gearbox mounted turbo

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gearbox mounted turbo
yeah but I am building a 2.1....the T2 barely fits behind there...let alone a td04.

I can weld...but I am no exhaust fabricator....anyway....where would you get the pipe parts???

ps does anyone have the dimensions or know where I would get them...for the engine bay...I may do a mock setup with cardboard to check clearances etc
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
You can do it cheaply with normal exhaust pipe, it comes in loads of different sizes, easyish to weld/bend and wont get deformed from heat. doing it that way you can always get a design that works, get all the angles right etc then take it to a fabricators and get it made professionally in stainless or something
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
super £s though...will look into it....got no deadline so I am trying to everything just so...for my OCD too so would be shame to lose out on a pikey manifold...

guna be some serious brain melting calculus I expect though trying to get all the primary lengths equal...need to jig up a false engine bay to see what space I also have to play with for the mani
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
wouldn't it be easier to get a scrap 306 shell and just cut the front off at the bulkhead?, far less hassle than making an accurate representation
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
I can't see how a 2.1 is that much worse than an XUD9... You've just got to go downwards...

Take hints off the VW TDi guys, look at the Darkside Developments manifolds, you can end up with the turbo closer to the engine than OEM in a LOT of installations...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
it is.
the 2.1 manifold exit face is up not down.
bulkheads have to be 'adjusted' to get standard 2.1 turbos to fit....then theres trying to get pipework in there.

and you cant flip those mani's
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(25-12-2012, 10:41 AM)Piggy1987 Wrote: bet would cost stupid money to get custom mani made with equal primarys tho!!!
Hmmm, 4-1 manifold with equal length primarys that fits in a 306 exhaust tunnel, now where have I seen one of those before, oh yeah, on a GTi6!!!!!!!!!!!

Just weld a new flange on either end as the port spacing is about the same.

(25-12-2012, 02:29 PM)Ruan Wrote: I can't see how a 2.1 is that much worse than an XUD9... You've just got to go downwards...
You cant, thats the problem, its really easy to flip the 2.1 manifold so it points down (just elongate some holes and make a spacer so it clears the inlet) but if you try and move the turbo any closer to the block or bodge a hybrid manifold up then you end up hitting the water manifold and that would be a serious bit of machining/fab/welding to move.
Thanks given by:
^^^thats interesting...but surely its heading the wrong way...I need me mani to head sideways toward gearbox...not down the tunnel!?!?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Bit of an old thread and mayby a stupid question but when fitting the turbo over the gearbox do you have to have some sort of bracket securing the turbo/exhaust pipes where they/it is, just wondering cause thought there would be problems with vibration ect
Thanks given by:
(08-02-2014, 01:10 AM)Chris306 Wrote: Bit of an old thread and mayby a stupid question but when fitting the turbo over the gearbox do you have to have some sort of bracket securing the turbo/exhaust pipes where they/it is, just wondering cause thought there would be problems with vibration ect

Yeah you need some sort of bracing
Thanks given by:
You need support the turbo yes.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Yeah I have used two brackets, one on the exhaust and one on the turbo
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Nice one lads Smile thinking of vnt for next pug so want it easy to get to Smile
Thanks given by:
This thread needs more pics Smile
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gear box mounted turbo Cbray2003 20 3,583 11-01-2013, 04:07 PM
Last Post: Matty