Brake pedal goes to the floor?!?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brake pedal goes to the floor?!?
Hi guys i recently changed the front discs and pads on my xud and now the pedal goes to floor. If you pump the pedal it gains pressure and they feel ok but then instantly the pedal goes to floor. I have bled the system to remove any possible air in the system, and they are still the same, i have checked the resevoir level when pumping the pedal to see if it goes down in case of a leak but it doesnt. Does anyone have any ideas as its pissing me off now lol. Thanks in advance Smile
Thanks given by:
you bled the brakes in the correct order? . Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Did you bleed the system properly starting by the furthest from the reservoir first? Or could of caught the brake line and punctured a brake hose when doing the pads.
Bye Bye D-Turbo
Phase 1 GTi-6 now has a new owner
Rolling in the: Phase 3 HDI Wagon

The current estate project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-22237.html
Thanks given by:
(03-12-2012, 11:20 AM)jbppug Wrote: Hi guys i recently changed the front discs and pads on my xud and now the pedal goes to floor. If you pump the pedal it gains pressure and they feel ok but then instantly the pedal goes to floor. I have bled the system to remove any possible air in the system, and they are still the same, i have checked the resevoir level when pumping the pedal to see if it goes down in case of a leak but it doesnt. Does anyone have any ideas as its pissing me off now lol. Thanks in advance Smile

yeh did it in the correct order Confused
Thanks given by:
Including bleeding the rears yeah? sounds just like a bubble of air
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(03-12-2012, 12:18 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: Including bleeding the rears yeah? sounds just like a bubble of air

did them all apart from the rear left as the nipple wouldnt undo without completeley destroying it...
Thanks given by:
ah...that could be the issue...
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
That shouldn't rear cause no brakes at all, we took the cylinder off the left drum then refitted it awhile later and even without bleeding the pedal still had feel
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:
kyles got a point !! not bleeding rears IMO would make the peddle spongy but not go to floor
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
can you describe the going to the floor...are we talking bang on the floor or steady down all the way?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Vacuum pump?Bit that doesn't explain why it happened after you changed the pads, otherwise I would agree with the others and say air in the system. Did you mix 2 different fluids maybe?
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
shouldnt get air in the system when changing pads anyway...its a weird one...

Maybe a stupid question...but you have gone out and bedded them in????
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
master cylinder seals gone what colour does the brake fluid look if it looks blackish thats usually a sign there gone
Thanks given by:
(03-12-2012, 01:25 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: can you describe the going to the floor...are we talking bang on the floor or steady down all the way?!

goes to the floor slowly, after being pumped.

(03-12-2012, 01:50 PM)londondan86 Wrote: Vacuum pump?Bit that doesn't explain why it happened after you changed the pads, otherwise I would agree with the others and say air in the system. Did you mix 2 different fluids maybe?

exactly, the brakes were fine before apart from the discs being warped and needing changing obv. i have bought another bottle of dot 4 standard brake fluid stuff to keep it topped up whilst bleeding them.
Thanks given by:
have you bedded them in yet?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(03-12-2012, 02:26 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: have you bedded them in yet?

by that do you mean drive the car at a slow speed and keep using them? if so yes

by that do you mean drive the car at a slow speed and keep using them? if so yes
Thanks given by:
the next thing i would try is a gunsons easy bleed kit the type that connects to your car tyre valve for air pressure they are a good bit of kit imo.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gunson-Eezible...faf&_uhb=1
Thanks given by:
Vac Pump would make peddle stiff iirc rather than go floor
Thanks given by:
nothing beats a proper forces bleed with the peddle. Odd this.

I would wana bleed that back brake just to eliminate it tbo
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(03-12-2012, 02:46 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: nothing beats a proper forces bleed with the peddle. Odd this.

ok do you know any way of persuading the nipple to come undone?
Thanks given by:
(03-12-2012, 02:52 PM)jbppug Wrote:
(03-12-2012, 02:46 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: nothing beats a proper forces bleed with the peddle. Odd this.

ok do you know any way of persuading the nipple to come undone?

Tap the end of the nipple with a hammer a couple of times, then very gently tighten it ever so slightly, then try and undo it.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Big f*ck of moles Smile then a new nipple is a matter of afew £ from pug, make sure its right tho I asked for a front once and it wasn't untill I got the old one out at home I found out they gave me a rear one
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:
also try using a tight fitting socket (may need to tap it on if you have rounded it a bit) on the bleed nipple usually works ok for me
Thanks given by:
The best way to bleed the brakes is to let gravity do the work by simply undoing one bleed valve at a time and waiting until the fluid drips. I tried one of those bleed kits (it was just a bit of pipe) and it didn't even work because it kept coming off. The gravity method is the only way to be sure.
Thanks given by:
(03-12-2012, 04:27 PM)306Puggy Wrote: The best way to bleed the brakes is to let gravity do the work by simply undoing one bleed valve at a time and waiting until the fluid drips. I tried one of those bleed kits (it was just a bit of pipe) and it didn't even work because it kept coming off. The gravity method is the only way to be sure.

Gravity?? Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Or might be your fuel filter id check that too (its proven!!) Tongue
Thanks given by:
Well, that is what worked for me, certainly worth a try rather than going out and buying an expensive ezibleed kitSmile
Thanks given by:
mines doing this but i know now that the rear cylinder is leaking. got brake fluid on my wheel Sad
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
had my brakes open all night to empty...needed them completely empty to out race fluid in (different car)....didnt get a drop!!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Does it still brake? Just a lot of travel?
Thanks given by:
(03-12-2012, 09:13 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: had my brakes open all night to empty...needed them completely empty to out race fluid in (different car)....didnt get a drop!!!

You need to do it one corner at a time bud. As soon as there is a steady drip then close the valve. Also leave the filler cap off whilst you do this to stop the vacuum preventing the fluid dripping out.
Thanks given by: