bit of advice?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bit of advice?
Quick few questions for fellow oil burners

Finally got my stage one tune done after some much needed advice from you guys.

I've seen on a few websites that ppl have de filtered their cars, is this safe to do?

and what's the benefit to unplugging the egr valve

Thanks in advance
Thanks given by:
Unplugging the EGR valve isnt really worth doing unless you are going to take off the inlet manifold and clean it out properly too.

De-filtering a car isnt great to be honest. It most likely wont do any damage over the short term (~5k) but over long periods it will wear the engine out more and fill the compressor housing with shit. The only reasons most people do it are for 1. Noise, and 2 because fitting an intake system/filter onto a bigger turbo is a bit of a ballache and most people cant be arsed. Personally keep it filtered, but replace the standard air intake piping and box with a bit of flexi pipe off the turbo and a cone filter.
Thanks given by:
egr unplug is a good thing. make sure engine is stone cold when you do it or it will be open a bit giving you leak. is green plug behind battery housing just unplug and there you go. but be prepared for loads of smoke until inlet cleans itself lol

De-filtered only good if you want to increase the likely hood of something getting sucked in and destroying your turbo. yes alot of people do it but i wouldn't and that is my opinion. Filter's are used for a very good reason and don't disturb air flow if they clean
Don't worry about what I'm doing, I want you to worry about what you're doing
Thanks given by:
Cheers for the advice mate,

Any suggestions on the cone filter to use?
Thanks given by:
They are all much of a muchness tbh mate. I doubt you would notice any difference between a £10 ebay cone filter, a £40 KnN/Pipercross cone filter or a £170 Closed air induction filter system, they all do the same thing in reality. A good cold air feed to the filter to reduce heatsoak is more important Smile
Thanks given by:
Me personally have stuck with the stock set up there is a mighty car mods youtube that shows why but others may disagree

Thanks given by:
Biggest problem with the standard system is the restrictions in the intake piping.
Thanks given by:
I've seen the mighty mods video mate, to my understanding they basically sais that there were no power gains, in some cases a loss, all it can go is increase flow?
Thanks given by:
none what so ever and brings me to my next one

Me personally never noticed much of a difference from Pat i changed to a cone and did a extra cold air intake so with Project T i've stayed stock and Project T goes way better

But everyone experience is different so what i felt never worked may work well for others
Thanks given by:
Bear in mind they didnt test it on a turbo charged diesel Smile Granted it wont get you any gains but i bet it wont make it worse.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
The thing is i'm off the thinking peugeot put a lot of R&D into the intake system so it's designed that way for a reason.

Yes it has restrictions but if a cone would be better on the end of it wouldn't they have done that in the first place?
Thanks given by: