Idle problems after gov mod.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Idle problems after gov mod.
Hi guys,

Having serious problems with my car.

Idling at 600 rpm, it doesnt stay on unless i give it a throttle.

Also, it revs but when i rev it the revs run high. If i release revs, it keeps revving higher until i cut out engine.

Any ideas? If i use trottle arm, it takes a while to build up rev, then just goes crazy high.

Thanks
Thanks given by:
Sticky throttle cable? Did you put the spring back on the throttle arm correctly?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Spring is on dude, car idles at 600rpm.

It doesnt build up revs by hand motion.

Once the rpm kicks in, it goes straight to max rev and i have to cut the car out Sad
Thanks given by:
I hate to say this and don't mean to cause offence, but this is unfortunately why 'diy-ing' a job isn't always a good idea, because now you are left with a 'broken' pump and you can't understand fully how the pump works in order to rectify it. It will only be something to do with the governor, 100%, but working out quite which bit has gone wrong without looking at it is hard.

Do you have any photos of the finished shimmed governor or how it went back into the leverset (black bit sticking out of the bottom of the pump)?

Essentially, the top needs to come off again, its just up to you if you feel confident enough to do it yourself or
if you get somebody else to do it, your quite far away from me iirc.

Hope you get it sorted man.
Thanks given by:
The govener is in its cradle exactly like my other thread.

The thread about my big washer, which i changed on your advice.

I took the little spring from inside out. (inside pump for cold/hot idle) Well i lost it and found it later. Could that be the problem? Ive heard some people leave it out.

Only other thing is that the govener has fallen out of its cradle from one end.(inside the pump.

The govener itself, all the stuff is on one side, and the bit where the black curvy washer is, is on the other. So it drops into its place from the little bit its suppose to go in from.

Its strange really, car is either on 600rpm. And if not 600, its 7000000rpm.

So i dont think it has anything to do with the throttle arm^_^
Thanks given by:
Here is a pic of the top end. Just took it apart, tge gov wasnt outside its cradle, which now worries me even more, no more ideas on the problem.

http://pbckt.com/pH.uB8nIr
(sorry for link)

My only other doubt is the little idle spring, otherwise ill de-gov mod and put back in. Then try gov mod again 0.0.

any idea on how to work out standard idle/fuel screw positions?

And here is a video of the bottom end.

http://pbckt.com/pH.uB8bs2
(sorry again for link, may not work on phones!)

My only doubt is that little spring, which is baaaad, cause i know some who leave it out!
Thanks given by:
Ok, so ive put it back together again.
Started it up, it idles at 900-1100, but it then automatically climbs up in revs.

Scarything is car uses glowplugs for live feed, so i cant cut it out, the engine just keeps running for 20 secs and cuts out it self :/
Thanks given by:
Try turning the max fuel screw out 1 turn (anti-clockwise)

As for running off the glowplugs, have you just set it up like that recently?! Glowplugs only get voltage for the first ~20 seconds of the engine running, so that is probably why its cutting out, get a normal ignition live to the pump and go from there.
Thanks given by:
The ignition live wont let it start up on its own :/ it does run after 20 secs, problem is i cant cut it out within 20 secs of it running.

Could you show me a picture of the top of a ground ida/gov modded pump please? Im kinda convinced my throttle arm is on the wrong spline. which is giving it the fuel without me revving it? Does that make sense?

Or its the max fuel screw, dont even know what that looks like standard Sad.
Could it be possible for the engine to
Idle high just because of the fuel screw? Reading your bosch pump guide, it suggest that could be my problem.

Also, thank you v much for your constant replies. It helps, psychologically :p
Thanks given by:
Okay, still not sure thats the best way to have an ignition live but never mind, I can see how it works now. If you want to stop the pump you can also do it by using the stop lever, its like an upside T shhaped lever on the front of the pump, push the top of it to the left/driverside to cut the fuel and stop the engine.

Throttle arm should be easy enough to get back on the right spline, assuming you marked the throttle arm before you took it off? If you didnt then its deffiantely worth fiddling with that and setting it back to where it should be.

An no worries, dont mind helping out where I can.
Thanks given by:
Dan, I want to kiss you.
Thanks given by:
Up and running, it was the max fuel screw, unwinded it a little and yay Big Grin.

Just filled up tank, 5l petrol, 55 litre veg. Got a slightly bouncy idle, between 875 and 975 rpm which is normal cause of veg i think! + car needs service which ill do later!

Happy end to my morning!
Thanks given by:
glad you sorted it rept did you manage to put the cold start spring back on ok? got to do my pump leak soon. also as your running veg oil might be worth you removing the the intake fuel sender strainer gauze and cleaning it out as some times i find them blocked up with crap that restricts the flow of fuel to the pump. i have never done a gov mod myself if i had i would of popped over to give you hand have done most other things but never stripped/modded a pump.
Thanks given by:
(23-12-2012, 01:23 PM)vincent1 Wrote: glad you sorted it rept did you manage to put the cold start spring back on ok? got to do my pump leak soon. also as your running veg oil might be worth you removing the the intake fuel sender strainer gauze and cleaning it out as some times i find them blocked up with crap that restricts the flow of fuel to the pump. i have never done a gov mod myself if i had i would of popped over to give you hand have done most other things but never stripped/modded a pump.

Yep got spring back on. Intake fuel sender? Whats that lol, got a pic for me?

Well, when you do your gov mod, ill pop over if your close :p
Thanks given by:
that idle is too low for veg mate . . .up it a bit, 1200 on cold start Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Good to hear, well done. I'll pass on the offer of a kiss though, thanks.
Thanks given by:
soz meant the fuel tank sender unit if you lift the back seat up under the carpet there's 2 round rubber bungs under one of them there's the fuel tank sender unit/pick up what holds it all in is a black sealing ring just remove the 2 pipes (mark them as ones flow ones return) unscrew the black sealing ring lift the whole lot up and out on the bottom of the pick up there's a gauze type filter just make sure its clean of any crap/rubbish then refit
Thanks given by:
idle is low indeed, on a cold start the revs just bounce all over the place lol..

thanks dan, you really helped out Tongue

ill take a look at that fuel sender once I get my tune. hopefully comig thursday ill be running 130odd bhp. woohoo.
Thanks given by:
(23-12-2012, 01:58 PM)RePT Wrote: idle is low indeed, on a cold start the revs just bounce all over the place lol..

thanks dan, you really helped out Tongue

ill take a look at that fuel sender once I get my tune. hopefully comig thursday ill be running 130odd bhp. woohoo.

well sort it out then lol . . . hot and cold idle screws and cold start cable on the back of the pump . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
yeah veg is good on 1200rpm cold idle and about 800-850 hot idle
Thanks given by:
I dont know if my hot/cold idle even works cause the cable that runs through is just lose lol. But ill try and sort it tomorrow :p
Thanks given by:
Mine never worked and never had problems. I never ran veg though.
Current Car: Lexus CT200h 1.8 138, 2013, 19,500 miles
Previous Car: VW Passat 2.0 TDi 140, 2005, 136,000 miles
Previous Car: Peugeot 306 XLdt (stock!), 150,000 miles (I miss this car Sad)
Thanks given by:
(23-12-2012, 06:31 PM)RePT Wrote: I dont know if my hot/cold idle even works cause the cable that runs through is just lose lol. But ill try and sort it tomorrow :p

That's fine, it just means it only has one idle so set it at something you can live with. Mine was running on veg for months and I had a permanent 1100rpm idle, it's just a bit annoying that's all.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Running 1100rpm idle now, do you guys get a slight "bounce" in the idle?

You can just about hear it in this video
Thanks given by:
Sometimes they do hunt on veg a little, it probably wont do it once its warm
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bosch Idle Problems with smoke Ben Jay 46 7,593 30-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Last Post: Ben Jay