Grey smoke when accellerating

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grey smoke when accellerating
Started my car today and its started throwing white/grey smoke out when i accellerate. This was worse before the engine warmed up fully and when warm was a lot worse under heavy accelleration.

Im hoping its something that can be sorted easily, i have a new set of glow plugs which i'll fit tomorrow and have put some millers injection cleaner in the fuel today to see if this helps. After ideas what could be causing this as its been fine up until today.
Thanks given by:
It could be the head gasket if its white /grey,keep an eye on the temp gauge and check for it over pressurising the cooling system.
Thanks given by:
Head gasket, happened a 306 i had ages ago. Thought it was the turbo, but then through time started mixing oil with water badly! check for that as well imo.

Mine didnt overheat at all, always sat at 80. So beware different symptoms for HG failure.
Thanks given by:
Could be a few things, light grey/blue smoke is burning oil, dark grey smoke is unburnt fuel and steam is also white/grey and is obviously water.
Thanks given by:
What does the smoke behave like, does it dissipate in the air like steam or move like a cloud down the street?
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Hey guys, firstly thanks for the responses so far. It does send a small amount of dark grey smoke out when laboured at low revs. I've checked for the symptoms of hg failure, the cooling system isn't pressurising any more than it was before, I can't see any signs of water in the oil or oil in the water.
@londondan. The smoke doesn't dissipate like steam, it lingers in the road and slowly disappears. I thought maybe water in the fuel or incorrect timing but surely that would be all the time not just when the engines cool?
Thanks given by:
I get this, when it's hot or cold and no other signs of HG failure. I think personally it's air in the fuel system, my pump is leaking and I think it's sucking in air...
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
only happens when engine is cool then?
sounds like unburnt diesel, most likely a dead glowplug
Thanks given by:
My guess would be water in the tank/filter housing
MG ZR TD+ - gone and easily forgotten
Fabia vRS PD130 - New daily
Astra H VXR - new toy!
Thanks given by:
(13-01-2013, 10:05 PM)sweeney1987 Wrote: only happens when engine is cool then?
sounds like unburnt diesel, most likely a dead glowplug

Agreed, check your glowies
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Drain water out of fuel filter. just sounds like coal to me mine smokes whiteish grey on startup from cold but clears when warm and is just a glowie and cba changing it lol
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'll give the water drain plug a go and see if that improves it, I have another set of glowies to go in when i get time. Thanks guys.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rough startup....smoke.. lots of smoke.. toseland 8 3,976 17-06-2014, 10:35 PM
Last Post: madmadmax
  XUD running rough and grey smoke. possible Hydro HDIkyle 4 1,822 09-07-2012, 03:07 PM
Last Post: HDIkyle