MPG on a blast

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MPG on a blast
Just wondering. If you go out and blast for a whole tank whats your MPG?

I got less than 450 miles out of mine before the fuel light came on and I hadn't been hanging about. Worked out at about 35mpg on a 9mm pump
Thanks given by:
never filled my tank up when when im in the mood i get about 43 miles to a tenner. normaly about 53 so dont know what that is in mpg. always wanted to know.
my old coupe did 16 miles to £10. love the noise lol.
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Not far off that. If I hoon for the whole tank (considering I'm in Norfolk and all my roads are back roads) I get about 40mpg.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Why do you fill a tank before going for a hoon? Detrimental to power to weight having a full tank.... No point in having more than 20l or so...
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
The worse ive ever got was about 40 miles on £20 before the fuel light came on, that was on welsh mountain roads putting an m3 to shame.
since going to a big turbo i have defiantly noticed a huge increase in motorway mpg, i guess its because 5th gear at 70mph is about 2100rpm so not on boost. soon as the turbo kicks in though you can watch the fuel gauge go down as the revs build up lol
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(06-01-2013, 10:19 AM)Ed Doe Wrote: Why do you fill a tank before going for a hoon? Detrimental to power to weight having a full tank.... No point in having more than 20l or so...

Because I'm lazy and have more torque than you to move the extra weight.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
(06-01-2013, 10:24 AM)ozonehostile Wrote: The worse ive ever got was about 40 miles on £20 before the fuel light came on, that was on welsh mountain roads putting an m3 to shame.
since going to a big turbo i have defiantly noticed a huge increase in motorway mpg, i guess its because 5th gear at 70mph is about 2100rpm so not on boost. soon as the turbo kicks in though you can watch the fuel gauge go down as the revs build up lol

M3 replica then and you had a leak Smile

2100 revs at 70 f*ck me not even hdi goes that low
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(06-01-2013, 10:29 AM)CJ_Derv Wrote: M3 replica then and you had a leak Smile

2100 revs at 70 f*ck me not even hdi goes that low

really? whats an hdi at 70mph, im using a 405 d turbo box since i had a low mileage one knocking about, ive heard people say that the 405 box has slightly longer ratios but i never noticed tbh
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
I'd heard a rumour the Xantia box was slightly longer too so there may be an element of truth in that
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I duno im happy with a dturbo box for short ratios and acceleration, and iirc the hdi has a bit of a gap between certain gears so dont know what that would be like but 2100is fuckin low mate

Dont see the poibt of tuning something to go fast and get mpg haha

I use ultimate diesel put £50 and got 240 roughly, never brimmed tank but that showed half a tank
Think ultimate was about 1.59 a litre but doible nectar points haha
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
HDi is around 2250 at 70 iirc, seems high to me after 70 in 6th being just under 2k in my previous car lol. No wonder XUDs rinse fuel at speed!!

HDi gearbox is a bit crap though, finding the torque isn't easy as you keep dropping out of the powerband! If they'd stuck a small VNT on there instead of the standard GT15 I reckon it'd be much better on the HDi box....

Edit - That was a typo btw - supposed to be 2450rpm at 70!
Thanks given by:
i agree that it is abit pointless tuning a car if your only after ultimate mpg figures, but it is nice to be able to drive somewhere without having to stop at every petrol station along the way, i had a lotus elise and it gets tiresome pretty quick haha.also, not boosting until i put my foot down is also useful for the general health of the engine as it means engine bay temps stay nice and low when just cruising. the turbo kicks out some serious heat after prolonged booting it
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
HDi box is 2400-2450 rpm at 70mph. Not even the HDi Eco box is as low as 2100 at 70mph. I might have to run to service box to look at gear ratios. Maybe I want to get a 405 box lol.

Ed I hate the effort of filling up with fuel so do it as infrequently as possible. The difference between a half tank and a full tank is only about 20kg so i wouldnt worry too much.

I want to see If i can get my diesel down to 10mpg. I dont think thats possible even on a track. (suppose ill find out at PPCITP)
Thanks given by:
Kris changed his box to a HDI one, question why.
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
(06-01-2013, 11:42 AM)Anton Wrote: Kris changed his box to a HDI one, question why.

I thought that too, think he said longer gears for better economy.
Thanks given by:
Don't get much in dturbo ATM Becuase I have a manifold leak ATM.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
i think the hdi box is longer across the whole range while the 405 box only has the longer 5th, so unless your on a flat motorway it makes no difference. i never realised 2100 was low, ive always thought that it could do with either a very long ratio 5th or a 6th gear, but there you go, now i know better. people often forget how much of a difference wheel/tyre size choices make when it comes to acceleration/mpg performance. like all the golf boys who put 19" rims on a car that orginally came with 15"s then wander why all the acceleration has gone....
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
About 18/20mpg on a tank of veg, mind you that is with a fair amount of unburnt fuel shitting out the exhaust!
[Image: brokendown-1-1-1.jpg]

Dturbo GT2259s build thread;
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-3692.html

Daily driver; 330d Msport (doesn't blow up!)
Thanks given by:
405 box is a longer 5th only but same final drive as a dturbo box.

I hear people always booing about HDi box but why when people on a Dturbo box say i was pulling away from them it's my tune and not the longer final drive............Just Saying whistle
Don't worry about what I'm doing, I want you to worry about what you're doing
Thanks given by:
Yeah, my DT if I nailed it would do about 40-42mpg... At home I used to average around 47-50mpg on backroads just with everyday driving and hooning... That's with a DT box.

Xantia boxes aren't shorter on the D8B lumps, though the DHX lumps may be different.

Dumdum, if you get your DT to 10mpg, the precups will fall out the head and it'll be cracked to absolute shit... The amount of heat to be dissipated if you're burning that much fuel, there's NO way the standard head will keep up...

HDi boxes are wank if you have a car that remotely likes to rev... The horrific gaps between gears on a DT box is just accentuated by the long final drive in a HDi box and you just drop off the power every gear change... 3rd>4th>5th in HDis and DTs is FINE, it's just a shame 1st>2nd>3rd are all AWFUL ratio changes... If you granny your car round, they're fine, they keep the revs low etc, but they have terrible ratios for performance.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(06-01-2013, 10:24 AM)ozonehostile Wrote: i guess its because 5th gear at 70mph is about 2100rpm so not on boost. soon as the turbo kicks in though you can watch the fuel gauge go down as the revs build up lol

My Clio 197 is about here in 5th. I definately need a D-Turbo soon. The clio gets 18mpg if i'm lucky.
Thanks given by:
It's only on a tuned Lucas but my DT will not do less than 500 to a tank even sat in heavy traffic every day to work and back and then hooning the rest of the time, it seems to run on air! Maybe because it's on less than 100k, that's the only thing I can think of...
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Im doing this atm, but on veg. Im at halfway and ive covered high 200 miles..
Thanks given by: