Subs and amp

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Subs and amp
How do I get he wiring through the bulkhead from battery into the car and where is the best place to earth on a estate plus does anyone have subs in an estate if so any piccies please
Thanks given by:
Just to the right above the brake servo theres a hole in the fire wall Smile you might have to get your head down low to see it (like chin on slam panel) but it is there i assure you.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
ill be putting a sub and amp in my estate in a few months time. Some people put the +ve through the accelerator cable on the drivers side but ive never been able to get it through there myself. I have always drilled a hole through the bulkhead passenger footwell. Basically if you look on the passenger floor there is a massive rubber grommet for the heater system. I drill about 1cm to the left of that. However you need to work out where it comes out on the engine side so you dont drill into aircon pipes etc!
Thanks given by:
If its none aircon then there's a square patch on the passenger side under the scuttle panel drill that. Or if its aircon in the passenger foot well there's a rubber grommet drill to the left of it.

Snap Rowell!
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
or take it under the car and then up thru a grommet in the boot floor. cover it in cable armour and away you go
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
What's cable armour and where can I get it from
Thanks given by:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5m-Flexible-...3a7acbf685

Thanks given by:
So run cable through that then drill a hole in boot floor pop in a grommet and sorted ?
Thanks given by:
yeah, cable tie it to brakelines on the passenger side of the car. no need to drill, there are grommets in the boot floor already. lift up the carpet and have a poke around

Thanks given by:
Sweet thanks for the advice that will be my first job on it then thanks very much for the advice
Thanks given by:
That's what I've done with mine. Much easier. I got 5m of cable armour from screw fix for £5
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
best place to wire your amp up if you dont want to go from the engine bay is to go from ignition then run it as you would if you had come through the fire wall

i will do a guide for it soon as it is a safer way to do it and take about 15min to do no drill no splicing Smile
Thanks given by:
(12-08-2013, 03:31 AM)lee890 Wrote: best place to wire your amp up if you dont want to go from the engine bay is to go from ignition then run it as you would if you had come through the fire wall

i will do a guide for it soon as it is a safer way to do it and take about 15min to do no drill no splicing Smile

Sorry are you saying take the main power supply for your amp from the ignition wiring? If so, this is not a good idea! That wiring is that size for a reason. Because it already supplies a lot of stuff!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(12-08-2013, 10:07 PM)Niall Wrote:
(12-08-2013, 03:31 AM)lee890 Wrote: best place to wire your amp up if you dont want to go from the engine bay is to go from ignition then run it as you would if you had come through the fire wall

Sorry are you saying take the main power supply for your amp from the ignition wiring? If so, this is not a good idea! That wiring is that size for a reason. Because it already supplies a lot of stuff!

its a safe way to do it i will pm you the connection i use and show it to you but its a way that i have done it on a few cars now with no issues after my father (ex RAF electrician) showed it to me as its the same way he has used to wire all his add on's into his many cars (mainly Peugeot's)
Thanks given by:
I'm sorry but I have to agree with Niall on this, that is not ideal at all. There's a reason they come direct from the battery... Plus, it's not exactly hard (especially on a 306) to do it that way.
Thanks given by:
Sorry dude but its just not a good idea. Consider that (and i know some will laugh at this) the wiring system in a 306 and in fact, any car is very delicately designed. They didnt just choose the size of them wires for a reason. They are that size to carry the current to supply power to every electrical item needing a switched live in the car without getting hot (too small - melting) and small enough to not cause any power delivery issues (too big - increase in resistance).
When you consider that even some of the smallest of amps around require a 20amp supply, thats quite a considerable load to put on a wire that you could already consider as being pretty much maxed out.
Other issue with this is that if you draw too much from there with that amp, you could blow the fuse protecting that circuit. Simple answer is to put a bigger fuse in to cover the old load + new right? No. Because then you can basically consider the previous things being supplied by that wire un protected.

I dont have an issue with tapping in for small supply needs like a back light for a boost gauge for instance but an amp is a big no no.
I dont doubt for one minute that the way you have done it isnt terminated correctly but i really would never wire it to there! Professional installs go straight to the battery for a reason. In fact, there are some cars out there that come straight from the factory with premium audio that have a external amp tucked away somewhere which is supplied straight from the battery!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which amp for these subs Moh 5 1,350 11-01-2014, 09:33 AM
Last Post: L.J