darrenjlobb's Project M-TDI Twin Turbo Supercharged Derv Bus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
darrenjlobb's Project M-TDI Twin Turbo Supercharged Derv Bus
This project is just epic Darren good work. What sort of hose do I need to get for the custom oil lines? I am looking at getting an oil cooler and want to know how to make up the lines for it using the an connectors. Any advice?
Thanks given by:
Any updates on this lately Darren? Have you been able to start tuning it properly yet? Smile
Thanks given by:
Well times have been a bit busy just recently on the farm with harvest and what not, so progress has been very slow / non existent with the bus just recently, but small things have been going on / some big changes taking place!

I've been having an issue with the manifold / turbos melting the reverse cable, which with a gti'6 box, can lead to some VERY embarrassing situations in the local village of meva with single row streets, and no reverse....your imagination can do the rest...long story short, 2 way traffic jam, oiley haze passing down the street, racket coming from hunting DI motor running plenty of timing, and me looking like a right idiot getting out asking for a push wearing a Deere boiler suit and covered in WMO!

The melted section of cable (plastic inner layer fused with plastic lining on steel cable!):

[Image: IMAG0640.jpg]

So after having a good hard think about it, there were two options, A was to bodge it, and have bit of fencing wire thro the bulkhead that you simply yank on to use reverse, simple, effective, and would do the job....but messy / just not going to happen...So came up with something a little more interesting involving a boot popper, some wiring, a relay, and a switch! Basically ended up mounting the solenoid well away from the head, and then with clear line of site, a single solid steel wire back to the tranny, with a oem switch in the right hand trim area which you can activate with your right hand while dropping the tranny into reverse with left hand as normal, works like a charm, and shouldn't suffer from heat issues! Also means I can loose the spasticated gti6 gearlever that feels the need to be half a meter up into the cabin?!

Picture of the solenoid semi in position:

[Image: IMAG0641.jpg]

As tuning is now under way, some teething problems have become apparent, and need dealing with....The original plan was to run the two turbos sequentially, and then compound with the supercharger to long term give me some decent pressure / flow to work with... But after being on the road a few weeks with the VNT, its become very apparent that the supercharger is really just not needed anymore, and being one of the most problematic / un reliable components, other than the noise, im more than happy to see it go!

So I made the decision to sack off the charger, and then run the blowers in compound instead, midrange torque / daily driveability is all good fun, but after a couple weeks it soon gets boring, and its never what the cars been about, so chronic top end boost wins for me anyway!

Long term the VNT is really a little small for the compound arrangement I have going on here, but will work for the time being with external gate allowing excess exhaust to bypass the VNT to save cooking it! but upgrading the smaller turbo is certainly on the books for the future.

But anyway for now, it was time to go ahead and plumb it up / remove all the bypass valves (that took ages to make / get working!!) and simplify things a bit, as well as at the same time inverting the gas flow through the intercooler, and relocating the oil cooler to somewhere it didnt look to tragic!

This is the arrangement I've ended up coming up with, again as normal, its a constant fight with making it physically fit under the bonnet, and perform the job in hand without rubbing / fouling anything else!

[Image: IMAG0647.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0653.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0651.jpg]

There are many other things I've no doubt forgot to mension / photograph, but I think that's covered some of it!

The next big thing is really going to be a case of beefing up the head, as the stock head is fitted with valve springs that float at a mere 35psi of boost (hence my serious limitation right now) and also very restrictive exhaust ports...so lots to get busy with!

Thanks for reading Smile

(27-07-2012, 06:47 AM)RadiationBeta Wrote: This project is just epic Darren good work. What sort of hose do I need to get for the custom oil lines? I am looking at getting an oil cooler and want to know how to make up the lines for it using the an connectors. Any advice?

Thanks Smile

If you take a look here:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Torques-U-K/AN-...34.c0.m322

The main thing is you need to use the right size hose for the fittings, but provided you do that, you cant go wrong, and can get fittings for just about anything, also worth noting there are other sellers selling the same things cheaper if you spend time searching!

(30-07-2012, 09:43 PM)Scott Wrote: Any updates on this lately Darren? Have you been able to start tuning it properly yet? Smile

Maybe Wink
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
WOW speachless just errrmmm WOW
Thanks given by:
Good to see it making progress mate.

Dosent look right without the supercharger thought.

IMO a bigger charger and sack off the VNT would be more win and wouldnt loose the epic noise.
Thanks given by:
Erm tell us what came from the Yanks already please ta xx
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(26-08-2012, 05:36 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Good to see it making progress mate.

Dosent look right without the supercharger thought.

IMO a bigger charger and sack off the VNT would be more win and wouldnt loose the epic noise.

I agree it dosnt look right, but god damn it makes changing the oil filter easier!!

It sounds utter pants without it as well, used to turn every single head, now sounds like a broken transit van, oh well, little do they know hehe!

Trouble with the chargers, is there is so much to go wrong...belt issues, heat issues, and eaton chargers just destroy themselves constantly when there overcompressing air at 60pounds, its just a constant problem, so im glad to see the back of it on that front... gutting though as it was what made it unique I guess, but oh well!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Looking good chap Smile id like to see this in the flesh Smile
[Image: fe6eddc8-1731-4100-a5fe-1edb853a88b6_zpseeacf928.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Pity about the supercharger but if it's a lot of hassle without significant gains then I see why you've done it, pity though. Will it affect top end power much do you reckon?

By the way, I'm coming down to Cornwall next week, could maybe nip down? If you'll allow a 1.2 Corsa rentacar on your property lol
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
(26-08-2012, 07:17 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Pity about the supercharger but if it's a lot of hassle without significant gains then I see why you've done it, pity though. Will it affect top end power much do you reckon?

By the way, I'm coming down to Cornwall next week, could maybe nip down? If you'll allow a 1.2 Corsa rentacar on your property lol

Of course, if its sunny ill be busy cutting corn, but if its wet head on over and say hi, the cars in bits as normal, but your welcome to have a look / see the little shed its built in lol!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
(26-08-2012, 07:56 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote:
(26-08-2012, 07:17 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Pity about the supercharger but if it's a lot of hassle without significant gains then I see why you've done it, pity though. Will it affect top end power much do you reckon?

Of course, if its sunny ill be busy cutting corn, but if its wet head on over and say hi, the cars in bits as normal, but your welcome to have a look / see the little shed its built in lol!

Will do bud, I expect it probably will be quite wet so should be fine. Would have liked to turn up in my Bosched XRDT but the rad exploded on Friday and the rad Kyle gave me wont fit so I had to order a new one off eBay. Won't be here by Saturday so I've rented a 1.2 Corsa, and I'm gonna do the rad when I get home Friday Smile
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
a mere 35 psi of boost o_O blimey.....

so define chronic boost? lol epic project, lots of shinyness too Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Despite the current restriction of air / boost, as the car stood, with everything maxed out, the injectors could only really move enough fuel for 140-150hp at most, which although was all very well and good to run it in, was really starting to get rather boring by this point, so it was time to start playing...

I have already built a VE pump capable of moving some fairly serious ammounts of fuel, which on an IDI would be all I needed due to the nozzles being so free flowing as stock...but with DI, its a very different kettle of fish, which nozzles in the injectors always being the next big fueling restriction, so I needed to find / modify some to fit!

A few emails / phone calls later, and a 3 weeks wait all the way from Texas USA, these turned up at my door:

[Image: IMG-20120826-WA0000.jpg]

So after some brief prayers for the poor DW10, it was time to make them fit...as with everything in this build, its not just a case of bolting them in, despite being fairly custom made anyway, they simply dont fit my current nozzle holders without "modifications", so, out with the grinder on one of the most precision parts of the entire injection system....

[Image: IMG-20120827-WA0000.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20120827-WA0001.jpg]

Then was time to test them / shim up the springs to get them popping off at the correct pressure, notice the rather chronic amount of fuel exiting the nozzle!!!

[Image: newnozzles.jpg]

So for all the people wondering, that's what the delivery from the states was all about!

Now we need more air, badly!!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Ha ha fair play you fecking loon!! What you going to do about air
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
nutjob o_O

how much fuel are those injectors rated to?
Thanks given by:
I know the word epic gets chucked around a lot but this build truly is. Hat off sir!

As said shame about the charger but if its causing more issues than its worth I see why you sacked it off. Without it has your idle gone to cock due to the c/r?
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Idle is ok once its warmed up, its acaully suprising how much air the vnt puts out at idle, less than a psi, but its enough extra air to make complete burn...
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Loving the work Darren!! Cant wait to see this once your tuned up and stuff, keep up the epic creations Smile
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Looking amazing as always, keep up the good work!
Thanks given by:
Great to see some updates Darren, can't wait to see you pushing this to its limits!
Thanks given by:
That is a pretty epic amount of fuel, loving its testing on cherryade
Thanks given by:
Would love to take a trip down to Cornwall just to see this! only a 4 hour drive in the most unreliable Dturbo I've ever come across -_-
MG ZR TD+ - gone and easily forgotten
Fabia vRS PD130 - New daily
Astra H VXR - new toy!
Thanks given by:
Disappointed, was genuinely thinking it would be a Cummins over especially when you said bye bye HDI lol

Epic work though mate, really jealous of what you get up to.
Thanks given by:
safety first haha freckin good looking engin man
Thanks given by:
(27-08-2012, 08:28 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: Disappointed, was genuinely thinking it would be a Cummins over especially when you said bye bye HDI lol

Epic work though mate, really jealous of what you get up to.

I think its pretty inevitable that ill end up sinking a 6bt in something eventually, but deffo not a 306 haha....

Jealous?! Come and join in!!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
S'all money mate. And one epic road trip. Don't worry, I'll be going chronic when funds allow. Need to make an engineering friend too...
Thanks given by:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tUfZlZ_p9o
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
epic as usual Smile
Thanks given by:
Waited a while for an update love sitting with cup of tea watching the build log Smile
Bye Bye D-Turbo
Phase 1 GTi-6 now has a new owner
Rolling in the: Phase 3 HDI Wagon

The current estate project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-22237.html
Thanks given by:
Absolutly mental car mate!!! Will watch this thread from now on..
GUMBALL3000's MOODY 306D TURBO PHASE-1 WORK IN PROGRESS
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Peugeot 309 d turbo project adampug 30 12,892 04-12-2016, 10:03 AM
Last Post: adampug
  Project Facelift Berlingo D Turbo Jamieh2013 11 5,456 21-03-2015, 05:01 PM
Last Post: Jamieh2013
  chris_90 106 derv project xsi rep, turbo NAD ;) Chris_90 428 187,565 06-04-2014, 11:50 PM
Last Post: Danny2009