OH M G!!! - cwspellowe - 03-06-2013

(03-06-2013, 01:03 PM)procta Wrote: I am not a fan of these, just a posh 200 bubble.
remember to use the red coolant with this engine, also 1100 for that is peanuts, the engine is was worth 500 quid. engine is very smooth and you can really feel it pickup the pace. you can get the engine remapped to by Z and F. not to sure what you will get from it.

Something slightly less boring to drive but still horrible to look at?

RE: OH M G!!! - MissTap_GTI6 - 03-06-2013

I really like these cars Smile

(03-06-2013, 01:11 PM)cwspellowe Wrote:
(03-06-2013, 01:03 PM)procta Wrote: I am not a fan of these, just a posh 200 bubble.

Something slightly less boring to drive but still horrible to look at?

like i say, i am not sure what he would again if any, as your better off solid cam the engine and going throttle bodies.

RE: OH M G!!! - GTI 6 - 03-06-2013

Nice colour but you should got a Gti 6 instead lol

RE: OH M G!!! - C.A.R. - 03-06-2013

Nice Rover.

Can't think of many other cars which left the factory looking like they've crashed through Halfords backwards!

I'm sure it will provide many happy miles of somewhat embarassing motoring.

(03-06-2013, 02:52 PM)C.A.R. Wrote: Can't think of many other cars which left the factory looking like they've crashed through Halfords backwards!

Google "Vauxhall Cavalier Calibre" Wink

(03-06-2013, 02:58 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: I want it!

you haven't said that in a whileBig Grin

(03-06-2013, 03:07 PM)procta Wrote:

I have standards lol

(03-06-2013, 03:45 PM)THE_Liam Wrote:
(03-06-2013, 03:07 PM)procta Wrote:

I prefere ladas lol

liam just buy one will ya

RE: OH M G!!! - Curt - 03-06-2013

(03-06-2013, 03:45 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: I have standards lol

Bollocks, you drove a green autospastic Calibra.

Not my cup of tea Steve, but if you're happy that's all that matters. Enjoy the bwarp Wink

RE: OH M G!!! - Dum-Dum - 03-06-2013

I suppose someone has to buy these.

As above though its a nice colour.

RE: OH M G!!! - lolsteve - 03-06-2013

Photo for you grant Wink

Tbh I was expecting some of these comments, it's a marmite car personally I much prefer the look of these to the 306 while many of you see it as a Halfords disaster which I get but then I am also the kind of guy who likes arched saxos Itwasntme

For my budget though this car is fantastic,60k miles & 160bhp for just over a grand and apart from the cd player and removal of lexarse lights I have no desire to try and make it look better/different whilst with the 306 I was just never fully happy with it since there was always some lil niggle in the back of my mind.

The interior is so much more comfy than the 306 and for a guy who fairly regularly drives 4 hour sessions that's pretty important.
In terms of build quality I would say this feels "thicker" than the pug, not vw levels of quality but stuff closes with a thud rather than a ting if you get me?

Headgasket was apparently changed 6 months ago but im keeping my eyes on the coolant levels, and its cambelt is only 10k old. Full service history and the previous owner was a mechanic apparently.

Oh and it also has a RACtrackstar tracking system which receipts show it being £450

RE: OH M G!!! - puglove - 03-06-2013

ohh dear. see you in a gti6 soon ThumbsUp

RE: OH M G!!! - ozonehostile - 03-06-2013

i dont mind them tbh, as long as you dont go down the route of huge MG xpower stickers everywhere

if the headgaskets been done and replaced with a steel laminate one that should be sorted, just a case of keeping on top of the inevitable rust now ahha

(03-06-2013, 04:07 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Photo for you grant Wink

Tbh I was expecting some of these comments, it's a marmite car personally I much prefer the look of these to the 306 while many of you see it as a Halfords disaster which I get but then I am also the kind of guy who likes arched saxos Itwasntme

For my budget though this car is fantastic,60k miles & 160bhp for just over a grand and apart from the cd player and removal of lexarse lights I have no desire to try and make it look better/different whilst with the 306 I was just never fully happy with it since there was always some lil niggle in the back of my mind.

The interior is so much more comfy than the 306 and for a guy who fairly regularly drives 4 hour sessions that's pretty important.
In terms of build quality I would say this feels "thicker" than the pug, not vw levels of quality but stuff closes with a thud rather than a ting if you get me?

Headgasket was apparently changed 6 months ago but im keeping my eyes on the coolant levels, and its cambelt is only 10k old. Full service history and the previous owner was a mechanic apparently.

Oh and it also has a RACtrackstar tracking system which receipts show it being £450

reason I am not keen on the ZR, is that rover said it was more than it was,
some people even think cause its got the "kit and mg badge" its faster than the counter part r200. sadly they are wrong.
I do give rover some credit in build quality, they are well build but the rust proofing is shocking! also the engine was highly advanced for its time too.
keep an eye on the coolant and the previous owner is a fool for swopping the throttle body over from a 52 to a 56! as the 52 one is the one to have!

(03-06-2013, 03:49 PM)Curt Wrote:
(03-06-2013, 03:45 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: I have standards lol

Bollocks, you drove a green autospastic Calibra.

In my defence, it was very cheap and I needed a car that day lol

(03-06-2013, 05:19 PM)procta Wrote: reason I am not keen on the ZR, is that rover said it was more than it was,
some people even think cause its got the "kit and mg badge" its faster than the counter part r200. sadly they are wrong.
I do give rover some credit in build quality, they are well build but the rust proofing is shocking! also the engine was highly advanced for its time too.
keep an eye on the coolant and the previous owner is a fool for swopping the throttle body over from a 52 to a 56! as the 52 one is the one to have!

The hype they made for it is a little over the top, but then they really needed this to sell well. I find it better looking than the rover and the mg badge sounds a lil more sporting than a rover.
You are right on the rust proofing, there are patches of it about including the aerial area which is a shame when you see it ruining the paint work.
Watching the coolant like a hawk, topped it up today as well to make sure it doesn't run low.

(03-06-2013, 06:46 PM)lolsteve Wrote:
(03-06-2013, 05:19 PM)procta Wrote: reason I am not keen on the ZR, is that rover said it was more than it was,

The hype they made for it is a little over the top, but then they really needed this to sell well. I find it better looking than the rover and the mg badge sounds a lil more sporting than a rover.
You are right on the rust proofing, there are patches of it about including the aerial area which is a shame when you see it ruining the paint work.
Watching the coolant like a hawk, topped it up today as well to make sure it doesn't run low.

what I have done with mine, I installed a second fan as a back up option.
just make sure the car is up to temp before you give it some beans.

I think mine has 2 fans, one is yellow one is black lol
But yea I wait for the temp to get to the sweet spot before going for it, until then I stay below 4k and not full throttle