GTi-6 - ITBs & CAMMED Track Car.. LATEST VIDEO

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GTi-6 - ITBs & CAMMED Track Car.. LATEST VIDEO
you'll never know unless you measure the height of the head, you should be able to do so with the head on.
Thanks given by:
Just spoke to pug1off who fitted the cams, timed to 112/112, catcam's book value - not retarded as I thought. Car was revved to 7800rpm when hot then inspected internally with a camera. All fine.

Having looked at various cam specs etc, it would appear that the catcams 106's have less lift @ TDC than other aftermarket cams.

Welshpug, found a thread you commented in where you said these particular cams were safe to use on a stock engine.

Also, various bits I've found where petert and other cam experts on 306gti6 have said that anything over 1.52mm lift @ TDC is dangerous, less is safe.

Lots of info out there....

JP.
JP
Thanks given by:
indeed you probably did, but your engine isn't stock and its being revved well past the stock rpm limit.

its not the single rev up to 7800 that'll do the damage, but sustained use, like what happens on a certain german toll road...
Thanks given by:
jam, is this car close to the btcc specd 306? also you planning on putting fibre glass panels on the car?
just to get shot of some un wanted ballast.
nice to see it coming a long!
Thanks given by:
(24-04-2014, 08:54 PM)welshpug Wrote: indeed you probably did, but your engine isn't stock and its being revved well past the stock rpm limit.

its not the single rev up to 7800 that'll do the damage, but sustained use, like what happens on a certain german toll road...

I have more mechanical sympathy than that to be honest....

My engine is stock, bar ARP rod bolts, acl bearings, total seal rings, throttle bodies and cams, exhaust etc.

Also, don't people run PT81's with 1.65mm lift @ TDC without them blowing up? PeterT inlet cams with the same lift as CatCams and have no problems?

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
Pt81's? See pics on last page...

Most likely if they have gone in on standard marks they will be running retarded, not many garages will understand how to time up cams.

I cant remember the last time someone cammed their 6 since the sc kits came out 5 or so years back, i'd bet that those thst did go as wild as a pt81 will have deeper cutouts.
Thanks given by:
I know the pt81's are a lot more lift than these, just trying to prove a point. Some people ran them without issues, some did have issues... BUT, they are significantly higher lift @ tdc than mine.

Mine were timed in with a dial gauge @ 112/112, spec by catcams.

I've been on to Chip Wizards, he said he has a customer who's run two rallycross seasons on a xu10j4rs motor with stock lifters at 8500rpm, and no issues....

JP

oh and also, while I think on... it's logged over 30 hours dyno time during development / testing...
JP
Thanks given by:
Nothing like scaring a man pre-trip!
Thanks given by:
As said, it will probably be OK but I have my concerns given that your head is an unknown quantity

On a standard unskimmed head and timed up correctly, Catcam 106's will be fine. On a heavily skimmed head, they will be very risky. Without knowing how much was taken off the head, or better still having done a dry build, you are taking a chance.

1.5mm is probably about right for the limit on a standard factory fresh engine, but I wouldn't personally want to risk that without a dry build. Remember that the point of least valve clearance isn't actually at TDC but fractionally after, thanks to the cam opening the valves further as it turns but the piston being at the dwell point at the top of it's travel.

I'm willing to bet that most people "successfully" running PT81's probably have them timed up retarded. Certainly there have been numerous failures, such as the one that Mei posted above, and the general concensus is that they're not safe without enlarged valve cutouts.

As for hydraulic lifters, you takes your chances - there's people that have revved them to 8k+ and had no issues, and equally there's people that have had them pump up and trash engines at less than that. There's a good reason why any engine properly built to see those kind of sustained revs will be on solid lifters...

As I said, keep the revs down a little and I'm sure that it'll be fine for the 'Ring trip. Once you're safely back in Blighty and don't have the concerns of a ruined trip and a car stuck hundreds of miles from home, flog it within an inch of its life and see how it goes - like I said, worse case is a £200 consumable engine and a weekend to swap everything.

Enjoy the trip - been far too long since I've been out there myself. Indeed, I've one hell of a craving for currywurst mit pommes and a cold Bitburger right now just thinking about it Big Grin
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
I'll convoy with you, get to passenger around in your GTi and if it blows up we have a means to getting home?!!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Haha... thanks! Smile
JP
Thanks given by:
Well it didn't break, and by hell it was good round the ring. Took some serious machinery to the cleaners...
JP
Thanks given by:
Good show ThumbsUp
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Pics / video?
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Evidence!!!! Smile Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I don't video my laps I'm afraid chaps. Sorry. Too much at stake for me if I bin it / involved in an accident.

Brynllwynog2 took it out for a few laps and I think he video'd one of his, and I know there are a few videos knocking about from people at viewing spots, along with a bunch of photos taken by random people I've never met! :-)

Car did a sterling job, 1400mile round trip, lots of hard driving and it's only failings were snapping a driveshaft on the morning we were going, which I fixed in a mad hurry and scuffing up a wheel arch liner through some enthusiastic use of kerbs when Brynllwynog2 was driving.

Smile

JP

[Image: meandal_zpsa4705322.png]
JP
Thanks given by:
Snapping a 306 XU driveshaft? That's a good effort as they're usually pretty damned hardy!

Base of the splines at the hub end CV or somewhere else?
Thanks given by:
Happy days!
[Image: Atterz.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Short shaft out the box, inner CV....
JP
Thanks given by:
Not actually me driving, it's Brynllwynog2... I was off at Brunchen spectating, but nonetheless a decent 9:38 lap, with loads of traffic and a huge accident bringing Chris to a stop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC1prCF6TTY
JP
Thanks given by:
thats an epic lap!
Thanks given by:
Me and Ally knocked about 30 seconds out of the time on our hottest one... That said, with a totally clear one, and a bit more balls to rev the thing up the hill it WOULD do under 9 minutes absolutely no issue whatsoever.

We were destroying m3s every time we went out...
JP
Thanks given by:
Great lap

The bodies sound lush Big Grin
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
great to see if you have done the ring with this! Plus its survived with only a knackered drive shaft.
i think you need to take this to Knock hill, and work it!
Thanks given by:
Next outing will be French Car Show!! Smile
JP
Thanks given by:
(08-05-2014, 01:15 PM)jammapic Wrote: Next outing will be French Car Show!! Smile

whats the matter, the hill to hardcore for you Tongue
Thanks given by:
FCS is before pugfest this year mate IIRC
Thanks given by:
looking good jamma
306 Rallye giving people a surprise because they think shes a 1.6 ;-) Silly people
Thanks given by:
The guy in the M3 at 1:30 was driving like a complete lady garden.

Looks like a great lap considering the hold ups.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Woah what a lap, considering the hold ups Smile. The car looks so planted and that the chassis can easily take the power
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by: