Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
(14-02-2014, 06:10 AM)Jenkosowls Wrote: What sizes we talking about?

As I said on the last post Mate I haven't got anything that will measure that small Undecided

Thanks given by:
A vernier caliper will measure to 0.1mm

Can be picked up on ebay if thats any use, micrometer would be cheap enough aswell if the vernier isnt small enough increments.

Both cheap enough to get although may not be very accurate tolerances at the cheaper end of the price scale.
Thanks given by:
I have a vernier caliper but only does it in 0.2mm and the shims need to be to 0.05mm, i see how i get on with my bodge with the grinder tomorrow.

In other news i now have a log book for the car Wink so this means the next time i get stressed with it, its highly possible i could scrap it ha ha!

Thanks given by:
Lol dont be so silly Smile

Stop thinking of its worth in monetry value, as youll just get depressed (I do it all the time with my 306 & think what I could have saved up for and had) but then I wouldn't have a quick 306 Wink )

As much as it pains me to think of/add up costs its all a bit of fun Smile the niggles will.be there with any car.

Get yourself a micrometer or a DTI and a flat metal surface. I havent even priced them ill check now
Thanks given by:
I think once engine is in and running and it's all ok I will be alot happier, but I have no faith in my engine building skills, time will tell see how I get on tomorrow with it.

Thanks given by:
Micrometer in a cheaper version will do your .01 mm and will be a good tool to have to accurately measure anything in future. ~ £8-9

Tools are always an investment if theyre quality tools Smile

Draper digital one can be had for £30 which is steep enough if ull never use it again.

Stick at it, I thought a clutch was a hard job before doing mine.

The fact your trying it is a great start and its an experience all the same.
Thanks given by:
Will have to look when I get chance, and yer I'm doing it my self to learn think that's best way. Just have to see how it all goes, I'm sure once it's running and up to its full potential I will fall in love with it untill then I will hate it as much as poss lol

Thanks given by:
dont go grinding shims youl make then weak with the heat then theyl just wear super quick
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped

Thanks given by:
(14-02-2014, 03:40 PM)Jenkosowls Wrote: dont go grinding shims youl make then weak with the heat then theyl just wear super quick

Ok so we're do I get new ones from then?

Thanks given by:
good engine shops like the place you had it skimmed theryl probably have them readily available

Thanks given by:
(14-02-2014, 03:46 PM)Jenkosowls Wrote: good engine shops like the place you had it skimmed theryl probably have them readily available

Ok still think I will grind them get them to the size needed, then can take them to the engine shop and ask for same size as them.

Thanks given by:
But youve said you have no correct way of measuring them...

Service box is showing valve shim sizes

were talking very very very small differences that you cant get with a grinder. give the engine shop a call they may only want a small fee to give correct shims and fitting. Better playing safe with the cost so far

Thanks given by:
(14-02-2014, 03:52 PM)Jenkosowls Wrote: But youve said you have no correct way of measuring them...

Service box is showing valve shim sizes

were talking very very very small differences that you cant get with a grinder. give the engine shop a call they may only want a small fee to give correct shims and fitting. Better playing safe with the cost so far

But there not going to no what shims I need, cos I'm guessing there not all the same, seen as I've re-ground the valve in meaning the might sit higher by a tiny fraction, the only way there gonna no what shims are needed is by leaving the head with them for them to measure it and fit the right shims, that means stripping the engine to bits again, and more money for there service/bits.

Thanks given by:
Measure what you've got, add/subtract the difference between the current clearance and the desired clearance, and you'll know the size shim that you need.

Given the tolerances involved, a set of digital verniers is going to be accurate enough to measure the shims with and they're only a few quid to buy if you don't know anyone with a set. They're a very useful tool to have and a worthy addition to a tool collection.

Peugeot do shims in various sizes, but they're not the cheapest and I would imagine that they're all going to be special order given that most engines in the last 10+ years have had hydraulic tappets. A local engine builder would probably be a better bet in terms of both off the shelf availability and pricing.

I do have a selection of shims from doing various XU 8v engines over the years that I can look through if you get really stuck.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
He hasnt got anything to measure them with as he said, im assuming its being done with feeler gauges and trial & error...?
Thanks given by:
service box shows shims cost <£10 per valve.... expensive!

I would have offered to machine some up but these really do need to hardened still. its hard enough getting tollerences bang on a lathe let alone a grinder.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-Digital-Cali...4acf94bb2c

Thanks given by:
Christ they've gone up - they used to be less than a fiver 2-3 years back and even then they were over twice the price of the local engine builder. Over £10 per shim is bordering on daylight robbery! Speechless
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
(14-02-2014, 04:37 PM)mcglynn Wrote: He hasnt got anything to measure them with as he said, im assuming its being done with feeler gauges and trial & error...?

As you said I haven't got anything that fine to measure them with, feeler gauge and trail and error is the way I've done one of the shims, and it's worked fine. Will see how I get on with it tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Tbh if I hadn't fitted the head I would have just taken that to the engine shop got them to sort it but now head fitted means stripping it down again if worst comes to worst I will have to do that.

Thanks given by:
Learning curve buddy, learning curve!

Ive never had a head off and im due to attempt a headgasket on a mates a3 tdi in the next few weeks. Shall be fun lol!
Thanks given by:
(14-02-2014, 05:05 PM)mcglynn Wrote: Learning curve buddy, learning curve!

Ive never had a head off and im due to attempt a headgasket on a mates a3 tdi in the next few weeks. Shall be fun lol!

It defo is best way to learn is by doing it Wink somethings I won't touch tho like Bosch pump leave that to the professionals aka Jenks Wink

Thanks given by:
Update

Sorted the shims after lots of messing and using the shims out the old engine i got them right in the end, finished bolting most things on and then put it in car will let the pics do the talking

t2 vs gt20

[Image: 205engine13_zpsc075ead5.jpg]

how far had to carry engine well this was just the back garden had to go round the side and to the drive

[Image: 205engine12_zpse31beef7.jpg]
[Image: 205engine11_zpsaf3e9448.jpg]

And its in

[Image: 205engine10_zpsacb144b4.jpg]

So loads to still get done but least its in the car now.......

Comments welcome Smile

Thanks given by:
You didnt put the belt covers on first?!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Wheres the cambelt covers??
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(15-02-2014, 03:21 PM)Tom Wrote: You didnt put the belt covers on first?!

(15-02-2014, 03:22 PM)Jimbo Wrote: Wheres the cambelt covers??

2 reasons one is the bolts/nuts you gave me tom with the covers dont fit none of them so no bolts for them even the bottom cover is only resting there, and second reason is i want to be able to see the cambelt when i first start it to make sure its ok when spinning round.

Thanks given by:

In a box from me that he got from me yesturday Undecided

Hmm well that seems odd. What do you mean fit? Dont thread in? dont fit in the covers? I almost 100% sure that the bottom belt cover had those 2 little 10mm's in.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(15-02-2014, 03:26 PM)Tom Wrote:

In a box from me that he got from me yesturday Undecided

Hmm well that seems odd. What do you mean fit? Dont thread in? dont fit in the covers? I almost 100% sure that the bottom belt cover had those 2 little 10mm's in.

read the comment above yours Wink

Thanks given by:
That doesnt really explain how they "dont fit", its not very specific...
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(15-02-2014, 03:32 PM)Tom Wrote: That doesnt really explain how they "dont fit", its not very specific...

How more specific do you want me to be?! The bolts don't fit some are to long some are wrong thread etc

Doesn't matter I will look for some next time I go to scrappy.

Edit I didn't see your edit of your last comment.

Thanks given by:
(15-02-2014, 03:26 PM)Chris_90 Wrote: and second reason is i want to be able to see the cambelt when i first start it to make sure its ok when spinning round.

this is a fair good idea; when i did my belt first time there was slack somewhere along the line which i wouldn't have seen otherwise. Could see the slack from the amount of up and down movement on the belt when it was running but couldn't be felt when not running.

The covers aren't particularly hard to fit when the engine is in ...
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  theodore the xud turbo sleeper. pugmanxud 51 8,740 22-05-2016, 12:56 PM
Last Post: bashbarnard
  205 DT sleeper - boosting video pg10 and pg11 ginge191 466 265,540 29-10-2013, 06:02 AM
Last Post: ginge191
  Phase 1 sigma sleeper pug_dturb 3 2,168 21-05-2013, 08:31 PM
Last Post: pug_dturb