new engine. which would you choose and why?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new engine. which would you choose and why?
loom, belts, top mount(?), ecu, not sure but i though bottom end was different too...so need whole engine.
few pipes too

would want better brakes I expect and budget a clutch as you may aswel fit one while box is out.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
buy a cheap xud can pick on up for about £300 then have epic boost with nice coal Smile
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
or epic boost and well setup pump and no coal plus cheap veg oil fuel
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(01-01-2013, 01:51 PM)karl1989 Wrote: buy a cheap xud can pick on up for about £300 then have epic boost with nice coal Smile

Wouldn't I have to change everything. Derv has crossed my mind but thought that 2 much is involved.
Anyway, always had my heart set on a dturbo so would love a separate one for another project.
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
yeah you could buy a dturbo, swap all the bits,
then sell the 1.6 bits and old shell and probably end up paying for itself
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I'd sign up to 106owners/saxperience. You'll find the information about loom ect.
Thanks given by:
(01-01-2013, 01:11 PM)kingy Wrote: It's looking like a 16v then. Will I have to change the loom?
8v to 16v, so yeah you will
MG ZR TD+ - gone and easily forgotten
Fabia vRS PD130 - New daily
Astra H VXR - new toy!
Thanks given by:
Is it a big job to change the loom. Sorry for sounding like a newbe. I normally pay to get all my work done.
Thanks given by:
ask diggers he converted the 106 to derv. also THE-liam has a ph1 being stripped sure he would sort a deal out with you Smile

is this yours on swapz?

[Image: 50e1ceaf08b41_1.jpg?rand=60601137]
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
Changing the loom while te engine is out is easy.

If definatly be going 1.6 16v on bodies or turbo'd.

Something I wanted to do a while ago.
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
No it's not mate. Got my heart set on 16v now bud.
Thanks given by:
Good to hear. If you need a hand with anything, looked into it quite abit few years back. Have some pages saved on my old laptop which had interesting thread/builds. I'll see if I can find them or you
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Matt, top man. That would be very helpfull. Thanks.
Thanks given by:
if you went for super revvy 16v...like 8500rpm and on throttle bodies with a aftermarket ecu, you wouldnt need different loom iirc

and it would be epic
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
kingy, remember to hear that replacement engine your putting in 1st ( best buy a donor car) , also read up throwly on everything before you do anything. even see a car that has had that convertion done. Ask the owner questions too. look at build threads.
last thing you want is to be spending on things you dont need and chopping and welding mounts. as you will knack a pefectly good car!
take lots of photos of everything before, during and after.
it is highly anoying when people give out bum info! i would have got shot, if i hadnt bought the donor car.
best of luck pal
Thanks given by:
(01-01-2013, 07:51 PM)procta Wrote: kingy, remember to hear that replacement engine your putting in 1st ( best buy a donor car) , also read up throwly on everything before you do anything. even see a car that has had that convertion done. Ask the owner questions too. look at build threads.
last thing you want is to be spending on things you dont need and chopping and welding mounts. as you will knack a pefectly good car!
it is highly anoying when people give out bum info! i would have got shot, if i hadnt bought the donor car.
best of luck pal

cheers for the heads up mate. i will take it into account.
if any one was to rip me off though i would go to their house, wake them in the middle of the night and scoop their eyes out and replace them with pickled eggs.
Thanks given by:
(01-01-2013, 07:56 PM)kingy Wrote:
(01-01-2013, 07:51 PM)procta Wrote: kingy, remember to hear that replacement engine your putting in 1st ( best buy a donor car) , also read up throwly on everything before you do anything. even see a car that has had that convertion done. Ask the owner questions too. look at build threads.
best of luck pal

cheers for the heads up mate. i will take it into account.
if any one was to rip me off though i would go to their house, wake them in the middle of the night and scoop their eyes out and replace them with pickled eggs.

no bother kingy, i dont want to see anyone go thru what i did with the rover metro,
laugh is this convertsion has been done in metros for over 10 years! the info is still shoddy! "cut this", "weld that", "oh you need to buy this" etc.
you want to fit things OEM,
Thanks given by:
yeah, was kind of hoping is was plug and play lol.
Thanks given by:
I thought about putting a 106gti engine in my 1.4. Probably would have done it if the insruance for an engine swap wasnt crippling when i was 18!

I wouldnt bother going from a 1.6 to a 1.8. A lot of work for so little gain. the 106gti will be different and epic. Tuning parts are readily available! You could get a 6... but then youd have to join the ghey club Tongue
Thanks given by:
i saw at fcs a 306 with a 1.9gti from a 205 ever thought of that?
Vehicle repair and servicing in the midlands pm for details 

Current cars
Subaru Impreza 2.0d - Daily
306 1.8 - track whore soon to be GTI6
Thanks given by:
(01-01-2013, 09:01 PM)td_dan Wrote: i saw at fcs a 306 with a 1.9gti from a 205 ever thought of that?

no i aint but again mate, its derv and that means more money and more work.
Thanks given by:
no mate its a 1.9gti petrol engine xu9ja i think which more than likely the mounts will fit and the xud or xu10 (gti shafts) SHOULD fit the box might just need a custom bit of exhaust, not to sure about wiring ill have a quick search

Current cars
Thanks given by:
get a her running and faults ironed out 1st, before your start upping specs,
Thanks given by:
http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&tbo=d&rlz...24&bih=372

Current cars
Thanks given by:
1.9 205 would be awesome!
Thanks given by:
1.9 205 engines are wank in comparison to what you can have these days - imagine an XUD, that's petrol, with barely more power than a stage 1 XUD - That's a 1.9GTI engine... A TU5J4 is an awesome conversion really...

Only issue is weight - they're actually bloody heavy engines - they're cast block integral liner unlike the 8v TUs which are wet liner, the STOCK MA boxes are wank beyond belief - the engine itself is AWESOME though... JP4 head, J4 cams on a J4 bottom end... Best combo going, use a single plug 106GTi engine loom, but will still need a good bit of modifying...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
16 16 turbo is what i want to put im my 205 dimma turbo
Thanks given by:
Would you not be able to straight plug and play a 106 gti engine bay loom.

Kingy. Not sure if you know this so i will point it out just incase. When you talk about swapping looms you no its just the engine bay loom and not the whole car loom. Easy job in reality.

Im swapping my DT lumps and leaving the looms attached so its basicly a case of undoing two plugs and plugging them back in. So if a 106 loom is a direct fit thats all that would be involved.

1.6 16V FTW

(01-01-2013, 05:55 PM)karl1989 Wrote: ask diggers he converted the 106 to derv. also THE-liam has a ph1 being stripped sure he would sort a deal out with you Smile

is this yours on swapz?

[Image: 50e1ceaf08b41_1.jpg?rand=60601137]

Thats foxy-jims 1.4 that had the orange banded steels on enit?

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
kinda thought it wouldnt be the whole loom but wasnt sure what had to be done. im going to look into it and see what needs to be done and it what order and then take it from their.
thanks everyone for the input and veiws.
as said, when i do go ahead with this im deffo doing the 16v.
and i didnt realize that was foxy jims car.... thats where i got my wheels from.
where is he anyways.
Thanks given by:
Just had a look at some 106 gti bay looms on ebay and the main multi plugs look pretty dam simular if not the same

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So hard to choose! David 17 2,594 08-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Last Post: Toms306