Drop Links

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drop Links
Right, the knocking has become unbearable, so I'm replacing these before I go back to uni!!

So, ideally I'd like rose jointed jobbies, but seeing as I leave in a week I'm guessing that's unlikely!

I've heard that the plastic ones are better, as they don't just bend permanently like the metal ones, but which ones do I go for? Will eBay ones die in a couple weeks, or is it worth just getting them until I source rose-jointed ones?

Orrr, with the 25% off ECP code shall I shell out the £40 for lemforder ones?

Ta.
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
Get the Lemforders if you want 'em to last, sure someone will take 'em off you hands if they haven't done much when you want to shift 'em.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
They are good and with the 25% discount even better, I've a cheap £10 set from eBay and too be fair can't fault them
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Lemforders it is then, this shall be an expensive day lol
Thanks given by:
from experience, everyday usauge plastic drop links/rose links make not much differnce, unless your chucking into corners with an uprated/gti ARB the links dont make THAT much of a difference...
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
I have got a '6 ARB on it Smile I'm more concerned with longevity to be honest, but I've ordered the Lemforders now anyway Smile
Thanks given by:
Chuffing seized to buggery, time to break out the WD40!
Thanks given by:
Kezzieboy Wrote:Chuffing seized to buggery, time to break out the WD40!
just grind them off !!
Thanks given by:
mine got ground off.. and i replaced with the metal ones.. if they bend they bend, but ive snapped 3 sets of plastic ones now, so at least if they bend they'll stay intact
Thanks given by:
But a bent one is worse for the suspension geometry than a snapped one I would imagine!

And I don't have a grinder lol, so that's that idea out the window.
Thanks given by:
Depends how low you are. If your snapping plastic ones on standard height, you have a problem somewhere! If your lowerd probably about 50mm + then you would be better off with rose jointed ones.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I have had no problem with the plastic ones at all and mine isn't exactly a 4x4..................

If you are snapping them all the time then something is properly broken!
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
Right, all 4 nuts are now loose, but just happily spinning the ball joint lol, so I'm gonna have to get my hands on a grinder!
Thanks given by:
Just get some mole grips or pipe grips on the bit thats spinning? Just clamp down on the rubbery boot and it'l hold that side of the threaded section still, then wind the nut off with a ratchet in your other hand! Smile
Thanks given by:
I had to hacksaw my mates of as we didnt have a grinder at the time lol
Vehicle repair and servicing in the midlands pm for details 

Current cars
Subaru Impreza 2.0d - Daily
306 1.8 - track whore soon to be GTI6
Thanks given by:
On both my Dturbos, when I've replaced plastic droplinks, its because they've been snapped... and there wasn't anything else.wrong with the suspension on either of them
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
If your spinning the ball joint use a pry bar to pop the drop link off its ball joint as most of them have 2 flats you can get an adjustable spanner on and then the socket on the nut and youll undo them without grinding. It just takes a little longer.
Thanks given by:
I just do the mole grip method..
PH1 306 XUD - 11mm VE, Big 'bine, TMIC = Plenty of coal, abuse, heatsoak and a power band of 4.3k - 6k = One shagged car.
[Image: sig2.png]
Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:I have had no problem with the plastic ones at all and mine isn't exactly a 4x4..................

If you are snapping them all the time then something is properly broken!
hooning around lanes, and autotesting..

although one snapped midway during an autotest and the car got much easier to handle lol
Thanks given by:
lh_4827 Wrote:hooning around lanes, and autotesting..

although one snapped midway during an autotest and the car got much easier to handle lol

Well that's slightly different with the auto testing lol I think you may require some rose jointed adjustable ones in that case!
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
Check the arb is free to move once the links are off, and isn't binding in the bushes, that accelerates drop link wear.
Bit of moly grease in the bushes never hurts either.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
I remember reading that drop links off one of the xsaras are slightly shorter, ie ideal for lowered cars, but can't remember which model, anyone know? My memory's trying to tell me it was the picasso, but i'm not sure i believe it...
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Phew done, my hands will never be clean again, significant quantities of my blood and skin are still in my wheelarches, I swore more than I ever have before, but they're done!

What's left of the old ones:

[Image: IMAG0237.jpg]

And ta dahhhh

[Image: IMAG0236.jpg]
Thanks given by:
What a fanny, you dont need to take the wheel off to change drop links...
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
Thanks given by:
Connor Wrote:What a fanny, you dont need to take the wheel off to change drop links...

You underestimate my mechanical incompetence, and how farrkin' seized it all was.
Thanks given by:
Wheel up, full lock, jobs a good un!
Thanks given by:
You put them on the wrong way around! Looks like you'll need to take them off and start again.

whistle
Thanks given by:
Scott Wrote:You put them on the wrong way around! Looks like you'll need to take them off and start again.

whistle

There easy to take off until about 6 months down the line!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Lol I know mate, I just thought I'd scare him for a minute Wink
Thanks given by:
For a second you scared me. I thought "fook mine are on that way round!!"

FYC!!!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post