Odd starting problem.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Odd starting problem.
My 95 xud sometimes when you turn the key it just clicks, all lights on etc just hear a click and nothing else turn the key say three or four more times and it always fires up, lately its been getting worse say five or six times before its starts, sometimes it fires up first crack.

Is this the starter failing? Bad earth?
Thanks given by:
do the lights dim when you turn the key, this would point towards an earth but it sounds more like the starter going
Thanks given by:
No the lights dont dim, are them rtx starters from car parts for less any good, there about 40-50 quid new delivered.
Thanks given by:
starter Smile
[Image: Untitled-1_zpsc57da38e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Doesnt sound good, twat it with a hammer and see if it improves.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Yep try giving it a friendly hit, if its fine then take it off and give it a clean did this on my redtop and was good as new.

It could also be a bad earth so give the terminals a rub with sand paper
Thanks given by:
i had the same sort of problem sometimes the glowplug light wouldn't come on but once started it was fine after that. but i ended up changing the glowplug relay because we thought it was that then the battery which in fareness it did need anyway but in the end it turned out to be a knackered solenoid on the starter so changed the starter and she fire's first time everytime now.

so i would say try starter. as for the rtx starter's that's what i have on mine now and seems to be pretty good so far mate.
Thanks given by:
Generally, have had that problem with the starter, but also with the earth strap. Dunno where it is on the 306, but if it's facing the ground and a bare braided strap, chances are it's worth a replacement.
I upgraded the grounds and the starter wire on my old Astra derv. It went from chug chug chug start, to sounding like turning over a jet engine. Just from some basic wiring upgrades.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Starting problem.... Uberderv 4 1,437 09-06-2014, 08:10 PM
Last Post: toseland
  XUD Starting Problem (Peugeot 306 1.9 DT) Gaz85 13 4,346 05-01-2014, 12:33 AM
Last Post: Gaz85
  Weird starting problem :s Ben 9 2,185 28-10-2013, 07:32 PM
Last Post: mattgreene