GUIDE: Dewipering

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GUIDE: Dewipering
Hello and welcome to my guide to dewiper your 306! I have a phase 3 but it should be similar for most. I realise that most people are pretty capable of doing it on their own but I guess a guide is always good! :p

What you need:
  • 12mm Socket
  • 13mm Socket
  • T20 Torx Piece
  • 19mm Grommet NB1
  • Electrical Tape
  • WD40[/list:u]

NB1: I got my grommet from halfords in a 'aerial pack' Its not quite deep enough to fit through the glass but it does the job. You can get larger ones that will fit by searching '306 dewiper' on ebay however they are quite large and don't smooth down into the glass.

NB2: I believe that Phase 1's have the water pump built into the motor mechanism so you will need to detach the hoses and bung it up. There are a few ways of doing this. You can either fold the hose back on itself and cable tie it tight so water cant come out, apparently one of the motor bolts is an exact fit for the hose so you can bung it up with a bolt, you can just silicon it all up, or you can disconnect/cut the hose at the washer bottle located in front of the drivers side wheel arch.

[Image: 2011-05-26180147.jpg]

1. Take your wiper and give the cover on the base of the blade a little tug. It should come off pretty easily to reveal a nut.

[Image: 2011-05-26180155.jpg]
    [Image: 2011-05-26180203.jpg]

2. Using a 13mm socket undo this bolt. It may be pretty seized up so WD40 will be your new best friend! It may be pretty difficult to get off so it is worth protecting your rear window from this point on so you dont break it!

[Image: 2011-05-26180215.jpg]

3. Once you have got that nut off you need to get the wiper arm off. This is the trickiest bit to do. Again more WD40 and perhaps a while for it to soak in. I wrapped my arm in a tea-towel and got a set of mole-grips on it. Keep twisting it anti-clockwise and eventually it should start to undo. Keep spinning the arm anti-clockwise and it should come all the way off.

[Image: 2011-05-26180230.jpg]

4. You will now be left with something like the below. The next washer should twist off easier than the last.

[Image: 2011-05-26180300.jpg]

5. Now you should have something like this...

[Image: 2011-05-26180325.jpg]

6. Go to the inside of the boot lid and undo the screws that hold in the black motor cover.There is about 10 torx screws that should come out using a T20 piece.

[Image: 2011-05-26180340.jpg]

7. Disconnect the red and yellow plugs and undo the two bolts holding in the wiper motor with a 12mm socket. You should now be able to give the motor a bit of a twist and pull it out. Now you can remove the rubber seal around the glass. [COLOR="#ff0000"]NB2:[/COLOR]

[Image: 2011-05-26180544.jpg]
    [Image: 2011-05-26180801.jpg]

8. You should now have lots of parts lying around so keep them all together to put in a bag later.

[Image: 2011-05-26180727.jpg]

9. Tape up the red and yellow plugs to avoid any electrical mishaps and then put the wiper motor cover back on. The screws are pretty shoddy so they may just keep to spin. Best thing to do is just to keep doing them up until there is a little resistance and then leave them like that.

[Image: 2011-05-26181705.jpg]

10. Shut your boot lid and fit your grommet! Some people use a bit of silicon to make it water tight and stop people poking it through!

[Image: 2011-05-26181225.jpg]

Job Done! Big Grin

[Image: 2011-05-26181243.jpg]

Hope this helped a few people who wondered but never knew how to do it! You shouldn't have broken anything so keep all the pieces and put them in a bag so you can rewiper in the winter or if you sell your car!
Thanks given by:
I take no responsibility for how this goes for you! All I can say is dont force anything, dont use hammers and use lots of wd40!

[Image: De-Wiperyo.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Also a lot of the time the wiper arm gets seized on. Lots of wd40 and some light hammer taps...very light though. All else fails (like mine did) then i got the angle grinder out lol
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
hit mine with my wheel brace. and pulled bloody hard. heard cracking,thought it was the window, and the bloody wiper snapped of in my hand. out with the grinder
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Used a hacksaw last time I had to get a wiper motor off
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
SRowell Wrote:I take no responsibility for how this goes for you! All I can say is dont force anything, dont use hammers and use lots of wd40!

Look on the bright side, there is no wiper on it anymore, lol, but yeah, forcing things is not the way forward!
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
Angle Grinder is overkill, hacksaw is much easier no need to get the extension leads out
[Image: 306oc_zpsf2d249a4.jpg]
Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:Look on the bright side, there is no wiper on it anymore, lol, but yeah, forcing things is not the way forward!

And he ended up with a new screen and all of the heating strips working Tongue
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
SRowell Wrote:I take no responsibility for how this goes for you! All I can say is dont force anything, dont use hammers and use lots of wd40!

i will agree with this managed to smash my windscreen after forcing my interior mirror on too hard lol
Thanks given by:
My mate did this before, forgot to take the one bit off the outside
Thanks given by:
Looks straight forward. I wanna do my golf as the rear wiper isnt working anyway...
[Image: kaetensiggy.jpg]
Thanks given by:
hacksaw for me. didnt want the risk of smashing the window. if in dought, hacksaw it.
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
N.B. - Note #4 - mole grips on the screw washer - does NOT come off easy Wink
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
I sawed my mates wiper off!
[Image: Foxy2.jpg]
Thanks given by:
just twist it and it will pop straight off
Thanks given by:
A saw also works fine haha.
[Image: Foxy2.jpg]
Thanks given by:
^^^ some people enjoy keeping their wiper incase they wish to put it back on...
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Going to have a go at it. My first phase 1 had already had it done.. Should of nicked the grommet before insurance took it away Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(11-01-2012, 10:38 PM)Daniel306 Wrote: just twist it and it will pop straight off

Really?

[Image: A5B3ACF7-5E03-4883-ACA1-1A7C805DE174-189...D71F36.jpg]

Got to the bolt and as I was un bolting it, somehow the glass just shattered.... I was in shock, which lasted a whole... 0.9 of a second then laughed and replaced it with a pre de wipered boot! lmao
Thanks given by:
D: bad luck! good job i put that big disclaimer!
Thanks given by:
Yep! Otherwise you would be paying....

lmao

Just joking, but I cant believe how easy it is to shatter these rear windows!
Thanks given by:
Has anyone used any of the eBay type 'Screw in' dewiper grommets? Made of solid plastic by the looks of it with a nylon locknut on the inside of the glass.

Says they have a 50mm diameter though which seems a little bit big? And they're a good £8!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Would think that is a bit big considering its twice the size lol, I've not seen them though.
Thanks given by:
Well the 50mm is the diameter of the outermost part designed to sit flush with the glass if that makes sense, the actual part which goes through the hole is much narrower. I'll get a pic...

[Image: Bung_zps66f7dd39.jpg]

Not worth nearly £10, but interesting idea and I wonder where they could be had cheaper?
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
Thanks given by:
Ah I see, I'd want some sort of rubber seal on it to make it water tight, but otherwise would be ok I reckon. Maybe have a look in B&Q (or other diy store lol) next time you're there for anything similar.....
Thanks given by:
(07-01-2013, 12:27 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Ah I see, I'd want some sort of rubber seal on it to make it water tight, but otherwise would be ok I reckon. Maybe have a look in B&Q (or other diy store lol) next time you're there for anything similar.....

B&Q sell them as 'blind grommets' I believe, they are rubber and definitely waterproof, I tested with a pressure washer :p
You have to buy them in like packs of 25 though so if I find my pack your more than welcome to one
Thanks given by:
(07-01-2013, 01:07 PM)vlj Wrote:
(07-01-2013, 12:27 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Ah I see, I'd want some sort of rubber seal on it to make it water tight, but otherwise would be ok I reckon. Maybe have a look in B&Q (or other diy store lol) next time you're there for anything similar.....

B&Q sell them as 'blind grommets' I believe, they are rubber and definitely waterproof, I tested with a pressure washer :p
You have to buy them in like packs of 25 though so if I find my pack your more than welcome to one

What, that screw in place like in the ad CAR posted??

I have a pack of the normal ones lol, not that I'm gonna dewiper anyway though.
Thanks given by:
Why not use a blank off a pov spec 106 only £2.86 from pug!
[Image: bootbung_zps318e1fc1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Good idea! I know Ive heard that somewhere before and im not sure if it did work or not. If you want to get one or you have one fitted post below and Ill add it to the guide!
Thanks given by:
Just to bump this, I ended up fitting a 20mm blanking cap from eBay. The guy advertises them for VAG cars but he made me this one as a one-off. If you want to order one you need to ask for a 20mm, he might be interested in a group buy promotion but there would need to be interest.

It's a much smarter looking finish and is flush with the glass. Excuse the pictures, I need to clean the car and take some better ones.

[Image: 86DA3246-7C0B-4A9E-9B0A-CBF2066BD43C-108...89946A.jpg]

[Image: B0ED1277-E72B-49F2-82C1-4315C614AEDE-108...839DAC.jpg]
Thanks given by: