Manual Fuel Primer & Steering Rack

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Manual Fuel Primer & Steering Rack
Hi all,

on my dturb, is it safe to remove the manual fuel primer, as mine leaks and want to get rid of it for now to save a fire and fuel lol (: ?

Also will a 1.4 subframe and steering rack fit a dturb as mine leaks quite severely at the minute and i prefer the feel of no power steering even if the car is heavier then a 1.4.
Thanks in advance,
Mike!
Thanks given by:
Swap the fuel primer for an Inline filter and I think the 1.4 racks are similar not too sure though
MG ZR TD+ - gone and easily forgotten
Fabia vRS PD130 - New daily
Astra H VXR - new toy!
Thanks given by:
fuel priming bulbs are about 6 quid from ebay, just buy another, not sure on the 1.4 rack though tbh . .Smile

(09-10-2012, 09:33 AM)Dicky Wrote: Swap the fuel primer for an Inline filter and I think the 1.4 racks are similar not too sure though

two different things mate ^^^^^^Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
The fuel pump primer i mentioned to remove all together to help with placement of pipes and general bay tidyness (always nice having a tidy bay to work on when things go wrong)
Given the hand primer has perished anyway removal was always a option, replacement would always be the easiest option but if Mike is going to have to spend to buy a new one its always nice to improve things..... If a filter is required then a inline filter shall be purchased and placed within a safe distance of the tank rather than in the bay, not sure how a filter would replace the primer though, they're different items?

The rack, given we have access too a 1.4 rack/subframe/hubs full running gear the question was worth asking. If someone could advise if they fit, obvoulsy it means removing the PAS setup which isent a problem.

EDIT: Im not sure what you mean by priming ''bulbs'' either Matt? Its the rubber manual primer on the offside engine mount Mike is referring too.
Thanks given by:
(09-10-2012, 09:40 AM)PUGMON Wrote: The fuel pump primer i mentioned to remove all together to help with placement of pipes and general bay tidyness (always nice having a tidy bay to work on when things go wrong)
Given the hand primer has perished anyway removal was always a option, replacement would always be the easiest option but if Mike is going to have to spend to buy a new one its always nice to improve things..... If a filter is required then a inline filter shall be purchased and placed within a safe distance of the tank rather than in the bay, not sure how a filter would replace the primer though, they're different items?

The rack, given we have access too a 1.4 rack/subframe/hubs full running gear the question was worth asking. If someone could advise if they fit, obvoulsy it means removing the PAS setup which isent a problem.

EDIT: Im not sure what you mean by priming ''bulbs'' either Matt? Its the rubber manual primer on the offside engine mount Mike is referring too.

Hi, i know what he's referring to and i don't mean to be rude but are you of non english origin? . . .as there seems to be a language barrier of some sort . . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(09-10-2012, 09:33 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: fuel priming bulbs are about 6 quid from ebay, just buy another, not sure on the 1.4 rack though tbh . .Smile

(09-10-2012, 09:33 AM)Dicky Wrote: Swap the fuel primer for an Inline filter and I think the 1.4 racks are similar not too sure though

two different things mate ^^^^^^Smile
My old dturbo didn't have the grenade, it had an inline filter there instead? :S
wasn't done by me just saying
MG ZR TD+ - gone and easily forgotten
Fabia vRS PD130 - New daily
Astra H VXR - new toy!
Thanks given by:
(09-10-2012, 10:00 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote:
(09-10-2012, 09:40 AM)PUGMON Wrote: The fuel pump primer i mentioned to remove all together to help with placement of pipes and general bay tidyness (always nice having a tidy bay to work on when things go wrong)

Hi, i know what he's referring to and i don't mean to be rude but are you of non english origin? . . .as there seems to be a language barrier of some sort . . .Smile
Naa im not from yorkshire, different country... northwest.... ;-) lol.
Sure we will work out the fuel ''bulb'' issues anyway. cheers. Ive seen a few on here with additional inline filters actually, shall look into replacement Sleepy
Thanks given by:
(09-10-2012, 10:18 AM)PUGMON Wrote:
(09-10-2012, 10:00 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote:

Naa im not from yorkshire, different coutry... northwest.... ;-) lol.
Sure we will work out the fuel ''bulb'' issues anyway. cheers Sleepy

right i'll spell it out for you to make it nice and simple since you're a Lanc hotpot . . .Big Grin . .link below

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-rubber-pri...3a73f3de8f
Thanks given by:
Dont get rid of the little hand primer there dead handy if you run out of diesel or change the diesel filter etc
Thanks given by:
(09-10-2012, 10:25 AM)Bananalad Wrote: Dont get rid of the little hand primer there dead handy if you run out of diesel or change the diesel filter etc

this, what you gonna do without? . . .Smile
Thanks given by:
(09-10-2012, 10:22 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote:
(09-10-2012, 10:18 AM)PUGMON Wrote:
(09-10-2012, 10:00 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: Hi, i know what he's referring to and i don't mean to be rude but are you of non english origin? . . .as there seems to be a language barrier of some sort . . .Smile
Naa im not from yorkshire, different coutry... northwest.... ;-) lol.
Sure we will work out the fuel ''bulb'' issues anyway. cheers Sleepy

right i'll spell it out for you to make it nice and simple since you're a Lanc hotpot . . .Big Grin . .link below

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-rubber-pri...3a73f3de8f
hahah, that makes sense now, ive never heard the wording of ''bulb'' Sleepy

As for priming, fill filter before fitting and hope ya battery is a good'un haha. sall good Big Grin Use to work on trucks and 75 percent of them started with a few revs and a full filter housing/filter after having a filter swop. 99 percent of cars that dont have them manage, one step towards a tidier bay then....

Subframe issue is the main one anywa tbh, rather not have to take two cars apart to find out it doesent work as well as hoped. Fuel primer is a easy one if it comes to refitting.
Thanks given by:
Subframe will fit but you dont need to change shafts and everything??
Thanks given by:
(09-10-2012, 10:35 AM)Bananalad Wrote: Subframe will fit but you dont need to change shafts and everything??
No, its mainly the steering rack, as mines leaking badly now. rather then spend money to sort it out, i have the easier option of putting my old 1.4s steering rack etc onto the dturb if it will fit. As im not a lover of power steering anyway i wouldnt mind getting rid of it! so its kinda like 2 birds 1 stone if the 1.4s stuff will fit.
Thanks given by:
I put the whole subframe out of a 1.4 into a dturbo but it had power steering so i dont know about yours..
Thanks given by:
Only one way to find out..... Least when the 1.4 dies i get its front end for my ZX w00p
Thanks given by:
Are the bottom mounts not in different places between the TU and XU?
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:
(09-10-2012, 11:46 AM)HDIkyle Wrote: Are the bottom mounts not in different places between the TU and XU?
Errr, i presume that isent aimed at either OP or me... as tbh, if we knew this we wouldnt be asking im sure lol.

Either way, engine mounts arent a issue if it means we have to keep the derv frame. Its the rack thats the issue anyway, if the 1.4 steering rack fits either the derv frame or the whole 1.4 setup fits thats fine.
Thanks given by:
Yea the main question is, 'will the 1.4 steering rack fit directly onto the dt'
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Xud9 White smoke and primer wont stay hard Donny165 5 2,588 13-07-2020, 12:22 AM
Last Post: ekjdm14
  Hand primer sucking flat Chris_90 18 5,974 01-11-2014, 10:25 PM
Last Post: Dave
  Primer bulb sucked in and wont return?! 306 d turbo 1 1,735 27-03-2013, 09:18 PM
Last Post: cully