darrenjlobb's Project M-TDI Twin Turbo Supercharged Derv Bus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
darrenjlobb's Project M-TDI Twin Turbo Supercharged Derv Bus
Well.....better get this thread up to date for any new users, but for all the long timers, most of this is old news....

Bought the car as a standard black ph1 D Turbo 3-4 years ago, with a blown head gasket, fooked rear beam and knackered clutch....

Started off something a little like this (was pre chavified)

[Image: beautifulcar001.jpg]

Then came alot of tuning....which would take pages to explain, but basically engine 1 suffered a conrod failure, engine two made 213hp, and then suffered a conrod failure, engine 3 was forged up, compound blown with a charger / turbo and never got it on the dyno for a real power run, but was certainly up in the 200+ zone, but sadly cooked the head....

Some pictures of it at its best with the XUD motor in it:

[Image: DSC04613.jpg]

[Image: DSC04517.jpg]

[Image: DSC04605.jpg]

[Image: DSC04497.jpg]

[Image: DSC04482.jpg]

And some pictures of things that I guess didn't go quite so well...

[Image: DSC00556.jpg]

[Image: DSC05379.jpg]

[Image: DSC05377.jpg]

[Image: DSC05381.jpg]

[Image: DSC05375.jpg]

And some random build pictures from over the years:

[Image: IMAGE_179.jpg]

[Image: P1000069.jpg]

[Image: IMAGE_364.jpg]

[Image: IMAGE_009.jpg]

[Image: PIC_0072.jpg]

But after the third engine, I decided it was time to let the XUD rest in peace...for now anyway, and move onto something new....Ive realised there is so much potential in the motor, but the inefficients of IDI were starting to cause me problem, mainly just the severe heat in the pre cups....Work to the cups would no doubt result in more power...but I had to draw the line at some point, as every extra HP at this point was costing to much money and being to unreliable...

So that's it for the XUD.....
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
wow that really did blow!!
looking forwardtoseeing whats new
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
After blowing up 3 XUDS in less than 2 years, I made the decision to move on, despite never running a full power run, I just couldn't justify rebuilding it, just to get some figures, so its something we will never know, but oh well, who cares, its only numbers Smile Ended up cooking the head, really just starting to hit limits of pre cups and other bits, all of which with more time and money, could have been ported out / modified etc, and quite probably made more power, but with engines running coming up for 3x stock power, problems are always around the next bend, quite literally...So decided it was time to move on....

To a petrol......

Ok, That was a lie, but you most likely already knew that Smile

Decided I wanted to start playing with DI, the XUD is IDI, and as much as I love it, its inefficiancys were really starting to catch me out, mainly heat...from the head....So figured DI was the way forwards, or at least, until Ive tried it, ill never know, which means ive gotta try it, or else ill always be pissed off not knowing.

Spent a good month debating weather to bite the bullet and risk putting an ECU in my car, or sack it off, and try to convert a hdi to mech injection....Well after the first week, I had a HDI ecu on the bench, and a map on the computer, and although could see the potential, very quickly realised, that you need to have ALOT of time on your hands (alot of respect to the guys like TB that have spent the time testing outputs / features etc) to be able to tune these past "stage 1" levels, as so many things come into the equation, and I could relie on someone else to be in charge of such a critical (fuelling) part of the car....so as quickly as the ecu arrived, it departed, in the bin.

[Image: IMAG0134.jpg]

So that was that decision made, wanted to build an M-TDI dw10.....

Idea is initially, to be fueled by a VE (so much simpler to keep this legal / smoke free and driveable etcetc) with custom home brew mech injectors and to retain the old compound supercharger setup, due to its positive effect with keeping big turbos right in there efficiency, and the ability to build chronic boost levels, which lets face it, is obviously important... Wink

The biggest problem Ive always had with the VE however, is retaining 100% fuelling up in the RPMS, infact, anything over 4krpm, seems to have a serious effect on fuel output, meaning you can give it all the air you want, and its useless because you cant fuel it... Or when you do, the pump lasts about 5 minutes, and snaps a plunger / looses tolerance and becomes useless (like fcs)....So the plan is to be running a second VNT turbo, sequentially with the big one, to be "on boost" much earlier, and then switch over to the big turbo once its spooled up, which in theory will be much earlier due to much more exhaust heat / flow from much bigger combustion....So basically a sequential turbo set-up sat in front of a supercharger to compound its output...if that makes sence :S

Anyway, enough of the blarb, onto things that are going on at the moment...

Got the car dragged into the workshop after being sat outside for months, first thing was to get the turbos "jigged" into a position they would fit / be routeable before removing the engine, as once its out, you really have no idea where it will fit etc, so started by welding up a simple bracket that bolts to the head, and then to each of the turbos, and supports them in position) which would mean once engine was built and ready, the manifold can be made up out of the car without "preying" its gunna fit....or at least, reducing the risk somewhat!

Few pictures of that job in process:

[Image: IMAG0109.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0107.jpg]

So next job was to pull the old motor out:

(Sorry car, last polish, FCS , yup, oops!)

[Image: IMAG0127.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0124.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0133.jpg]

Note the most important tools are to the right and at the bottom of the shot here:

[Image: importanttools.jpg]

Stripped it to bare block:

[Image: IMAG0131.jpg]

Then to pull the sump to remove the conrods, (little scared at this point, preying to find them all straight and good!)

Anyway pull the sump, to be presented by an oil pickup full of crumbled ally / steel....Not good....On closer investigation, quickly noticed that a oil squirter had been knocked clean off...would appear I didnt allow enough clearance on the last build....all I can say is thank god the head let go, or id never have known, and most likely locked a little end up and bust a rod out the block, which would have been expensive!

[Image: IMAG0128.jpg]

Anyway, proceeded to pull the rods and pistons, and then spend 15 minutes with a clean rag (A very hard find around here) to clean them up, and thankfully find them in perfect condition, so that was a relief!

Almost look like new!

[Image: IMAG0126.jpg]

Thats pretty much it for now, have been working on injectors, having to use parts from several different injectors to make up the final correct length body / coupler / nozzle angle etc...

[Image: IMAG0130.jpg]

And the new HDI bottom end, havent really done much more other than strip it to bare bottom end so far, next step will be strip the block bare.

[Image: IMAG0129.jpg]

And a pile of random crap that was stripped out the way to get at the motor before removal!

[Image: IMAG0132.jpg]

Will try to video as much of the rebuild as I can,

Thanks for reading,

Smile
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
for a second then i actually thought you were moving onto a petrol.
new stuff is looking good mate
Thanks given by:
Going to be awesome fun Darren, as said *ahem, elsewhere..* I hope it goes well for you, im looking forward to seeing it running already...
Thanks given by:
Ha ha here we go again!!! Can't wait bud
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Love this car so much ! <3
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Cannot wait to see the progress on this mate, keep up the good work
Thanks given by:
Love this car, was awesome at FCS!
[Image: Untitled-1_zpsc57da38e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
as said before can't wait to see whats in store for this AWESOME project Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Pretty cool having a low down of the project!

Did you say you were wacking in a 'standard' XUD for a while as you built up the engine, so you had a run around?
1st - Diablo 306 1.9 N/A Diesel - Failed Gearbox
2nd - Diablo 306 1.9 N/A Diesel - At 225,000 miles the engine fell out
3rd - Diablo 306 Sedan 1.9 Turbo Diesel - Rust bucket
4th - Cherry Red 306 Sedan 1.9 Turbo Diesel - Crashed 6 days after buying, Bah!
Thanks given by:
FINALLY! Diesel projects are featured in the 'newposts'! This forum gets better and better!!! Big Grin

That looks fapping minty Darren! Can't wait to see more progress! Big Grin Keep us all updated with pics etc!
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
I love the fact, that it's not only the engines that are epic. The bodywork is excellent too. Can't wait to see the new engine once it's all running Big Grin

When's your deadline date dude, FCS 2012? Wink
Thanks given by:
twin turbo :dance: good luck with this all mate, no doubt it will all come together...
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Love this, cant wait to see updates on the new project Smile
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Epic as per usual, will be keeping a close eye on the progress 8-)
Thanks given by:
Heh, good to see you take on the M-Di challenge dude, itching to see progress on this already.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
**Removed**
Thanks given by:
Vw_are_better Wrote:**Removed**

yay first troll Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Looking good, was trying to read up on this myself recently but famous phil seems to of disappeared, best of luck with it darren Smile~
Thanks given by:
As always..this will be a great read..great photos too!
[Image: ocpic2.pg.jpg]
http://www.sanderson-brown.com
MrsMoonstone Wrote:Cats eyes get in the way of the racing line!
Moonstone HDi Phase 3- Scrapped Sad --- 1.6 Phase 2 - Scrapped Sad --- BMW 318is 1993 (Hyperventilates)
Thanks given by:
Well, bit of a tragic update, but have been driving a landrover TD5 around as a daily for the last 3 months, and god is it pissing me off...freezing cold in the winter, so uncomfy, drinks more fuel than your average oil fired bonfire does, and a robin reliant would out handle it....

So needed to get this back on the road for the time being, so have literally just dropped a stock XUD in it...it even has a lucas pump, and a cat in the downpipe! Gunna get an MOT booked up next week to get that out the way for 12 months, and then we can cheech!

Literally just bodged an engine together from random spares from like 12 donor blown motors!

It almost just looks wrong....

:

[Image: newmotor.jpg]

[Image: newmotorin.jpg]

1200whp im thinking?

Hopefully by end of Jan ill be looking at pulling it out again for a more interesting lump to replace it! Got a few busy months before then though!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
wow, so wrong lol.
Thanks given by:
Blasphemy!

Not even fiddled with the pump and wastegate?!?
1st - Diablo 306 1.9 N/A Diesel - Failed Gearbox
2nd - Diablo 306 1.9 N/A Diesel - At 225,000 miles the engine fell out
3rd - Diablo 306 Sedan 1.9 Turbo Diesel - Rust bucket
4th - Cherry Red 306 Sedan 1.9 Turbo Diesel - Crashed 6 days after buying, Bah!
Thanks given by:
That looks so wrong in your engine bay.

Doubt it wont be long till your craving power and start fiddling with this engine Smile
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
lucas??????????? :o
Thanks given by:
Didn't you know sweeney? according to 90% of the lads in my area bosch are shit and lucas are the good ones lol.
Thanks given by:
what the hell haha swear filter ftl!
Thanks given by:
yeah, swear filter for the lose, ah dont chat, boys over here think theyre the best too, more smok means more power :roll:
although a few are converting to the right side Smile
Thanks given by:
End of january lol

youll get bored in the week between christmas and new year
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Peugeot 309 d turbo project adampug 30 12,887 04-12-2016, 10:03 AM
Last Post: adampug
  Project Facelift Berlingo D Turbo Jamieh2013 11 5,448 21-03-2015, 05:01 PM
Last Post: Jamieh2013
  chris_90 106 derv project xsi rep, turbo NAD ;) Chris_90 428 187,507 06-04-2014, 11:50 PM
Last Post: Danny2009