306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
Brake pedal goes to the floor?!? - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Engines (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: XUD Section (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Brake pedal goes to the floor?!? (/showthread.php?tid=8553)

Pages: 1 2

Brake pedal goes to the floor?!? - jbppug - 03-12-2012

Hi guys i recently changed the front discs and pads on my xud and now the pedal goes to floor. If you pump the pedal it gains pressure and they feel ok but then instantly the pedal goes to floor. I have bled the system to remove any possible air in the system, and they are still the same, i have checked the resevoir level when pumping the pedal to see if it goes down in case of a leak but it doesnt. Does anyone have any ideas as its pissing me off now lol. Thanks in advance Smile

RE: Brake pedal goes to the floor?!? - Mattcheese31 - 03-12-2012

you bled the brakes in the correct order? . Smile

RE: Brake pedal goes to the floor?!? - Jtrigga - 03-12-2012

Did you bleed the system properly starting by the furthest from the reservoir first? Or could of caught the brake line and punctured a brake hose when doing the pads.

RE: Brake pedal goes to the floor?!? - jbppug - 03-12-2012

(03-12-2012, 11:20 AM)jbppug Wrote: Hi guys i recently changed the front discs and pads on my xud and now the pedal goes to floor. If you pump the pedal it gains pressure and they feel ok but then instantly the pedal goes to floor. I have bled the system to remove any possible air in the system, and they are still the same, i have checked the resevoir level when pumping the pedal to see if it goes down in case of a leak but it doesnt. Does anyone have any ideas as its pissing me off now lol. Thanks in advance Smile

yeh did it in the correct order Confused

RE: Brake pedal goes to the floor?!? - Piggy - 03-12-2012

Including bleeding the rears yeah? sounds just like a bubble of air

(03-12-2012, 12:18 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: Including bleeding the rears yeah? sounds just like a bubble of air

did them all apart from the rear left as the nipple wouldnt undo without completeley destroying it...

ah...that could be the issue...

RE: Brake pedal goes to the floor?!? - HDIkyle - 03-12-2012

That shouldn't rear cause no brakes at all, we took the cylinder off the left drum then refitted it awhile later and even without bleeding the pedal still had feel

RE: Brake pedal goes to the floor?!? - CJ_Derv - 03-12-2012

kyles got a point !! not bleeding rears IMO would make the peddle spongy but not go to floor

can you describe the going to the floor...are we talking bang on the floor or steady down all the way?!

RE: Brake pedal goes to the floor?!? - londondan86 - 03-12-2012

Vacuum pump?Bit that doesn't explain why it happened after you changed the pads, otherwise I would agree with the others and say air in the system. Did you mix 2 different fluids maybe?

shouldnt get air in the system when changing pads anyway...its a weird one...

Maybe a stupid question...but you have gone out and bedded them in????

RE: Brake pedal goes to the floor?!? - vincent1 - 03-12-2012

master cylinder seals gone what colour does the brake fluid look if it looks blackish thats usually a sign there gone

(03-12-2012, 01:25 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: can you describe the going to the floor...are we talking bang on the floor or steady down all the way?!

goes to the floor slowly, after being pumped.

(03-12-2012, 01:50 PM)londondan86 Wrote: Vacuum pump?Bit that doesn't explain why it happened after you changed the pads, otherwise I would agree with the others and say air in the system. Did you mix 2 different fluids maybe?

exactly, the brakes were fine before apart from the discs being warped and needing changing obv. i have bought another bottle of dot 4 standard brake fluid stuff to keep it topped up whilst bleeding them.

have you bedded them in yet?

(03-12-2012, 02:26 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: have you bedded them in yet?

by that do you mean drive the car at a slow speed and keep using them? if so yes

by that do you mean drive the car at a slow speed and keep using them? if so yes

the next thing i would try is a gunsons easy bleed kit the type that connects to your car tyre valve for air pressure they are a good bit of kit imo.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gunson-Eezibleed-EasyBleed-Hydraulic-Bleeding-Kit-/170951438255?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27cd7fefaf&_uhb=1

Vac Pump would make peddle stiff iirc rather than go floor

nothing beats a proper forces bleed with the peddle. Odd this.

I would wana bleed that back brake just to eliminate it tbo

(03-12-2012, 02:46 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: nothing beats a proper forces bleed with the peddle. Odd this.

ok do you know any way of persuading the nipple to come undone?

RE: Brake pedal goes to the floor?!? - Ricky - 03-12-2012

(03-12-2012, 02:52 PM)jbppug Wrote:
(03-12-2012, 02:46 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: nothing beats a proper forces bleed with the peddle. Odd this.

ok do you know any way of persuading the nipple to come undone?

Tap the end of the nipple with a hammer a couple of times, then very gently tighten it ever so slightly, then try and undo it.

RE: Brake pedal goes to the floor?!? - HDIkyle - 03-12-2012

Big f*ck of moles Smile then a new nipple is a matter of afew £ from pug, make sure its right tho I asked for a front once and it wasn't untill I got the old one out at home I found out they gave me a rear one

also try using a tight fitting socket (may need to tap it on if you have rounded it a bit) on the bleed nipple usually works ok for me

RE: Brake pedal goes to the floor?!? - 306Puggy - 03-12-2012

The best way to bleed the brakes is to let gravity do the work by simply undoing one bleed valve at a time and waiting until the fluid drips. I tried one of those bleed kits (it was just a bit of pipe) and it didn't even work because it kept coming off. The gravity method is the only way to be sure.

(03-12-2012, 04:27 PM)306Puggy Wrote: The best way to bleed the brakes is to let gravity do the work by simply undoing one bleed valve at a time and waiting until the fluid drips. I tried one of those bleed kits (it was just a bit of pipe) and it didn't even work because it kept coming off. The gravity method is the only way to be sure.

Gravity?? Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Or might be your fuel filter id check that too (its proven!!) Tongue

RE: Brake pedal goes to the floor?!? - 306Puggy - 03-12-2012

Well, that is what worked for me, certainly worth a try rather than going out and buying an expensive ezibleed kitSmile

RE: Brake pedal goes to the floor?!? - karl1989 - 03-12-2012

mines doing this but i know now that the rear cylinder is leaking. got brake fluid on my wheel Sad

had my brakes open all night to empty...needed them completely empty to out race fluid in (different car)....didnt get a drop!!!

Brake pedal goes to the floor?!? - Seb_Ryan - 04-12-2012

Does it still brake? Just a lot of travel?

RE: Brake pedal goes to the floor?!? - 306Puggy - 04-12-2012

(03-12-2012, 09:13 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: had my brakes open all night to empty...needed them completely empty to out race fluid in (different car)....didnt get a drop!!!

You need to do it one corner at a time bud. As soon as there is a steady drip then close the valve. Also leave the filler cap off whilst you do this to stop the vacuum preventing the fluid dripping out.