turbo problems

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
turbo problems
Hi my 306 has boosting problems it has a k and n air filter on but wen it goes on boost it doesn't really have much pull it makes a very loud noise (like a jet noise lol) what could this be split boost pipe ??
Thanks given by:
More likely going to be the pipe has come off the turbo compressor outlet, that would give you the 'jet' sound when on throttle..
Captain Standard

Thanks given by:
Split boost pipe is my bet try finding a leak when your turbo makes a jet noise normally lol

usually the common place is the one from turbo up over the rocker cover Smile
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ok cheers al have a look tomorrow would this be causing bad mpg aswell ? A get 50 miles of a 10a
Thanks given by:
Get a boost gauge on her... I'm assuming (except from the filter), shes standard...or?
PH1 306 XUD - 11mm VE, Big 'bine, TMIC = Plenty of coal, abuse, heatsoak and a power band of 4.3k - 6k = One shagged car.
[Image: sig2.png]
Thanks given by:
(12-11-2012, 03:40 PM)Ropoer123 Wrote: Ok cheers al have a look tomorrow would this be causing bad mpg aswell ? A get 50 miles of a 10a

yeah will affect mpg loads, i did this the other week running 30psi :S and was aweful to drive. a sign is the coal coming out the back and no power but this was a bad tear, but down to shit pipes out on by previous owner some lads from the RR can vouch for piping haha

[Image: 20121027_112245.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yeah mate a think its standard except for the filter a was told the fuel and turbo had been turned up but don't think it has but if the pipe is split it will obviously not be boosting proply so al find out when a fix the jet noise lol and am gunna get a boost gauge for her but it has 180 thou on the clock so dont want to mess about with it too much

Nasty that pipe aswell lol
Thanks given by:
Ok pal. I'm not really suggesting the boost gauge for tuning, just so you have some certain figures to look at. Being standard pressure being around 13~psi and if you stick one on now and you find its boosting like 7psi, you know you could be looking at a boost leak. Or, you fix your 'jet noise' and you find it's boosting 18psi, then you know the fuel/turbo has been altered. Just easier for troubleshooting.
PH1 306 XUD - 11mm VE, Big 'bine, TMIC = Plenty of coal, abuse, heatsoak and a power band of 4.3k - 6k = One shagged car.
Thanks given by:
Nothing wrong with 180k on the clock. There was one floating around on ebay not so long ago with over 300k on it! lol

Definitely get a boost gauge on it asap, wouldnt have a turbo'd car wihtout one tbh. Dunno why they didnt come as standard! Wink
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
my bets that pipe i mentions probably got an approx slit of 1cm on the bend facing engine
Thanks given by:
Ok cheers for that lads al get the pipe sorted tomorrow if it is that and al get a boost gauge too what mpg do yous get out of yours if you drive sensible ? If you can lol
Thanks given by:
I wont use mine as an example of mpg, its doing terribly at the moment, and im not sure why. MIGHT just be my driving, but im trying to be good, and ive still only got 300ish miles to 3/4 tank so far. Sad
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
In terms of boost leak, turbo outlet pipe as mentioned, "d seal" on the tmic (rubber gasket that connects onto the inlet mani) and perhaps the inlet mani itself is not tight upon the head etc. There's a few possibilities really...
Thanks given by:
Ok cheers al also check them aswell
Thanks given by:
Av just had a quick look and there is a pipe missing from were U fill your oil up to some top hat looking thing in the bottom right of the intercooler could this be the problem ?
Thanks given by:
how can you get to the turbo pipes a took intercooler off today but still didnt have great access
Thanks given by:
Support the engine by putting a jack under it, jack it up ever so slightly. Then remove the engine mount, the one on the top left. You should then be able to rock the engine toward you, I tend to shove a scissor jack behind the inlet mani against the bulkhead and wind it out to make a little room.
[Image: brokendown-1-1-1.jpg]

Dturbo GT2259s build thread;
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-3692.html

Daily driver; 330d Msport (doesn't blow up!)
Thanks given by:
i did this last week, i put a jack with a bit of wood on the sump and unding the 3 nuts on engine mount by fuel pump, lowered the enging down and pulled it forward, took 15 minutes start to finish to change the boost pipe from turbo to intercooler Smile mine had the same problem, boosting 4psi because it burst the pipe.
Thanks given by:
Ahh right cheers lads al try that how many pipes come off your turbo and were do they go ??
Thanks given by:
Well, you said you have taken off the intercooler. - So you have taken off the pipe the intercoolers end, so it's just that pipe...just follow that and you will be the turbo's outlet...
Thanks given by:
even with my big gorilla like arms i can reach around the back of the engine from passenger side and get to the jubilee to untighten it and remove the turbo to intercooler pipe.......

no need to move engine if you have techniqueThumbsUp
Don't worry about what I'm doing, I want you to worry about what you're doing
Thanks given by:
Ok al try that it seemed like the brake fluid bottle was in the way al try getting it off tomorrow
Thanks given by:
position yourself over the passenger wing with feet facing towards engine bay, put your right arm down behind battery then follow the bulkhead below the intake and inlet man but above the exhaust mani. when you do it you'll see how easy it is but word of advice you can't see it your going by touch so make sure engine is cold lol
Thanks given by:
were you from?. as said you could take in intake pipe of the car and get a screw driver down the back of the engine. leave engine mount on.
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
Ok cheers al try that a no what you mean a had the intake pipe off today but didn't really no what a was looking for but a do now and am from Newcastle mate
Thanks given by:
if it's not that pipe your manifold is loose if it's the same as mine. the new pipe from pug is £75 i bought one and didn't need it lol got a pipe in my garage though if yours is split pm me if it is and we'll come to an arrangement
Thanks given by:
Ok cheers mate al let you no when av had a look and is it common for the manifold to become loose ?
Thanks given by:
well yes and no to be totally honest.

yes if it's had work done to it and the person either never used a new gasket or never tightened up everything properly

no if it's never been troubled
Thanks given by:
I Have just tried to get my turbo pipe off but couldn't because of the way the jubilee clip was it was facing the bulk head and I didnt have anything small enough to get at it but a checked the pipe it looks fairly new and doesn't seem split but what I did find was that there is quite alot of oil in the intercooler pipes and some in the intercooler what could that be ? And could it be causing the jet noise.

And these d turbos are a nightmare to work on no space what so ever! Lol just thought a would add that Tongue
Thanks given by:
Oil is normal. Your turbo could be shitting itself, ruining performance, making noises, and letting oil pass...but, everyone defines "quite alot of oil" in different ways though...

Get a video up of this jet noise... does it do it when giving it some load? Or is it doing it when just revving it when stationary? Pics of the oil as well. It's probably just the normal amount of oil though to be honest..

Also, did you get that boost gauge sorted? Tongue

Does it smoke when giving it some load as well?

The more I read this thread, this more I keep thinking it's just your k&n and stage1 tune making some intake noise Tongue

So yea, get a video...
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  306 D Turbo heater problems gazsa401 21 6,375 13-12-2016, 05:46 PM
Last Post: gazsa401
  Facelift berlingo d turbo rear engine mount problems Jamieh2013 7 2,342 12-05-2015, 05:01 PM
Last Post: Jonny81191
  T2 Turbo Problems Conor_DTS 19 4,071 30-12-2012, 11:31 PM
Last Post: Mattcheese31