Screetching on boost after turning down wastegate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Screetching on boost after turning down wastegate
A few months back I replaced the manifold gasket on my engine, whilst I had the manifold and turbo off I decided that I would wind the wastegate down to stop myself from being tempted to turn the boost up until I got a controller. Now when the boost gets to a certain level, there is a screetching noise which I am presuming is the wastegate letting off the extra pressure. Or is it a boost leak? I have never had a boost leak that sounds that loud before so I am hoping it is just the effect of the wastegate but I've renewed the intercooler seal just to be sure, it's still doing it.
Thanks given by:
Sound like metallic screeching? If so the compressor is trimming itself!
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Compressor trimming itself? You mean the blades catching on the inside of the housing? Why would that happen? It is something I've never heard before now, it sounds somewhat similar to a belt slipping.
Thanks given by:
If the turbo's f*cked there will be lateral movement in the bearings allowing the turbines to contact the housings which will get worse as turbine speed increases.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I did this my my last turbo, started sounding like a police siren
Thanks given by:
What psi and what turbo are you running?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Heh, taken it out today again. I am pretty sure the blades are catching. I am running a K14 at 14.5 psi (standard pressure). I had taken the turbo off to replace the manifold gasket so I don't know if that might have caused it. It was running 22psi before though. I don't know if it is because I didn't change the oil for a couple years, but then I had only done about 6k the last couple years anyway.
Thanks given by:
oil should be changed every year or whatever miles your service intervals are
Thanks given by:
Due you get a kick out of stating the obvious?
Thanks given by:
Whoa whoa whoa only being helpful :p
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Heh, I was talking to Daniel306. So this is definately not just the wastegate letting air out then?
Thanks given by:
So does anyone know what's causing this?
Thanks given by:
with out more information / pictures / videos we can't really help much more,
I'd suggest that it's your cars way of telling you your turbo is on its way out

Have you been running de filter?
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
No I've always had the whole intake ducting on. The only thing I can think of is not changing the oil for two years; but then I hardly ever drove it during that period either.
Thanks given by:
Sounds to me like turbos shafted. (broken) lol.... Im pretty sure you've described the exact noise mine makes Wink
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Heh, this was actually the result of putting the LDA pin diaphram on the wrong way around. When I had the missfire and shaking at low revs problem I thought that perhaps I was wrong assuming that what looked like the right way round was actually the right way round so put it the wrong way around to see if that would solve the shaking in gear.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  T2 wastegate arm AdamInNi 4 1,372 02-09-2014, 11:02 AM
Last Post: Dave
  welded wastegate help daveylennon93 16 3,791 31-07-2014, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Dum-Dum
  T2 wastegate pbell283 20 4,449 06-06-2014, 09:59 AM
Last Post: toseland