306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
MOT Fail - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: General (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: The Couch (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: MOT Fail (/showthread.php?tid=7805)

MOT Fail - Ben Jay - 09-11-2012

Had my MOT yesterday.

Failed on number plate light out (simple fix)

and hand brake efficancy.

Now i know 306 hand brakes are pants but how do i go about adjusting it? Is it a drum off job or is there an adjuster in the car

RE: MOT Fail - Oil-burner - 09-11-2012

You can adjust the cable in the car, it's behind the hand brake under the rear leccy window switch but it'll probably be the auto adjusters in the drums!

RE: MOT Fail - Matt - 09-11-2012

Sure it didn't fail on the colour.....

RE: MOT Fail - Oil-burner - 09-11-2012

Rofl!

RE: MOT Fail - Ben Jay - 09-11-2012

(09-11-2012, 03:32 PM)Matt Wrote: Sure it didn't fail on the colour.....

well as its so dirty at the moment i dont think he could tell! looks more baige at the moment then eye burning gold!

RE: MOT Fail - ginge191 - 09-11-2012

as above - handbrake cable is easy fix - take the sheathing off the handbrake/centre console she'bang and find this:

[Image: 28032009663.jpg]

From here; tighten the centre bolt (13mm iirc) and feel the lever get harder to lift (tightening the cable up)

job's a good'n

RE: MOT Fail - Connor - 09-11-2012

No that's not the adjuster... That's just for taking the slack out of the cables, to adjust the brakes properly its a drum off job... But its not difficult

RE: MOT Fail - Toms306 - 09-11-2012

Not difficult?? Drum brakes are horrible! That said, I managed to replace and adjust mine on the 1.4 and they still work fine now so it can't be that hard lol.

RE: MOT Fail - Mattcheese31 - 09-11-2012

(09-11-2012, 05:14 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Not difficult?? Drum brakes are horrible! That said, I managed to replace and adjust mine on the 1.4 and they still work fine now so it can't be that hard lol.

yeah after i spent 6 months talking you through it . .lol

it's not a hard job though . .

RE: MOT Fail - Ed Doe - 09-11-2012

Tbh the drum brakes are a damnsight better than the discs for the handbrake...

RE: MOT Fail - Connor - 09-11-2012

(09-11-2012, 05:14 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Not difficult?? Drum brakes are horrible! That said, I managed to replace and adjust mine on the 1.4 and they still work fine now so it can't be that hard lol.

No tom, not difficult

RE: MOT Fail - stevieg - 10-11-2012

drums aint that bad to work on, its not like you are replacing the shoes. might have to knock the drum off with a hammer though

RE: MOT Fail - Matt - 11-11-2012

Seriuosly don't understand how this is still going Tongue

It's really simple to fix, just book it in and get it resprayed already

RE: MOT Fail - samass - 11-11-2012

Ben, if you were a car, you'd fail an mot

RE: MOT Fail - Daniel306 - 11-11-2012

Should not need to take the drum off to adjust it, its possible to put a screwdriver in the wheel bolt hole and adjust it up

RE: MOT Fail - Ben Jay - 11-11-2012

the colours grown on me now...but some ninja upgrades are in the pipeline when the money is avaible...

MOT Fail - laserhalen - 17-11-2012

Found this because i was searching for how to adjust the h/brake..my hdi failed yesterday for the same problem..is there a sticky/guide for how to adjust with disk brakes?

RE: MOT Fail - the milkman - 17-11-2012

(17-11-2012, 11:19 PM)laserhalen Wrote: Found this because i was searching for how to adjust the h/brake..my hdi failed yesterday for the same problem..is there a sticky/guide for how to adjust with disk brakes?

have a look through guide section if not there is a suspension section pal and if no luck just make a thread requesting info Smile

RE: MOT Fail - samass - 17-11-2012

under the centre console, behind the handbrake lever, under the carpet, there is a 13mm nut that adjusts the preload on the cables. razz that up a bit, that'll help

RE: MOT Fail - C2K - 18-11-2012

Ensuring that the mechanism actually moves with the cables is a good start. If the cable is stretched like mine were then razzing the adjsuter does f*ck all. New cables cost under 30 the pair from Peugeot when I replaced them (beam change).

I would suggest firstly that you overhaul the rear brakes, namely grease the sliding assembly and indeed the piston itself. Generally, you will find the handbrake much improved if you actually service them properly. Red rubber grease is your friend here as it doesn't dry out.

MOT Fail - laserhalen - 18-11-2012

Cheers for the advice all, yesterday i replaced pads all round, and applied the copper slip in the right places (to the best of my knowledge!)..for the fronts i could push back the piston to allow room for the new pads but for the rears i had to screw the piston in a turn and a half or so. I presume thats how its supposed to be?..given that, it makes sense that i the handbrake still travels as high as it does..just I was expecting a better/tighter braking effort..i will adjust the cable as has been described but i reckon i might need a new pair!!

RE: MOT Fail - r3k1355 - 19-11-2012

Did you have the car in the air and check the handbrake efficiency on the rear wheels?

RE: MOT Fail - Ben Jay - 19-11-2012

Ill do a guide its really easy.
And no they have to check on a break tester which is on the floor. It rotates the wheels and the tester pulls the handbrake to see how efficient it is.