• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bosch Idle Problems with smoke
Quote:(15:06:27) Toms306: Wd40d it and had a good tug, came straight off

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5522]

Thanks given by:
leaky injector? or injector problems
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
hmmm how can i check? if i stuck a lucus in to see will it work ok?

Thanks given by:
lucas injectors on a bosch suck ass so i hear.

the reason why i say this is because mine a few weeks ago was in the same state, but now is a lot worse haha its misfiring a lot and can stall sometimes lol, i also get the smoke
Thanks given by:
so new injectors on the cards?

Thanks given by:
well id wait for someone else to cast thier more expert eyes over it but like i say mines the same and i KNOW 1 and 4 cyl injectors are leaky/ faulty
Thanks given by:
any of the other derv heads know?

Thanks given by:
That's just like mine fella, mines letting in air/leaking fuel, does yours need to be primed at all to get it to start without cranking for ages?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
no havnt had the need to prime it yet. it is a bit of a pig to start though

Thanks given by:
Someone mentioned valve clearances the other day, going to check mine when i get some spare time. Not hopeful, but it's a free fix if it's true so rather eliminate it first.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Ben Jay Wrote:no havnt had the need to prime it yet. it is a bit of a pig to start though

If you prime it before you try to start it you will find it won't be as much of a pig to start, just pop the bonnet and squeeze the grenade thing until it goes hard and then try to start the car Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
could this be a pump problem? meaning the pump has had it?

Thanks given by:
Ben Jay Wrote:could this be a pump problem? meaning the pump has had it?

No, its a fuel system problem meaning there is a leak somewhere (favourite is the filter housing) meaning that when left standing all the fuel drains back to the tank, try priming it before starting the car and see if it makes it any easier to start..........
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
it starts but had a play this weekend and couldnt fix the smoke.

Thanks given by:
Ben Jay Wrote:it starts but had a play this weekend and couldnt fix the smoke.

So does priming it make it easier to start, does it start easily if it has been running and then switched off if you were to then try starting it again immediately after?
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
i didnt notice a difference in the start between priming it or not.

also it does start better once its started if that makes sence lol

Thanks given by:
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Ben Jay Wrote:it does start better once its started

:violence-axechase: :violence-axechase: :violence-axechase: :violence-axechase: :violence-axechase:
Captain Standard

Thanks given by:
you know what i mean! the inital start up it hard but if i turn it off and then back on its a bit easier!

Thanks given by:
Almost certainly a fuel leak then lol
Thanks given by:
my thinking too... but i cant see it any where =(

Thanks given by:
Squeeze the hand primer until it goes hard (with the engine off) and then keep trying to squeeze it and you should be able to see/hear where its leaking from. You literally only have to look from the pipe going out of the hand primer to the fuel filter housing, then the housing itself, then the pipe from the housing to the pump, and then the pump itself. If you really cannot see any leaks anywhere it would suggest your hand primer is knackered and the one way valve is letting fuel drain back to the tank. Although id say this is unlikely if it was running fine on the lucas.
Thanks given by:
^^ unless its leaking before the primer Dan and then this won't help at all, but as you say the 1 way valve in the primer could also be feckered Sad

Dan! Wrote:Almost certainly a fuel leak then lol

It can't be a fuel leak though, priming it before starting it makes no difference.............. :roll:
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:^^ unless its leaking before the primer Dan and then this won't help at all, but as you say the 1 way valve in the primer could also be feckered Sad

It can't be a fuel leak though, priming it before starting it makes no difference.............. :roll:

The way I understand it is that if its leaking before the hand primer it wont affect running because the pump/filter housing etc will all still be full of diesel with no air ingress? And I see what your saying, but if it starts better after its been started then turned back off then I would still say air ingress, because once you start it its filled the system with diesel again... :think:
Thanks given by:
so if its an air in the system problem why does it look like its over fueling?

Thanks given by:
If a Diesel is overfuelling it'll increase in revs...

Stop thinking in petrol land... A Diesel is controlled ONLY by fuel... Less fuel = less power.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
It cant OVER fuel at idle mate. if there was too much fuel going in at idel then the idle/engine speed would just rise. Over fuelling only happens when the engine is under load and more fuel is injected than the turbo can supple due to the engine speed.

If there is smoke at idle its because the fuel is being injected at the wrong time in the engine cycle (i.e too soon/too late.) therefore not burning efficiently.

Is the pump diffinately in the bosch mounting studs on the bracket and not the lucas ones?
Thanks given by:
^^ Otherwise known as timing being out lol deja vu, think we have been here before!

Dan! Wrote:The way I understand it is that if its leaking before the hand primer it wont affect running because the pump/filter housing etc will all still be full of diesel with no air ingress? And I see what your saying, but if it starts better after its been started then turned back off then I would still say air ingress, because once you start it its filled the system with diesel again... :think:

Hmmmmmmmm.....the way I understood it is that if it was leaking anywhere in the supply pipework it would drag in air when under load as its easier than sucking the fuel from the tank......

And that was sarcasm Dan, thats why I asked the question about what it was like to start after its been running, it points more to the inability to use the hand primer if it "makes no difference" IMO as that should push out all the air in the system making it easier to start Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Dan! Wrote:Is the pump diffinately in the bosch mounting studs on the bracket and not the lucas ones?

the pump arrived on a cradle that i just assmued was the correct one. has any one got both cradles to hand and take a picture of the differences?

Thanks given by:
It could drag air in under load, but remember Bosch ves draw about 6x the fuel they need.... That's for the advance system, so it can always compensate, it'll just drain the pump housing but you wouldn't know as there's still fuel in the housing for it to inject...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  more bosch problems blinkyeatu 9 1,426 24-08-2015, 07:57 PM
Last Post: blinkyeatu
  Bosch pump conversion problems Farmer-Glen 16 3,529 16-09-2014, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Farmer-Glen
  Bosch conversion problems mikes 16 2,471 13-08-2014, 07:35 AM
Last Post: mikes