Starting problem

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starting problem
Hi I've got a starting problem when my cars running it starts and stops fine But when it's been stood a few hours and had chance to cool it won't start at all it takes a gd half hour of turning over with a jump starter to start it or some easy start in the dump valve to get it goin it's like not enough fuel getting in or something but when it's cold u can see a lot of air bubbles goin into the pump when running and as a farmer I know air in a diesel won't start but I've followed the fuel system all the way bck to take and into injectors and all is tight anyone got any ideas thanks
Thanks given by:
You sure your primer grenade isn't leaking? Quite a common place to leak especially if air is entering the pump. Do you have clear fuel lines? Always a good place to start in finding leaks.

What's probably happening is when it's running, the draw from the pump overcomes any leaky spots in the lines. When it's sat, fuel leaks out and causes an air lock around the leak, and when you try and turn it over again the pump sucks more air in.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
sometimes the air can be drawing in without fuel leaking.

I would start with investigating around the fuel filter housing and your leak off pipes...

trying pumping the grenade before starting next time
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
If its not a fuel leak or air getting in, I would investigate the stop solenoid on the pump as these play up and cause starting issues. get a multimeter on the solenoid with the ignition on and see what voltage (if any) is going to it,
also heater plug relays can play up, all worth checking
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Glow plugs!...

Where I'd put my money!
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
It won't be glow plugs if he's using easy start, it would fire up first try with that. Definitely sounds like air in the system and lack of fuel. I wouldn't keep cranking it until it goes though, you'll do your battery and starter no good.
Current Car: Lexus CT200h 1.8 138, 2013, 19,500 miles
Previous Car: VW Passat 2.0 TDi 140, 2005, 136,000 miles
Previous Car: Peugeot 306 XLdt (stock!), 150,000 miles (I miss this car Sad)
Thanks given by:
Cheers for the help ill check these things and c wat I find
Thanks given by:
Have you changed the fuel filter recently?
[Image: edit2_zpsbe60b3ca.jpg]

Team derv FLAME and CONROD spitters
Thanks given by:
No I've not touched the fuel filter at all but where would be the best places to check or change for a leak because nothing obviously showing a leak or any damage
Thanks given by:
Check the fuel filter housing seal and the fuel grenade. Those are the most common. Anyone else got any ideas?

Thanks given by:
Cheers mate ill check them out
Thanks given by:
Replace fuel line from tank to filter housing,change fuel filter and fuel line from filter to pump,use good quality hose clips and this should sort it,oh and as said check fuel primer.
Thanks given by:
Any up date?

Thanks given by:
Well I've changed the primer and pipe from there to filter and filter to pump and got some braded fuel pipe on order to do from tank primer and go from there but these little things so fare have made it better and checked the main fuel line and has been repaired at bck of engine so might be the problem
Thanks given by:
The new fuel line sorted the problem little scruff half way down so that was the problem I quess but all sorted thanks for help
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Starting problem.... Uberderv 4 1,467 09-06-2014, 08:10 PM
Last Post: toseland
  Odd starting problem. Danterzza 7 1,659 26-03-2014, 09:19 AM
Last Post: nominous
  XUD Starting Problem (Peugeot 306 1.9 DT) Gaz85 13 4,371 05-01-2014, 12:33 AM
Last Post: Gaz85