Removing/Destroying DHY EGR piping

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Removing/Destroying DHY EGR piping
My EGR plug has been disconnected a while but I'd like to do something with the actual pipe so that if and when I swap to my non EGR Xantia manifold I don't have to mess about changing the EGR exhaust manifold.

I think I remember reading somewhere that it isn't that strong and that you can squish it closed with some pliers and then put sealant over either end?

Does anyone have any simple methods which can be done with everyday tools (e.g. not a welder)?

Many thanks!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
take the valve out of the exhaust manifold, weld it shut and bolt back into place, once you have changed the inlet manifold remove the pipe from the valve, job done Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:take the valve out of the exhaust manifold, weld it shut and bolt back into place, once you have changed the inlet manifold remove the pipe from the valve, job done Smile

No welder available Mark!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Take the valve off and somehow lamper it in a high temp adhesive so it's stuck closed... Should be OK that way.

If it releases it makes a horrific noise though, hissing crackling noise under boost and the cabin fills with coal. Make sure you do it well enough first time round.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Ruan Wrote:Take the valve off and somehow lamper it in a high temp adhesive so it's stuck closed... Should be OK that way.

If it releases it makes a horrific noise though, hissing crackling noise under boost and the cabin fills with coal. Make sure you do it well enough first time round.

I don't quite understand what you mean Ruan? And when you say take the valve off are we talking inlet end?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
silverzx Wrote:
Ruan Wrote:Take the valve off and somehow lamper it in a high temp adhesive so it's stuck closed... Should be OK that way.

I don't quite understand what you mean Ruan? And when you say take the valve off are we talking inlet end?

The 'valve' is on the exhaust manifold. The only thing on the inlet end it the hard metal tube (~1" thick) which comes from the valve on the exhaust mani.
Thanks given by:
Dan! Wrote:
silverzx Wrote:I don't quite understand what you mean Ruan? And when you say take the valve off are we talking inlet end?

The 'valve' is on the exhaust manifold. The only thing on the inlet end it the hard metal tube (~1" thick) which comes from the valve on the exhaust mani.

Lol cheers Dan, I'm a bit of a spanner when it comes to anything I've not looked into before. Doh

Is it easy to get off? I'm guessing getting underneath would be the best route?

Also, when I remove my inlet should I block/crush/seal/etc the 1" pipe as best as I can?

Sorry if I'm testing anyones patience but it doesn't really make all that much sense to me as to how it works!

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRprG7nXPTk

Errr. Tongue
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Im too nice.....

[Image: EGRexplanation.jpg]

Make a bit more sense? Smile Obviously I didnt draw it quite how its laid out in the engine bay, but that should help you see how it works and let you work out which bit you want to block/take off etc. I think its easier to get to from the top tbh. All you gotta remove is the plastic intake pipe from the air filter -> turbo, the one which runs along the back of the TMIC/inlet and you should be able to reach it all fairly easily. Smile
Thanks given by:
The valve is held in by 2 x allen bolts and is on the top of the exhaust manifold, once the valve is sealed shut just remove the pipe from the valve after you change the manifold, otherwise you will have a big hole in your inlet manifold and it won't hold boost too well.

As for how they work, basicly the valve lets exhaust gasses back into the inlet manifold (via the metal pipe) to soot up all the inlet side of things.

Edit: lol Dan, that diagram is awesome! it looks like my 4 year old son drew it ROFL
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:Edit: lol Dan, that diagram is awesome! it looks like my 4 year old son drew it ROFL

:dance:

Look, theres only so much detail and accuracy I can use when im drawing it at my desk at work lol Cut me some slack :violin: lmao
Thanks given by:
Dan! Wrote::dance:

Look, theres only so much detail and accuracy I can use when im drawing it at my desk at work lol Cut me some slack :violin: lmao

Its probably clearer than my description though :roll:
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Na that's brilliant boys! :-) Nice one Dan!

I presume this is the valve in the "closed" position. So it would be a matter of squirting a load of silicone sealant over and around it?
[Image: egr.png]

Blue ring: area to apply sealant.
Red ring: doesn't need to be blocked providing the blue ring area is sealed tight/correctly?
[Image: coloured.png]

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Thanks Dan and Mark. Tongue
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Correctomundo Smile
Thanks given by:
I would rep you if I could but we haven't got that implemented yet right?

That little area I ringed with blue looks so small and also as its a flat surface so the sealant won't have much to grip to.

Is this tried and tested method? I imagine the EGR shouldn't move anyway seeing as its unplugged so it shouldn't be that much of an issue?

That brings me back to Ruans comment, if this did for some reason blow upon from boost then it would just be causing a major leak from the hot side of the turbo correct? Which in effect would still be drivable but would require immediate attention.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
As above, this is correct, but don't remove the metal pipe until you swap your inlet manifold as I said in my last post or you will have an epic boost leak lol

Edit:- and I wouldn't use silicone, it needs to be heat resistant epoxy stuff if you can't weld it, also if it was to open again its after the turbo so just a massive exhaust leak and a cabin full of coal, you would know about it!!

Another alternative is to make a metal plate the same size as the bottom of the valve and bolt it on in place of the valve with some instant gasket Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:As above, this is correct, but don't remove the metal pipe until you swap your inlet manifold as I said in my last post or you will have an epic boost leak lol

Edit:- and I wouldn't use silicone, it needs to be heat resistant epoxy stuff if you can't weld it, also if it was to open again its after the turbo so just a massive exhaust leak and a cabin full of coal, you would know about it!!

Another alternative is to make a metal plate the same size as the bottom of the valve and bolt it on in place of the valve with some instant gasket Smile

I thought this black silicone stuff is supposed to be super heat resistant. I'll check the box later.. epoxy looks cheap enough though if you vouch for it then I could buy a tube! Smile

A palte would defiantly be a better solution which I suppose I could do if I got a spare EGR from a scrappy.. :think:
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
I'm vouching for nothing, mine was welded Tongue

Just get some steel plate, when you change your inlet manifold unbolt the egr valve and cut out a plate roughly the same size as the valve and drill 2 holes in it in the same place as the EGR and bolt into place Smile

Thinking about it my old manifold might be lying around in my workshop, I will have a look later, you can always have the plate off that if its there!
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:I'm vouching for nothing, mine was welded Tongue

Just get some steel plate, when you change your inlet manifold unbolt the egr valve and cut out a plate roughly the same size as the valve and drill 2 holes in it in the same place as the EGR and bolt into place Smile

Thinking about it my old manifold might be lying around in my workshop, I will have a look later, you can always have the plate off that if its there!

Legend!!!! :dance:
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
silverzx Wrote:Legend!!!! :dance:

I'll warn you now, its not pretty but it works Tongue

will let you know later Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:
silverzx Wrote:Legend!!!! :dance:

I'll warn you now, its not pretty but it works Tongue

will let you know later Smile

Its hardly gonna get looked at tucked behind the back of the engine though is it lol. lol
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
My thinking entirely ROFL
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
*Just so you know, I haven't forgotten about this, just not had time to look for you yet Smile

Worst comes to the worst I will make you one because i'm nice and all that Tongue
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Lol, theres no rush mate. Your my man.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  fmic piping philpemberton94 7 1,733 04-11-2014, 02:32 PM
Last Post: silverzx
  intercooler piping kits? LewisG306 13 2,761 27-11-2013, 03:12 PM
  Turbo inlet and piping re-route questions (Pics and new Q's) ginge191 45 9,439 23-01-2012, 09:47 AM