gearbox mounted turbo

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gearbox mounted turbo
anyone got some good pictures of gearbox mounted turbos??

curious about positioning and plumbing....

thanks, Piggy Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Not exactley an xud, but close I suppose. Smile

[Image: 15058525.jpg]
[Image: 704e7db1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
nah thats great....curious though that theres no exhaust outlet pipework...was that tough to get round under the tunnel??
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
[Image: 844ca5c4.jpg]

It's 3" and tight, I might have to change it with the new gearbox I have and the cable linkages.
[Image: 704e7db1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Thats a real tidy looking job!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Serious its not rocket science especially for a pug tech like yourself mtfu and just do it!!!!

Thanks given by:
aye but always happy to take advice or see someone who has done it/knows better!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
this is my setup
[Image: IMG_09311_zps981aba4d.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0514_zps7a256f10.jpg]

I had to rotate the turbo 90* so the outlet was on the right side, and as a consequence the exhaust out needed a right angle bend to get it all to fit. used the biggest possible pipe that would fit to try compensating for the sharp bend in the pipe, seems to working fine
[Image: IMAG0461.jpg]
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
thanks chap...answers my Q about what to do if you rotate it...you make a bracket for the boost control

thanks for the info

PS very clean engine bay by the way...is that a catch tank...centre front..?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(23-12-2012, 09:28 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: thanks chap...answers my Q about what to do if you rotate it...you make a bracket for the boost control

thanks for the info

yeah its a catch tank, had issues with oil going everywhere been spat out through the breather, catch tank solved it Smile
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(23-12-2012, 09:36 PM)ozonehostile Wrote:
(23-12-2012, 09:28 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: thanks chap...answers my Q about what to do if you rotate it...you make a bracket for the boost control

thanks for the info

yeah its a catch tank, had issues with oil going everywhere been spat out through the breather, catch tank solved it Smile

I was gonna get a catch tank, but meh. I have my oil breather pipe off my intake just facing down towards the floor, like a boss.
PH1 306 XUD - 11mm VE, Big 'bine, TMIC = Plenty of coal, abuse, heatsoak and a power band of 4.3k - 6k = One shagged car.
[Image: sig2.png]
Thanks given by:
Would using the old manifold work If you made up a plate and pipe to bolt onto it instead of the turbo? Then route it up on top of the box?
Thanks given by:
(24-12-2012, 12:54 AM)Ollie Wrote: Would using the old manifold work If you made up a plate and pipe to bolt onto it instead of the turbo? Then route it up on top of the box?

dont quite understand what you mean mate
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
me neither....

that oil catch tank.. did you make it yourself out of a filter housing?! looks real smart but not mad shiny like all others
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(24-12-2012, 12:54 AM)Ollie Wrote: Would using the old manifold work If you made up a plate and pipe to bolt onto it instead of the turbo? Then route it up on top of the box?

He means making a flange to bolt to original manifold with a Pipe going from that to the new turbo position, im sure i have seen this done, unless you have to funds to get a full manifold made like darren has done many times lol

It would be a lot cheaper this way but unsure how efficient it would be, im sure someone will be along to correct me or explain more
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(24-12-2012, 09:15 AM)CJ_Derv Wrote:

He means making a flange to bolt to original manifold with a Pipe going from that to the new turbo position, im sure i have seen this done, unless you have to funds to get a full manifold made like darren has done many times lol

It would be a lot cheaper this way but unsure how efficient it would be, im sure someone will be along to correct me or explain more

ah i get it, in theory it could work yeah but like you said, the design wouldnt be very efficient and would require alot of precision work with either a welder or gaskets to make sure theres no leaks. it would probly be easier just to modify the original mani into a 4-2-1 than try and make a decemt plate and pipe.

pleas excuse the brilliance of my ms paint skills, but this is what ive done

[Image: mani_zpscc9796ae.jpg]

(24-12-2012, 08:53 AM)Piggy1987 Wrote: me neither....

that oil catch tank.. did you make it yourself out of a filter housing?! looks real smart but not mad shiny like all others

Its a bosch catch tank, another borrowed truck part haha
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Wouldnt necessarily difficult as long as its a flat face (ie like adaptor plates) not hard at all just couple of bends and a welder then, simples, Im very sure this was done by a mate i know chris on his hdi running a gearbox mounted turbo,

i think the only downside would be unequal length but looking at it they all join at same point so in theory they are the same length jsut brought together earlier
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(24-12-2012, 09:15 AM)CJ_Derv Wrote:

Yep this what i mean, thanks lol. Posted that half cut on my phone last night.

Im not sure how efficient it would be but im sure it would be a lot less hassle than building a full manifold.
Thanks given by:
(24-12-2012, 10:52 AM)CJ_Derv Wrote: Wouldnt necessarily difficult as long as its a flat face (ie like adaptor plates) not hard at all just couple of bends and a welder then, simples, Im very sure this was done by a mate i know chris on his hdi running a gearbox mounted turbo,

i think the only downside would be unequal length but looking at it they all join at same point so in theory they are the same length jsut brought together earlier

Certainly worth a try though, and IMO if the lengths aren't a consideration when fitting a turbo down the back of the block, then just "extending" the mani with a single pipe isn't going to make much difference I'd have thought.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
As with anything turbo related, more pipes = more lag yes. But as long as it's not a twin scroll, bodging a pipe on the end of a standard mani would be my choice to relocate it. There's so many rudimentary turbo conversions that are a bit of a bodge, this would make f*ck all difference in the grand scheme of things.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(24-12-2012, 01:38 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: As with anything turbo related, more pipes = more lag yes. But as long as it's not a twin scroll, bodging a pipe on the end of a standard mani would be my choice to relocate it. There's so many rudimentary turbo conversions that are a bit of a bodge, this would make f*ck all difference in the grand scheme of things.

Exactly what I would do, would make it so much easier and you'd notice no difference.
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
this ^^^^

I will be getting 3 flanges made...one for original mani...one for turbo in and one out...

then tack up pipework with all in place then get decent local welder to finish.

simples...I assumed this what most do anyhow...esp as 4-1 with it going to box would mean diff length pipes
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
To be fair, You would be suprised how much extra lag the relocation will make, I certainly notice a huge difference in lag, that said, with a well made manifold, the flow is equally as noticably better / engine so much more rev happy, and also with equal length primarys, the noise changes to a lovely tone Smile
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
bet would cost stupid money to get custom mani made with equal primarys tho!!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Or just make it yourself, only costs you welding supplies then. And what darren said, the sound an xud can make with a decent mani and a straight through exhaust is very pleasing to the ear, almost sounds like a scooby impreza just without the offbeat lope of the boxer engine Smile
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(25-12-2012, 11:24 AM)ozonehostile Wrote: Or just make it yourself, only costs you welding supplies then. And what darren said, the sound an xud can make with a decent mani and a straight through exhaust is very pleasing to the ear, almost sounds like a scooby impreza just without the offbeat lope of the boxer engine Smile

I see a pattern here. Xud's, td04's, "sounds like a scooby impreza"....we're slowing turning them int.....
o_O

I'm curious as to why people are relocating them? Is it just so it's easier to change turbos? To hard to fit turbos down there? Or am I missing something? Smile

Happy Christmas x
PH1 306 XUD - 11mm VE, Big 'bine, TMIC = Plenty of coal, abuse, heatsoak and a power band of 4.3k - 6k = One shagged car.
[Image: sig2.png]
Thanks given by:
Plenty of room down back, I have a dimensionally huge turbo and fits no issues.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
By relocating the turbo you can fit massive ones that would no way fit behind the block, plus access is no problem when its over the gearbox. In my opinion it looks a hell of alot better too having the turbo on display next to the engine. You can drasticly improve the flow rate efficiency with a relocated turbo as it allows for bigger downpipes and if properly built, better flowing exhaust manifolds.
intercooler pipe rooting also better as you dont need to get to get any pipes behind the engine
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
There's a lot of room between the driveshafts and bulkhead! The engine sits at 60 degrees so the lower it sits the more space ypu have.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(25-12-2012, 12:04 PM)Dave Wrote: There's a lot of room between the driveshafts and bulkhead! The engine sits at 60 degrees so the lower it sits the more space ypu have.

What turbo you running behind the block?
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gear box mounted turbo Cbray2003 20 3,546 11-01-2013, 04:07 PM
Last Post: Matty