Rough startup....smoke.. lots of smoke..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rough startup....smoke.. lots of smoke..
Strange as it may seem, after a head gasket, and valve seals, i am having a smokey, nasty startup some of the time (when cold or when it has been left to cool down to "temp guage cold"), it is still reasonably intermittant, sometimes it starts up first time not a whiff of smoke, other times it runs like a bag of spanners..

Not losing oil, not using coolant, always starts on the first turn of the key just runs like a lumpy bag of shit with lots of white dieselly smoke until there is a little heat in the block (maybe 60-120 seconds of run)..

when its up and running it seems fine,

when its hot and starts its fine.. no smoke on boost, no white or blue smoke evident, pulls well when warm, and incidently through the cold-ness..

it HAS had the fuel turned up a tad (about 45degrees of turn on it)
New timing belt, but was doing something similar prior to me doing this so dont think its the timing. I advanced it a smudge anyway (looking at the pully, pump and assembly moved about 10degrees anticlockwise) and this seemed to nicely smooth out and raise the revs at idle, however has potentially contributed to lower power when warm and pulling

Coolant hoses still getting more solid when hot, not lost one yet however.

what else i have done:

New head gasket (thought maybe this was it)

new exhaust intercooler seals

Cylinder walls looked good as new when looking at them, all of the original hone marks were still visible, no damage or cracking on the pistons was visible either, head was flat and pressure tested appropriately,

new fuel filter

tried cycling glow plugs twice- to see-

new oil, filter,

new fresh clean coolant (no bubbles, no oil in it as yet)

also had a nice set of new squirty bits,

running lucas, no IC, no boost compensator, all pipes are tight, as is the fuel filter, all fuel lines are new (from solids) recently replaced with nice quality stuff.

fuel filter is new

possibility that it was run on veg by the previous which has killed the seals but there are no diesel leaks,

Air in the pump? time to go bosch? 2.1 upgrade time?

i am really at a loss..

Interestingly, on the pump i have a small electrical connection, blue, 3 wire plug (with 2 wires into it) this seems to control the cold start idle.. without this plugged in it runs like hell, with it, it runs nicely, but still occasionally is lumpy and smokey.. which i thought was odd.

is it possible that i have a semi-ecu controlled pump with electronic ignition advance of some sort? i can get some photos of it if needs be.
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Try adjusting the advance/retard on the pump
Thanks given by:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6827...AG0304.jpg

thats the offending blue plug..

how would i go about doing that? apart from unbolting the 3 bolts on the face of the pump and rotating the whole assembly
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Exactly that.. its 10 mins work lol, loosen them off abit and do it with engine running lol
Thanks given by:
any idea about that blue plug...

some sort of electrical advance? it REALLY runs hellishly when cold with that unplugged...
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Sounds like it needs more timing to me.

I'm not 100% what you mean when you say "10 degrees anti clockwise".. Depending which way you look at the pump, it changes!

Grab the top of the pump and the top should push towards the intercooler/rocker cover. If you look at the pump where it mates to the bracket (NOT the cambelt side) the rotation should be clockwise if viewed from the pump side.

That's the advance direction.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(16-06-2014, 09:57 PM)Ruan Wrote: Sounds like it needs more timing to me.

I'm not 100% what you mean when you say "10 degrees anti clockwise".. Depending which way you look at the pump, it changes!

Grab the top of the pump and the top should push towards the intercooler/rocker cover. If you look at the pump where it mates to the bracket (NOT the cambelt side) the rotation should be clockwise if viewed from the pump side.

That's the advance direction.

it was 10degrees in advance, or so, top of the pump towards the rocker.. Anti clockwise is looking from the timing belt, across the engine to the gearbox (would be the drivers side to the passanger side)

still no idea what this blue plug is for?..

i am gonna fiddle with the timing..

i assume its similar to a petrol with this, the sweet spot will be where exactly? where it reaches its peak in revs and starts to decline again? - not timed a derv before
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Turn it til it knocks like f*ck, then retard until it stops lol
Thanks given by:
there is something funny going on hear as your throttle lever dose not sit on its stop, unless you have some one in the car with there foot on the pedal.

i would start by getting the throttler lever to stop and moving on from there
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Big Grin Black Smoke - help sprange67 1 1,043 28-05-2021, 11:02 PM
Last Post: ekjdm14
  Xud9 White smoke and primer wont stay hard Donny165 5 2,560 13-07-2020, 12:22 AM
Last Post: ekjdm14
  Smoke off boost Iaitoo 9 2,723 24-02-2016, 12:17 PM
Last Post: Iaitoo