laptop upgrade time...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
laptop upgrade time...
as fooby listed he had put an SSD in this latest pc build so i had a quick look at prices and found one that justifies the price per gig that i could buy in store, went for an OCZ vtxplr2-25sat2-240g.

cloned the HDD to the SSD and did some comparison videos of using the HDD vs SSD

the tape on the screen is to hide my email as the videos are public on youtube

Pre SSD upgrade boot time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNBB_fyOL9k

Post SSD upgrade bot time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvooKZPDf3U

as you can see its silly quick at booting now. i left it until msn loaded as thats usually when the drive activity goes to a minium
Thanks given by:
thats a massive difference. When i built my big i7 rig i had 3x500GB HDDs and it was pretty fast but i got a SSD for good measure anyway and didnt see much difference personally although i know there is a massive difference i just never noticed!
Thanks given by:
Havent even had my laptop a month and ive just ordered a 8gb ram kit. Very tempted by a SSD. How much was yours and how big is it?
Crucial have got a 512gb drive for £300 but dont think ill ever use that much. Might bung a 256gb in and just use cloud/network storage for stuff i dont use often
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Installed an ssd and wouldn't go back, also got rid of my optical drive and retained the old hard drive for maximum storage Wink 16gb ram ftw
Thanks given by:
(29-09-2012, 06:01 PM)Niall Wrote: Havent even had my laptop a month and ive just ordered a 8gb ram kit. Very tempted by a SSD. How much was yours and how big is it?
Crucial have got a 512gb drive for £300 but dont think ill ever use that much. Might bung a 256gb in and just use cloud/network storage for stuff i dont use often
You'd probably be better off with a 256GB drive, or even a 120GB SSD if you wanted to save some cash. SSDs potentially have a more limited lifespan due to having a finite number of read/write cycles (time-frame depends on your particular usage), so it's important to keep important data such as documents and photos etc. on a mechanical drive
Thanks given by:
i'll be backing it all up every month or so as good measure as scott said they do have a limited numer of R/W cycles but on average they last around 5 years of normal use. i got mine from maplin, its a 240GB and cost £150 http://www.maplin.co.uk/240gb-ocz-vertex...ssd-635894 . theres a SATA III version but its a tenner more and my laptop is SATA II so no point getting the quicker one for my application. you can get hybrid SSD drives too as my dad was looking at them.

comes with a sticker too
[Image: ssd2.jpg]
Thanks given by:
the lifetime cycles thing doesnt really apply anymore btw, it used too on earlier SSD's but will never happy now (although technically can, its some stupid amount of time)
Team - Inappropriate Footwear. Member 1 of 3.

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)
3. Fooby's Company Pool Car

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
(29-09-2012, 06:57 PM)Scott Wrote:
(29-09-2012, 06:01 PM)Niall Wrote: Havent even had my laptop a month and ive just ordered a 8gb ram kit. Very tempted by a SSD. How much was yours and how big is it?
You'd probably be better off with a 256GB drive, or even a 120GB SSD if you wanted to save some cash. SSDs potentially have a more limited lifespan due to having a finite number of read/write cycles (time-frame depends on your particular usage), so it's important to keep important data such as documents and photos etc. on a mechanical drive

Not really an issue. My laptop backup runs every hour so the most I could loose is an hours work
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Laptop memory upgrade DeeTurbo 12 2,465 06-11-2015, 11:42 AM
Last Post: DeeTurbo
  Hammer time ... no wait MOT time, err same thing! Megamonkey 13 13,499 19-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Last Post: Megamonkey