306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
Drop Links - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: 306 Repairs & Mods (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Forum: Suspension, Transmission, Handling & Braking (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Drop Links (/showthread.php?tid=667)

Pages: 1 2

Drop Links - Kezzieboy - 30-12-2011

Right, the knocking has become unbearable, so I'm replacing these before I go back to uni!!

So, ideally I'd like rose jointed jobbies, but seeing as I leave in a week I'm guessing that's unlikely!

I've heard that the plastic ones are better, as they don't just bend permanently like the metal ones, but which ones do I go for? Will eBay ones die in a couple weeks, or is it worth just getting them until I source rose-jointed ones?

Orrr, with the 25% off ECP code shall I shell out the £40 for lemforder ones?

Ta.

Re: Drop Links - Rippthrough - 30-12-2011

Get the Lemforders if you want 'em to last, sure someone will take 'em off you hands if they haven't done much when you want to shift 'em.

Drop Links - Matt - 30-12-2011

They are good and with the 25% discount even better, I've a cheap £10 set from eBay and too be fair can't fault them

Re: Drop Links - Kezzieboy - 30-12-2011

Lemforders it is then, this shall be an expensive day lol

Re: Drop Links - ginge191 - 30-12-2011

from experience, everyday usauge plastic drop links/rose links make not much differnce, unless your chucking into corners with an uprated/gti ARB the links dont make THAT much of a difference...

Re: Drop Links - Kezzieboy - 30-12-2011

I have got a '6 ARB on it Smile I'm more concerned with longevity to be honest, but I've ordered the Lemforders now anyway Smile

Re: Drop Links - Kezzieboy - 03-01-2012

Chuffing seized to buggery, time to break out the WD40!

Re: Drop Links - pistolpete - 03-01-2012

Kezzieboy Wrote:Chuffing seized to buggery, time to break out the WD40!
just grind them off !!

Re: Drop Links - lh_4827 - 03-01-2012

mine got ground off.. and i replaced with the metal ones.. if they bend they bend, but ive snapped 3 sets of plastic ones now, so at least if they bend they'll stay intact

Re: Drop Links - Kezzieboy - 03-01-2012

But a bent one is worse for the suspension geometry than a snapped one I would imagine!

And I don't have a grinder lol, so that's that idea out the window.

Re: Drop Links - Niall - 03-01-2012

Depends how low you are. If your snapping plastic ones on standard height, you have a problem somewhere! If your lowerd probably about 50mm + then you would be better off with rose jointed ones.

Re: Drop Links - mark_airey - 03-01-2012

I have had no problem with the plastic ones at all and mine isn't exactly a 4x4..................

If you are snapping them all the time then something is properly broken!

Re: Drop Links - Kezzieboy - 04-01-2012

Right, all 4 nuts are now loose, but just happily spinning the ball joint lol, so I'm gonna have to get my hands on a grinder!

Re: Drop Links - Dan! - 04-01-2012

Just get some mole grips or pipe grips on the bit thats spinning? Just clamp down on the rubbery boot and it'l hold that side of the threaded section still, then wind the nut off with a ratchet in your other hand! Smile

Re: Drop Links - td_dan - 04-01-2012

I had to hacksaw my mates of as we didnt have a grinder at the time lol

Re: Drop Links - Connor - 04-01-2012

On both my Dturbos, when I've replaced plastic droplinks, its because they've been snapped... and there wasn't anything else.wrong with the suspension on either of them

Re: Drop Links - Dum-Dum - 04-01-2012

If your spinning the ball joint use a pry bar to pop the drop link off its ball joint as most of them have 2 flats you can get an adjustable spanner on and then the socket on the nut and youll undo them without grinding. It just takes a little longer.

Re: Drop Links - Matty - 04-01-2012

I just do the mole grip method..

Re: Drop Links - lh_4827 - 04-01-2012

mark_airey Wrote:I have had no problem with the plastic ones at all and mine isn't exactly a 4x4..................

If you are snapping them all the time then something is properly broken!
hooning around lanes, and autotesting..

although one snapped midway during an autotest and the car got much easier to handle lol

Re: Drop Links - mark_airey - 04-01-2012

lh_4827 Wrote:hooning around lanes, and autotesting..

although one snapped midway during an autotest and the car got much easier to handle lol

Well that's slightly different with the auto testing lol I think you may require some rose jointed adjustable ones in that case!

Re: Drop Links - Rippthrough - 04-01-2012

Check the arb is free to move once the links are off, and isn't binding in the bushes, that accelerates drop link wear.
Bit of moly grease in the bushes never hurts either.

Re: Drop Links - Poodle - 05-01-2012

I remember reading that drop links off one of the xsaras are slightly shorter, ie ideal for lowered cars, but can't remember which model, anyone know? My memory's trying to tell me it was the picasso, but i'm not sure i believe it...

Re: Drop Links - Kezzieboy - 05-01-2012

Phew done, my hands will never be clean again, significant quantities of my blood and skin are still in my wheelarches, I swore more than I ever have before, but they're done!

What's left of the old ones:

[Image: IMAG0237.jpg]

And ta dahhhh

[Image: IMAG0236.jpg]

Re: Drop Links - Connor - 05-01-2012

What a fanny, you dont need to take the wheel off to change drop links...

Re: Drop Links - Kezzieboy - 05-01-2012

Connor Wrote:What a fanny, you dont need to take the wheel off to change drop links...

You underestimate my mechanical incompetence, and how farrkin' seized it all was.

Re: Drop Links - Connor - 05-01-2012

Wheel up, full lock, jobs a good un!

Re: Drop Links - Scott - 05-01-2012

You put them on the wrong way around! Looks like you'll need to take them off and start again.

whistle

Re: Drop Links - Niall - 05-01-2012

Scott Wrote:You put them on the wrong way around! Looks like you'll need to take them off and start again.

whistle

There easy to take off until about 6 months down the line!

Re: Drop Links - Scott - 05-01-2012

Lol I know mate, I just thought I'd scare him for a minute Wink

Re: Drop Links - Niall - 05-01-2012

For a second you scared me. I thought "fook mine are on that way round!!"

FYC!!!