Clarke OBDII Fault Code Reader

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clarke OBDII Fault Code Reader
Does anyone else have one of these?

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produc...ode+reader

I knew it was gonna a 'cheap and cheerful' peice of equipment when I bought it, but really only wanted to check and delete fault codes.....seeing as thats its sole purpose I imagined it'd work well...but....

It read the codes onthe HDi fine, but its not clearing them, it says 'fault cleared' then I recheck and the same codes are there, without even unplugging the thing or turning the ignition off, surely that can't be right?

So I tried it on the Golf -

[Image: ClarkeCodeReader012.jpg]

O RLY?????

[Image: ClarkeCodeReader011.jpg]

I'd imagine theres at least one generic code stored on there atm haha!

So anyway, yeah, does anyone else have one?? Same problems??

Cheers
Tom
Thanks given by:
None of them lights would bring up a generic code. VW shite code maybe.

If its not clearing, theres still a fault there. Intermittent fault codes will clear and normally come back on next start but permanent codes come straight back until there fixed.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I have a generic code reader from eBay.

On a mates Micra they wouldn't delete immediately. It would say successful, but it wasn't.

Without turning the ignition back on, I would have to re-scan and delete codes again (effectively twice) and then this cleared the engine light.

Perhaps it's similar on your car? Worth a try anyway.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Thought that may be the case so I done it 3 times in a row Chris.

Then disconnected the battery for 20 mins and tried again.

Still no change. Sad
Thanks given by:
Ah ok.

That settles it then.

Your car is definitely f*cked.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
Thanks given by:
(27-09-2012, 03:36 PM)Niall Wrote: None of them lights would bring up a generic code. VW shite code maybe.

If its not clearing, theres still a fault there. Intermittent fault codes will clear and normally come back on next start but permanent codes come straight back until there fixed.

The engine management light is on there Niall!! Its the same as the ESP light (its on becase I took the map sensor out last night), the glow plug light is flashing and it says engine workshop on the dash, thats either the brake light switch again or a serious 'f*cked cam' fault lol..........either way, I'm pretty sure there should be a fault there lol.

Also, how can there be a permanent code of crank position sensor? Without the flywheel turning it wont get a reading until next start anyway surely? Or am I confusing myself here?

(27-09-2012, 03:39 PM)c.a.r. Wrote: Your car is definitely f*cked.

Sams car is f*cked you mean. Wink
Thanks given by:
If the CPS has gone short circuit then it will log a permanent fault. Its easy to test the cps. Take it out, put a multimeter on the pins and set it to AC voltage and then run something metal over the end of the cps and see if you get a reading.

and tom the cars not running so some codes wont log. Put a 306 onto ph2 ignition and the EML is on but doesnt register any faults.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(27-09-2012, 03:50 PM)Niall Wrote: If the CPS has gone short circuit then it will log a permanent fault. Its easy to test the cps. Take it out, put a multimeter on the pins and set it to AC voltage and then run something metal over the end of the cps and see if you get a reading.

and tom the cars not running so some codes wont log. Put a 306 onto ph2 ignition and the EML is on but doesnt register any faults.

Just so we don't get get confused, CPS is cam position sensor, CKP is crank position sensor.....I get confused easy enough as it is haha! Tongue

I'm taking the airbox out tomorow so I'll check the CKP while I'm there.

And the Golf was running, the lights didnt come on until I drove it round from the garden to the drive with no map, no maf, no intake, no exhaust etc etc lol...
Thanks given by:
Cam position sensor should work the same way as far as im aware.
and its not running in that photo!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
The 306 isnt running when I checked either, just ignition on. Confused

I've always checked codes with engine off, same at college with the Solus........cant quite afford one of them though lol.
Thanks given by:
its cheap shit then!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I know that, but I thought it would atleast do it's primary function lol!
Thanks given by:
ive got the remap cables and software in a filing cabinet in my shed tom. Doesnt that check codes too?
Thanks given by:
Nah galletto is only for mapping mate, I have one here as well lol.
Thanks given by:
i believe the cps and ckps have a break off lug that sets the air gap on the sensor to pickup,
i wouldnt disturb the fixing as this could open a bigger can of worms.
try to test them insitu Wink
Thanks given by:
(27-09-2012, 04:56 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Nah galletto is only for mapping mate, I have one here as well lol.

is elm127 a standard or is that the cables i have D: pretty sure it does the correct OBD checking too!
Thanks given by:
ELM327 is the generic connector you want for code reading, you will also need software to match.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(29-09-2012, 02:36 PM)Poodle Wrote: ELM327 is the generic connector you want for code reading, you will also need software to match.

yh tom ive got all of this! ive got the connector and the software on CD sitting in a filing cabinet in my shed!
Thanks given by:
Right...I'm heading to ufford on Monday then. Wink. Don't suppose the working rcl key is at yours too?
Thanks given by:
(29-09-2012, 05:31 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Right...I'm heading to ufford on Monday then. Wink. Don't suppose the working rcl key is at yours too?

nope its in my door card pocket with me here in liverpool!
Thanks given by:
Oh right haha
Thanks given by:
Right....can someone confirm as I have no idea about ELM..............but this isn't it is it!? Just looks like Galletto to me!? Confused

[Image: EsyateService014.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Certainly does Tom.......the word Galetto on one of the discs is a bit of a give away mateWink
Thanks given by:
Thats exactly what I thought...and the '1260' on the lead....but people keep telling me they look the same so I'm confused.....I already have a galetto!
Thanks given by:
now you have two D:
Thanks given by:
(01-10-2012, 10:45 PM)SRowell Wrote: now you have two D:

Lol, thats true! Confused

It's ok, I'll stick it in the 'box of Sams crap' in the garage lol.....along with those shocks/fan/FMIC bits that were all still in the car when I picked it up lol.

BUT back on topic.....whats the cheapest, or should I say best value, way of reading and removing these codes before MOT next week!? Undecided
Thanks given by:
You are welcome to try my code reader, but chances are the same thing will happen.

Have you left the battery disconnected overnight?
Thanks given by:
Not overnight but I left it for about 3 hours the other day, that should be long enough to clear it I'd have thought!
Thanks given by:
C'mon guys.....what can I do about this....??? Sad
Thanks given by:
drive down here and i will put it on my PP Big Grin
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Peugeot Fault code Welshy_Pete 8 2,186 09-08-2017, 08:09 AM
Last Post: Poodle
  Glow plug fault code? JTaylor2005 2 1,256 22-05-2016, 12:22 PM
Last Post: JTaylor2005
  Ecu reader with map on it to delete lights MIKE-FORD 0 866 05-04-2014, 10:20 PM
Last Post: MIKE-FORD