MOT Fail

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MOT Fail
Sad 
Had my MOT yesterday.

Failed on number plate light out (simple fix)

and hand brake efficancy.

Now i know 306 hand brakes are pants but how do i go about adjusting it? Is it a drum off job or is there an adjuster in the car
Quote:(15:06:27) Toms306: Wd40d it and had a good tug, came straight off

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5522]

Thanks given by:
You can adjust the cable in the car, it's behind the hand brake under the rear leccy window switch but it'll probably be the auto adjusters in the drums!
[Image: A1A3B2B1-9269-463A-9F21-2ABF4CE9BEAC-165...A3B3F7.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Sure it didn't fail on the colour.....
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Rofl!
[Image: A1A3B2B1-9269-463A-9F21-2ABF4CE9BEAC-165...A3B3F7.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(09-11-2012, 03:32 PM)Matt Wrote: Sure it didn't fail on the colour.....

well as its so dirty at the moment i dont think he could tell! looks more baige at the moment then eye burning gold!

Thanks given by:
as above - handbrake cable is easy fix - take the sheathing off the handbrake/centre console she'bang and find this:

[Image: 28032009663.jpg]

From here; tighten the centre bolt (13mm iirc) and feel the lever get harder to lift (tightening the cable up)

job's a good'n
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
No that's not the adjuster... That's just for taking the slack out of the cables, to adjust the brakes properly its a drum off job... But its not difficult
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Not difficult?? Drum brakes are horrible! That said, I managed to replace and adjust mine on the 1.4 and they still work fine now so it can't be that hard lol.
Thanks given by:
(09-11-2012, 05:14 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Not difficult?? Drum brakes are horrible! That said, I managed to replace and adjust mine on the 1.4 and they still work fine now so it can't be that hard lol.

yeah after i spent 6 months talking you through it . .lol

it's not a hard job though . .
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Tbh the drum brakes are a damnsight better than the discs for the handbrake...
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
(09-11-2012, 05:14 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Not difficult?? Drum brakes are horrible! That said, I managed to replace and adjust mine on the 1.4 and they still work fine now so it can't be that hard lol.

No tom, not difficult
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
drums aint that bad to work on, its not like you are replacing the shoes. might have to knock the drum off with a hammer though
Thanks given by:
Seriuosly don't understand how this is still going Tongue

It's really simple to fix, just book it in and get it resprayed already
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Ben, if you were a car, you'd fail an mot
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Should not need to take the drum off to adjust it, its possible to put a screwdriver in the wheel bolt hole and adjust it up
Thanks given by:
the colours grown on me now...but some ninja upgrades are in the pipeline when the money is avaible...

Thanks given by:
Found this because i was searching for how to adjust the h/brake..my hdi failed yesterday for the same problem..is there a sticky/guide for how to adjust with disk brakes?
Thanks given by:
(17-11-2012, 11:19 PM)laserhalen Wrote: Found this because i was searching for how to adjust the h/brake..my hdi failed yesterday for the same problem..is there a sticky/guide for how to adjust with disk brakes?

have a look through guide section if not there is a suspension section pal and if no luck just make a thread requesting info Smile
Official Team Go-NAD fan club
Thanks given by:
under the centre console, behind the handbrake lever, under the carpet, there is a 13mm nut that adjusts the preload on the cables. razz that up a bit, that'll help
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Ensuring that the mechanism actually moves with the cables is a good start. If the cable is stretched like mine were then razzing the adjsuter does f*ck all. New cables cost under 30 the pair from Peugeot when I replaced them (beam change).

I would suggest firstly that you overhaul the rear brakes, namely grease the sliding assembly and indeed the piston itself. Generally, you will find the handbrake much improved if you actually service them properly. Red rubber grease is your friend here as it doesn't dry out.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Cheers for the advice all, yesterday i replaced pads all round, and applied the copper slip in the right places (to the best of my knowledge!)..for the fronts i could push back the piston to allow room for the new pads but for the rears i had to screw the piston in a turn and a half or so. I presume thats how its supposed to be?..given that, it makes sense that i the handbrake still travels as high as it does..just I was expecting a better/tighter braking effort..i will adjust the cable as has been described but i reckon i might need a new pair!!
Thanks given by:
Did you have the car in the air and check the handbrake efficiency on the rear wheels?
Thanks given by:
Ill do a guide its really easy.
And no they have to check on a break tester which is on the floor. It rotates the wheels and the tester pulls the handbrake to see how efficient it is.

Thanks given by: