XUD cold start problems.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XUD cold start problems.
At my wits end with this now,
Will not start when cold, the engine will crank over but won't fire.

Its running on diesel, tried jumping and trying a different battery both wont work
Fuel filter is fine, just changed the starter motor and that made no difference.

It will bump start and then will run fine. So ruling out timing issues. And once it's warmed up it will start fine =|

Any other obvious suggestions I have missed?
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Glow plugs, or glow plug relay!
Thanks given by:
Glow plugs are fine, tested them with an ammeter and voltmeter and they are working as they should.

Jake, keep your old starter motor with you and we'll strip it down when I next see you.
Thanks given by:
Sorry forgot to add in the first post I have Recently change the glow plugs.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Is it lumpy at all after it starts?
Mine had issues cold starting, just cranked and cranked then eventually went but was lump as f*ck for abit. New plugs sorted that though.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
Well you have air in the system....
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
U got a clear pipe u can use from filter to pump? I agree with dave as youve pretty much eliminated everything on fb and here now other than air in system
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Clear pipe has no air in it and if you squeeze the hand primer it goes pretty hard after 1 pump.
Thanks given by:
Sounds like air leak, and fuel draining back to tank over night, the fuel pipes under the bonnet go hard and split at the ends, replace pipes from primer to filter housing, and housing to pump, and sometimes the filter housing top warps aswell,
Thanks given by:
Does it go straight away with easy start, if its not air could be low on compression.
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Haven't even though of an air leak, could well be it.

Hav recently had the top of the pump off which could be leaking from there too I suppose.

Dan- If you fancy half inching a pump seal from work that would be appreciated Smile

(16-10-2012, 08:55 PM)dturbopeck Wrote: , replace pipes from primer to filter housing, and housing to pump, and sometimes the filter housing top warps aswell,

Will try this next,

Thanks for the replys guys Smile.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Jake I remember just before you tried to start your car last time there was that bubble in the fuel line. Might well be that!

Another 306 day again Soon Dan Wink
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
I would have said air getting in and fuel running back to tank, but if the primer goes hard after one pump then this is unlikely? Can you crack off an injector pipe and check to see if fuel is coming through when you are trying to start it? Does it smoke when you are cranking?
Thanks given by:
(16-10-2012, 09:44 PM)declantg Wrote: Jake I remember just before you tried to start your car last time there was that bubble in the fuel line. Might well be that!

Another 306 day again Soon Dan Wink

I'm down for sunday? I need new TRE's & lower arms..
Thanks given by:
(16-10-2012, 10:04 PM)ally406 Wrote: I would have said air getting in and fuel running back to tank, but if the primer goes hard after one pump then this is unlikely? Can you crack off an injector pipe and check to see if fuel is coming through when you are trying to start it? Does it smoke when you are cranking?

Small puffs Of white/grey smoke when trying then a big smokescreen when it starts, still need to crack the injectors to see really.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
My old dt used to do this, tried everything!
Turned out to be leak off pipes and fuel filter housing (white plug on the back was leaking)
Thanks given by:
Im only thinking of air as i remember strictly_derv having a similar problem
Thanks given by:
(16-10-2012, 11:27 PM)Jake Wrote:
(16-10-2012, 10:04 PM)ally406 Wrote: I would have said air getting in and fuel running back to tank, but if the primer goes hard after one pump then this is unlikely? Can you crack off an injector pipe and check to see if fuel is coming through when you are trying to start it? Does it smoke when you are cranking?

Small puffs Of white/grey smoke when trying then a big smokescreen when it starts, still need to crack the injectors to see really.

Yeah mines the same, Iam trying to find time to fix it,
Thanks given by:
Does it start instantly when you bump it?

Are you 100% that the plugs are glowing / they are deffo working? Confirm head of engine has a good ground...

Does it fire on some cylinders and not others? Or just dead nothing and then starts / runs fine?

Does it motor at a decent speed or does it drag?
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
i get a small cloud of white ish smoke if i dont let the glow plugs warm up properly and i think i have abit of air in the system...
Stealth 3door Dturbo - In progress
http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak...6076_n.jpg
Thanks given by:
(17-10-2012, 10:17 AM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Does it start instantly when you bump it?

Are you 100% that the plugs are glowing / they are deffo working? Confirm head of engine has a good ground...

Does it fire on some cylinders and not others? Or just dead nothing and then starts / runs fine?

Wouldn't say it starts instantly when bumping but fires once or twice then starts,
Ill check the plugs again when I get back in about half hour or so,

When it starts it defo runs on all 4.

Where abouts are the grounds for the head, that will probably be the next thin to rule out.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
I'd imagine it grounds through the engine mounts?
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(17-10-2012, 10:17 AM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Does it start instantly when you bump it?

Wouldn't say it starts instantly when bumping but fires once or twice then starts,
Ill check the plugs again when I get back in about half hour or so,

When it starts it defo runs on all 4.

And apart from the wastegate creeping it drives fine.

Where abouts are the grounds for the head, that will probably be the next thing to rule out.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
It just grounds via head bolts / gasket etc, but worth checking or else the plugs wont work when in the car itself, but fine everywhere else!

Could be air related if it dosnt start instantly, go local moto factors and buy a 2 quid fuel one way valve and put it on fuel intake on pump, if it fixes it, then theres your problem Smile
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
does sound like issue with glow plugs, use a jump lead to make an earth and then test it
[Image: signiture.jpg]
Midnightclub Wrote:All the cool kids have ph 2 Nile 6's!
Thanks given by:
(17-10-2012, 12:01 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: It just grounds via head bolts / gasket etc, but worth checking or else the plugs wont work when in the car itself, but fine everywhere else!

Could be air related if it dosnt start instantly, go local moto factors and buy a 2 quid fuel one way valve and put it on fuel intake on pump, if it fixes it, then theres your problem Smile

Thanks mate, plenty to try when I get home from work.

Hopefully dans picking me up a 1 way valve from work today too so can give that a go too .!
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Another thing to check is that theres still 12v getting to stop solenoid when your motoring it, a bad earth / other electrical issue can often cause the starter to drag down the engine earth / power and cause solenoid to shut while you motor it, but will obviously bump fine.
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
(17-10-2012, 04:15 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Another thing to check is that theres still 12v getting to stop solenoid when your motoring it, a bad earth / other electrical issue can often cause the starter to drag down the engine earth / power and cause solenoid to shut while you motor it, but will obviously bump fine.

^^^ this i can vouch for, had this problem on the blaze
Thanks given by:
Well after trying just about everything off the list it turns out that the *new* glow plugs were naff.

So replaced with new ones and it starts fine Smile

Thanks for the input from everyone though!
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Lol, so as normal, XUD wont start, glow plugs, topic over Tongue
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cold start issue- fuel pump? Blaze Addict 3 1,801 20-01-2019, 11:10 AM
Last Post: Martin306
  bosch cold start advance Teddy 19 4,357 08-02-2014, 12:12 PM