Locating faulty ABS Sensor

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Locating faulty ABS Sensor
So DeeTurbo helped (well mainly done himself) swap my rear beam over to a known good one last weekend and the car now sits square (ish!) which I'm enjoying.

However one of the ABS sensors on the new beam isn't playing ball. I knew one had a crack in the casing but we checked the resistance and it seemed fine before it went on.

Will plugging the car in to PP indicate what sensor is playing up?

What is the best way of removing the sensors? As these seem pretty f*cking solid!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Anyone?! This is going to be a case of checking them individually with a multimeter isn't it? Sad
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
Thanks given by:
I don't think PP2K will identify individual faulty sensors. Just a system error. I could be wrong though.

Takes 5 minutes to check the sensors mate. Doubt you will even have to jack the car up if you're nimble.
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
How do you get past the dust sheild to test them though bud?
Thanks given by:
Dust shield?

Unplug the sensors at the grey plug and get your multimeter in there. Correction to my previous post: You would need the car jacked up to spin the wheel to check for a reading.

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
I get you; that was my original plan - just wondered if there was an easier way of doing it.

So flick the multimeter to resistance (Ohms) and hope for what exactly? Obviously there are two pins on the sensor, what should they be reading?

Sorry for the total noobishness. Rep in order methinks...
Thanks given by:
No, you want to be checking for voltage mate.

Anything between 3-7+'ve IIRC

x

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Diagnostic equipment will tell you which sensor is not receiving signal
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ah reet, cheers fellas. Assuming ign. needs to be on whilst testing then?
Thanks given by:
Normally a code reader/diagnostic tool will need the ignition on
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
Thanks given by:
Sorry dude, I'm talking about when I test the sensor plug with a multimeter.
Thanks given by:
Oh sorry lol well I'm thinking (this might be all bollocks lol ) but it shouldn't need to be on, as its a magnetic pick up, and that's what creats and sends the signal
Thanks given by:
Pp2k will identify the bad sensor so plug jt in and take it out. Once you know which one, rip it out with mulgrips leaving the plastic casing in the beam then smash that out with a screwdriver. Easy
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=117555

bosh.
Thanks given by:
Well today I tried to salvage one of the ABS sensors off my old beam (cos I knew they worked).

Har-de-har these things are never coming out. I eventually managed to remove it but it snapped clean in half.

How much are sensors new? Pattern or genuine parts?

Just realised I have 5 weeks til the MOT so this will need sorting.
Thanks given by:
You put your multimeter on ohms to test abs sensors, spin the wheel and the reading will vary, a f*cked sensor will show no reading usually.
Thanks given by:
Right,

Just took a multimeter to the car, tested the sensor I thought was playing up. I set the meter to 10v to start off with, got a colleague to spin the wheel and tried to take a measurement. First I grounded the meter out against the chassis but then I tested voltage across both pins - not a thing.

Did I test it right? It sounds knackered. I didn't have time to test another sensor to see what readings I should have been getting.
Thanks given by:
tested mine recently, disconnected at the plug, inserted dmm probes into plug contacts, meter set to 10k ohms, saw 1350ohms from memory range from 1.2 to 3.1 k ohms?? test procedure on here somewhere............meter set to Vac saw just over 1 vac when spun by hand.........
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shock locating tab Niall 6 1,783 01-04-2013, 12:27 PM
Last Post: Ben