Abs does anyone's work

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abs does anyone's work
Thumbs Up 
Are the abs units on 306's like the air con? Blessed if it works

I've had 2 with abs now and the wheels just lock up.

Prefer non abs anyway just wondered why it Doesn't work
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
It won't work if any of the ABS sensors need replacing (inb4EdDoe/4potscomment) so you may just have been unlucky.
Thanks given by:
I hate ABS it's just a stupidmotherf*ckingelectronicnannypeiceofshitandiscrapandhateful lol

But it seems like you have an issue there, all 3 of mine have (irritatingly) worked fine!
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
yup most likely a broken sensor but could also be a faulty pump controller (built into the pump so new pump time) or abs ring on driveshafts or damaged wiring or a fuse...check fuses first then test the sensors next. Search for my guide on testing sensors on how to test abs sensors

(14-11-2012, 10:58 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: I hate ABS it's just a stupidmotherf*ckingelectronicnannypeiceofshitandiscrapandhateful lol

But it seems like you have an issue there, all 3 of mine have (irritatingly) worked fine!

In all fairness, i think the 306 abs is very unobtrusive compared to some cars ive driven. My skoda is shocking. it will kick in at the most simple of stops!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Mine cuts in way too often on country lanes, if I want to stop in a passing place, as soon as the nearside wheel finds mud, the ABS kicks in.

And it's a ballache in snow, it nearly killed me once, coming down a singletrack 1in3 hill, tried to slow down before the top, ABS cuts in, speed keeps going up. I just managed to keep the car straight using the handbrake, luckily it was a clear road!

Thanks given by:
ABS makes driving worse in two conditions i can think of..snow and gravel/loose surface.

Maybe youve got a dodgy sensor then because mines spot on. mine doesnt kick in until them "oh f*ck, this is really going to hurt" moments
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
TBH mate it's fine on "normal" roads. But there's a lot of wet, muddy, leafy, gravel etc up here, so that's why I hate it,

I know the wheel will lock up on the mud, I'm expecting it. So the car think's it's smart to turn the brakes off? Yep. I heart ABS

Thanks given by:
yeah, abs is bollocks for loose surfaces where you almost want to build up a wedge in front of the wheels to help slow you down
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Worked fine on my '6 but I unplugged it on estate
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:
I don't want it it's useless hate it.

Just wondered why it didn't work, no lights have been on the dash of the 2 cars in question and abs light goes on and off as should weird!
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Mine works, stopped me from having to introducing myself to a porche driver on a greasy/muddy road
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yup..mine works. In real conditions, in real traffic with good rubber. Tested in the wet recently, in an evasive lane change.
Thanks given by:
Mines also worked when it needed to.........bit of a pita on snow but thats like 7 days out of 365 lol..... It cuts at low speed anyway (like 5mph) so if youre going at a sensible speed on loose ground its not a problem.

As with ESP or airbags.......they're not there to be relied upon, they're there for emergencies where you panic.....
Thanks given by:
I've never had a problem with any of the 306's in my hands. *shrug*
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
AB-what?

Sounds heavy.
Thanks given by:
The later ph3 is a thousand times better than the P2 system, the Ph3 system is 4-wheel ABS with load compensation, whereas teh Ph2 one is simply 2 wheel ABS and is fecking lethal... I've tried it countless times, in almost all situations, I can stop faster without ABS than with, especially on the Ph2 system...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
The problem i find with the ABS is it just dosent react fast enough. I can feel the wheels lock and let off slightly before the abs system does but then it works out that one had locked and lets off that corner slightly and it makes the car very unbalanced under heavy breaking.
Thanks given by:
That can't be Phase 3 you're referring to. As Ruan says the Phase 3 is a very good system, mine never ever intrudes unless you hit a bump during braking (i.e the rumble strip near me house).

As for the Phase 2, I don't remember mine being intrusive. Can't say i've tested it extensively but I don't have an issue with it unsettling the car, i'm known as th elast of the late brakers to my friends for some reason. Huh
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Put it this way. The Bosch ABS5 in the ph3 must be ok if it's still used in some new built cars now. I've never had a issue with it and always been quite reassured by it after a few hairy moments!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
The Ph2 isn't so much intrusive, so much as when it DOES intrude, it is a hindrance rather than a help... The idea of ABS is that it gives you control over the car, which is all well and good, but when it's at the TOTAL expense of all deceleration, it's not much f*cking good... There's some situations where you need to STOP DEAD, there's no avoidance route/swerve into the other lane - you've got a hedge either side and a car straight on, you can have all the control in the world, but it's not going to stop you ploughing into the front bumper of an inviting looking wanker in the middle of the road...

The Ph3 system at least gives you (relatively) good deceleration and control... It's a compromise, sure, but it's at least significantly safer than the older system.... With the Ph2 system it simply feels like your brake pedal lifts under your foot and you just stop slowing as SOON as the ABS engages... You can steer wherever you want, but all you're going to adjust is whether you get the N/S or the O/S of the car...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
Abs is for gays and or gingers ninja /// Ph 1 no ABS ftw.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
My abs is 4 wheel Ruan? Late ph2.

and when it's snowy. Isn't it possible to just disconnect a sensor plug, throw it into fault mode so it doesn't work? Problem solved!
Thanks given by:
Or just pull the fuse...
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
+1......
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
Just unplug the pump, that's what I do!

I swear ALL ph2s have 2 wheel ABS?

By 2 wheel ABS I mean it does have 4 sensors, it just only brakes 2 wheels at a time, you can't differentiate the pumps, it's just that it's got 2 extra spool valves and some extra software... The 4 wheel ABS5 systems also don't have load compensators on the rear beams...

I lie, you can, the 4 wheel systems seem to have a red tag on the multiplug to the pump, the 2 wheels seem to have a black release tag.
Thanks given by:
(29-11-2012, 10:23 PM)Ruan Wrote: Just unplug the pump, that's what I do!

I swear ALL ph2s have 2 wheel ABS?

By 2 wheel ABS I mean it does have 4 sensors, it just only brakes 2 wheels at a time, you can't differentiate the pumps, it's just that it's got 2 extra spool valves and some extra software...

yeah ph2s are 2 wheel. so if you lock up one front wheel, both will fluctuate. The ph3 can control every wheel individually which gives control to steer under heavy braking
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Ah fair enough - I never really used it tbh. Lots more brake control on dturbo master cylinder and gti6 brakes.
Thanks given by:
(29-11-2012, 10:13 PM)Ruan Wrote: The Ph2 isn't so much intrusive, so much as when it DOES intrude, it is a hindrance rather than a help... The idea of ABS is that it gives you control over the car, which is all well and good, but when it's at the TOTAL expense of all deceleration, it's not much f*cking good... There's some situations where you need to STOP DEAD, there's no avoidance route/swerve into the other lane - you've got a hedge either side and a car straight on, you can have all the control in the world, but it's not going to stop you ploughing into the front bumper of an inviting looking wanker in the middle of the road...

The Ph3 system at least gives you (relatively) good deceleration and control... It's a compromise, sure, but it's at least significantly safer than the older system.... With the Ph2 system it simply feels like your brake pedal lifts under your foot and you just stop slowing as SOON as the ABS engages... You can steer wherever you want, but all you're going to adjust is whether you get the N/S or the O/S of the car...

i can vouch for this...
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
It's more often on the roads I drive that there's NOWHERE to go and I'd rather just stop, I've got more chance of gaining control of the car with no ABS and sticking it somewhere other than a car where there's room to do so than ABS stopping me in an emergency situation where there isn't anywhere to go...

If you see my point?
Thanks given by:
i got the 4 wheel bosch abs but also a load compensator but mine is 2.5 lol. the bendix system is the 2 wheel one.

Never got into the situation to use my abs tbh i'm a motorcyclist so i have sight beyond sight lol
Don't worry about what I'm doing, I want you to worry about what you're doing
Thanks given by: