Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
GUIDE: Dewipering
#31
mate of mine recomended i stuck my grommet in place to save it being nicked! i used superglue and it seems to have done the trick so far.
#32
On the estates you can use a toilet flusher blank from b&q. Cost a couple of quid and only come in white but a bit of spray paint and its whatever colour you choose. They have the advantage of an o ring and threaded so theres no way your going to push it through like a grommit. Wont work on the hatch as the hole on the estate is much bigger.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
#33
(06-03-2013, 10:13 AM)C.A.R. Wrote: Just to bump this, I ended up fitting a 20mm blanking cap from eBay. The guy advertises them for VAG cars but he made me this one as a one-off. If you want to order one you need to ask for a 20mm, he might be interested in a group buy promotion but there would need to be interest.

It's a much smarter looking finish and is flush with the glass. Excuse the pictures, I need to clean the car and take some better ones.

[Image: 86DA3246-7C0B-4A9E-9B0A-CBF2066BD43C-108...89946A.jpg]

[Image: B0ED1277-E72B-49F2-82C1-4315C614AEDE-108...839DAC.jpg]

How much did this cost you? Is it waterproof?
[Image: attachment.php?aid=9919]
#34
Useful guide, I managed to not break anything, will just need to tape up the electrics when I can be bothered. Only did this because the car wash ripped it off, suppose it was already delicate as it was cracked.

Just a note, the 19mm grommet didnt fit my XS although a 17mm fit perfectly, good job it was a multi pack!
#35
Im not 100% sure why people struggle getting wipers or steering wheels (anything with splines off). Just grab it at the longest point and wiggle (with the nut removed) and it will eventually work loose. There is always exceptions, like a steering wheel thats been loctited to its splines (RUAN!) but otherwise thats how i get them off every time!

Other than that, great guide!
[Image: Atterz.jpg]
#36
Most of the ones I have had to remove are just rusted solid. Hacksaw comes in handy but it means you cant sell on the motor!
#37
I made a puller to get the wiper of the the motor out of a piece of box section, large but and bolt.
#38
(17-09-2013, 05:16 PM)SRowell Wrote: Most of the ones I have had to remove are just rusted solid. Hacksaw comes in handy but it means you cant sell on the motor!

Pretty much this. However i Had an angle grinder to hand :-P
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
#39
CLICK

Another good alternative once its had a quick coat of black paint. Much more secure and a water tight seal.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
#40
To get the wiper arm off does it pull off or unscrew? I can't seem to budge it, I've used wd40 and it's not coming off
#41
Take the nut off, then just wiggle it, not too hard though, as you could break the window
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
#42
Success!
#43
Well done! And you didnt even smash the window Big Grin
#44
(23-04-2014, 05:51 PM)SRowell Wrote: Well done! And you didnt even smash the window Big Grin

Very proud of myself haha Smile pain in the ass to get the wiper arm off though
#45
I might have to do this, I just ripped my wiper arm off...it was already cracked! This is a bit of a beater finish though!
#46
My wiper js pulled off as i was fiddling with it today, it just broke in half at the spline lol
Hopefully the rest should be an easy job tomorrow
#47
If you're having trouble getting it off the rusty spline soak it in penetrant spray and wiggle it a bit to let it get down inside all the splines. It will make it easier.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
#48
Mine snapped in half at the spline with very little force, i was just messing with it and next thing the whole wiper is in my hands lol

I just have the spline with the nut on it at the moment, i guess i was lucky i didnt have the problem of a rusty spline/stuck wiper Smile
#49
I just cut some vinyl around a lid about 40mm across. Job done.
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club


2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
#50
(23-04-2014, 12:20 PM)Slam Wagon Wrote: CLICK

Another good alternative once its had a quick coat of black paint. Much more secure and a water tight seal.

Thats what i ended up using, £2 from B&Q

[Image: 55299B69-3142-4ED3-A459-E6AD494F8B92_zpsz9jjvlo5.jpg]

[Image: E5075844-5B20-4D60-96B1-67E8BE1A71BA_zpsj54kkmwz.jpg]
#51
So, any ideas how to get this off?

[Image: IMG_20140828_173027548_zpsam1x9xpi.jpg]
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
#52
Hacksaw. You wont get it off with pliers or mole grips or plusgas or anything lol, just gotta cut it off!
#53
Without damaging the bit underneath...? Balls.
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
#54
I've done it more than once, if I can manage not to damage anything I'm sure any one else can! Big Grin
#55
How though lol, its so awkward to get at! It's alright I had a better idea, I'll use the little cutting disks for the dremel that they use for composites at uni.
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
#56
yeh ive seen that happen a few times. Maybe soaking it in diesel would free it up?
#57
Well heres my prefered method.

- Remove as usual.

- Stick a cheap grommet in but from the inside rather than the outside.

- As the cheap grommets usually come up short this will hold a 1p coin in while you wait for the glue to set but you may have to trim the grommet to get it to sit perfectly flush.

- If you sand the face of the coin perfectly flat and make sure its flush you'll get the best effect.

- The glue should seal it perfectly.

[attachment=18634]




Cut a circle of black vinyl just larger than the circle of damage from the original large outer washer on the glass (not a tomb stone shape as shown here) and stick it on once the glue has dried.

[attachment=18635]




And this is the finished effect (once I'd cut a smaller circle of some vinyl that was a better black) If you fit a sun strip to a car that will give you a nice off cut to do this.

[attachment=18636]
#58
Dum-dum, that looks spot on, especially in the last pic. Will end up doing this to mine soon

Also, how do you open the boot if you smooth it like you have done?
#59
(29-08-2014, 10:43 PM)Iceman299 Wrote: Dum-dum, that looks spot on, especially in the last pic. Will end up doing this to mine soon

Also, how do you open the boot if you smooth it like you have done?


I *think* theres a guide on here. search the guides section for posts by my username.

Long story short rip all the gubbins out, get a bike spoke and link the bit that goes from the button to the original locking solenoid then swap some wires about between the plugs so that you can use the rear wiper switch to pop the boot.
#60
Funny this. I wish the fat Datsun had a wiper. Always handy to see who is following you.


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)