Newer Cars!?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newer Cars!?
Tom I don't think you need reminding that should you own a diesel car and it goes wrong again you won't be able to afford to fix it?!

A petrol car (much like the Yamaha 1.25-equipped Fiesta) is much, much less complicated and much, much more reliable. What you spend extra in fuel you will save on servicing and repairs, I guarrantee it.

Try slinging some rates into this calculator online. And be honest. - True Cost of Running a Car
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
(11-09-2012, 09:54 AM)puglove Wrote: Here you go tom, problem solved, low mileage , S/H , reliable engine, loads of MPG ETC and alot cheaper

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-X-Peugeot...v4exp=true

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-Xsara-...v4exp=true

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-PEUGEOT-2...v4exp=true

But they're all miles away ans now we get back to the distance problem, I can only have whats local until I can sort things out.
Thanks given by:
It's not buying the car, it's repairing them as my dad always says. When I went to buy my first car I had £2k to spend so I bought a £900 car that gave me plently of repair funding which luckily I've never really needed. What good is going out and spending your nans money on something newer if it pulls a golf a shats the camshaft etc etc. could you afford to repair it? no, that's a fact. you'd be stuck with another box of metal and both you and your nan would be out of pocket. If you want great mpg get a moped or something

I still stick by a 106 nad or even a xud, yes it's not the 60mpg+ you lie awake at night dreaming off but running on veg will damn near ofset the number difference and don't say you can't be asked with doing veg stuff because it's not time consuming and if you're not working then you havent alot else going on atm
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(11-09-2012, 10:03 AM)c.a.r. Wrote: Tom I don't think you need reminding that should you own a diesel car and it goes wrong again you won't be able to afford to fix it?!

A petrol car (much like the Yamaha 1.25-equipped Fiesta) is much, much less complicated and much, much more reliable. What you spend extra in fuel you will save on servicing and repairs, I guarrantee it.

Try slinging some rates into this calculator online. And be honest. - True Cost of Running a Car

Ok, maybe I didn't explain it enough to start with.

I use savings to purcahse and fix the car, if and when it should break. I use the current account money for fuel and food (if I don't earn enough in the week, I have to earn more the next week to make up the £60 for a tank of diesel a fortnight).

Whatever car I get will be expensive to fix, diesel or petrol, all dependant on which part has broken though obviously.

I can't physically earn enough in the week to spend more on fuel atm. But 'if' it were to break, and I was willing to fix it, that money would come from the savings. If that makes sense.
Thanks given by:
The people you want to be speaking about reliability to when it comes to cars is me and Mattcheese and anyone else that has delivered takeaways for a long period of time. Tbh my hdi doesn't compare to the 1.4 8v Astra on reliability. My mk4 Astra was cheaper to insure than my hdi as well.

And here we go again. You don't have a job! So you can't afford to be picky!

Here we go your perfect Peugeot. Very cheap insurance! Cheap on parts, 80mpg and very fun!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-PEUGEOT-S..._749wt_922
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(11-09-2012, 10:17 AM)kentiiboii Wrote: The people you want to be speaking about reliability to when it comes to cars is me and Mattcheese and anyone else that has delivered takeaways for a long period of time. Tbh my hdi doesn't compare to the 1.4 8v Astra on reliability. My mk4 Astra was cheaper to insure than my hdi as well.

And here we go again. You don't have a job! So you can't afford to be picky!

Here we go your perfect Peugeot. Very cheap insurance! Cheap on parts, 80mpg and very fun!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-PEUGEOT-S..._749wt_922

He doesn't do listening too well.

I've done it in my D-Tub for 2 years/30k and my NAD before that for around 6 months. The latter is apparently shit and locks the wheels up easily. Only time mine did that was on drain covers in the pissing rain and I think that was maybe twice in the year of driving it.
Thanks given by:
(11-09-2012, 10:03 AM)lolsteve Wrote: It's not buying the car, it's repairing them as my dad always says. When I went to buy my first car I had £2k to spend so I bought a £900 car that gave me plently of repair funding which luckily I've never really needed. What good is going out and spending your nans money on something newer if it pulls a golf a shats the camshaft etc etc. could you afford to repair it? no, that's a fact. you'd be stuck with another box of metal and both you and your nan would be out of pocket. If you want great mpg get a moped or something

I still stick by a 106 nad or even a xud, yes it's not the 60mpg+ you lie awake at night dreaming off but running on veg will damn near ofset the number difference and don't say you can't be asked with doing veg stuff because it's not time consuming and if you're not working then you havent alot else going on atm

As I've said before, I AM working lol, I just don't have a proper job like most of you. I still spend most days doing things to earn money....when I can get about in the car that is! I'm determined not to go on dole so while I can still scrape by NOT being a dole bum I will do.

Tbh, my Nan will never be out of pocket, anyone knocks at her door telling her about a 'today only' deal, she bloody does it - for example she had her roof cleaned and painted (no i dont get why either) for several thousand pound last year!!

If you buy a newer car with a years dealer warranty and the camshaft breaks (unlikely unless its had 130ks worth of abuse) then you take it back and they fix it....a year is hopefully enough time to sort other things out.
Thanks given by:
You're making it sound like the MPG thing between petrol and diesel are poles apart - they're not.

Even if you acheive 55mpg in a diesel (which is tough) that's approx. 12p per mile
If you acheive 41mpg or more in a petrol it's just 15p per mile - only 25% more to run over the course of the year, albeit without the higher servicing cost or risk of any expensive components failing (turbo, clutch etc.)

What is your master plan? What do you plan to do with £7,000? Buy a car which will be worth considerably less in 2 years time?
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
Thanks given by:
Car makes a valid point......which is a shame

Petrol is roughly 5-8p cheaper a litre at the moment so you can offset a lower mpg against the lower fuel price
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Chris, Ive already worked out the PPM using http://www.torquecars.com/tools/uk-mpg-calculator.php . Did it yesterday when I was looking at the cost to fuel the mondeo or a '6.

Its really not hard at all to average 60mpg in the Golf, or 65mpg in the NAD without even trying so i can't see it'd be too difficult to acheive 60 in any other diesel.

Its about 5 or 6p different between petrol at 40mpg and diesel at 60mpg, 6p over 300 miles soon adds up!

I don't have a master plan tbh Chris, Im just trying to make the best of the options I've got in the short term.

However this thread really isn't going in the right direction so we might as well just leave it tbh.
Thanks given by:
So what happens when the expensive new car breaks? Where does the money come from to fix it?
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Going back to this MPG thing, please enlighten me on how you are getting the figures you claim you are from a mapped PD130, as nowhere online has anyone acheived similar figures. Max is 60 mpg, on a motorway slog.

Be it fitted to a Fabia, Ibiza or Polo, nothing betters your mpg figures, Revo remap or otherwise.

Perhaps you could make money out of your real-world mpg calculations as they seem very optimistic.

40+ mpg out of a petrol car is fantastic. If you can't afford to fuel that, you shouldn't be on the road. What other compromises might a poor driver make?!
Thanks given by:
I was working to Jobs so I can keep a good amount of money coming in! I live at home with my mum all I pay is board.
The takeaway driving I used to do would pay for my fuel for the whole week! Even when I had 2 litre Mondeo it fuelled it for the week. And it was £80 in my pocket for 2 days worth of work. Only downfall is it does put a lot of stress on the car. But even with all that I wanted a new serrocco I knew I could afford one but I know if anything went wrong I'd be screwed because I wouldn't be able to pay the garage bills. Where as my hdi. Clutch has gone. It's cost me £120 for clutch kit and new cable. And it's only took 3 days work. In a garage it would of cost me more like 3-400.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(11-09-2012, 10:49 AM)c.a.r. Wrote: Going back to this MPG thing, please enlighten me on how you are getting the figures you claim you are from a mapped PD130, as nowhere online has anyone acheived similar figures. Max is 60 mpg, on a motorway slog.

Be it fitted to a Fabia, Ibiza or Polo, nothing betters your mpg figures, Revo remap or otherwise.

Perhaps you could make money out of your real-world mpg calculations as they seem very optimistic.

40+ mpg out of a petrol car is fantastic. If you can't afford to fuel that, you shouldn't be on the road. What other compromises might a poor driver make?!

Maybe because I can drive sensibly for the majority of the time. Since the map, the overall tank average never dropped below 60mpg. Fair enough you don't believe its power, but mpg is easily proved with fuel reciepts and mile readings ffs lol.

But you have to bear in mind, I did most of my driving sitting on cruise control at 60 on motorway or 45 on my B road, just watching the mpg rise. Got well over 70mpg on the way to town frequently as it basically idles in 6th at that but town traffic pushed it back down, as its not all avoidable. But I avoid town traffic where possible, will take another route to save fuel, also cost downhill in gear, gear down at junctions etc. Oh and overtake people doing 30, theyre the buggers keeping me stuck in 5th wasting fuel, usually get 2 or 3 overtakes on my road, but then coast back down to ~45. You won't find many people as anal about about mpg than me!
Thanks given by:
So how many miles to a tank?
Thanks given by:
(11-09-2012, 11:05 AM)c.a.r. Wrote: So how many miles to a tank?

Never did a full tank, filled up to the click with the same pump every other tuesday so i knew i had plenty of fuel at all times, I do anything possible to avoid to avoid a breakdown you see, Id hate to run out fuel. But it cost about 10pence per mile on diesel at £1.40.9 on the last tankful. Was about 450 miles in the week as I'd had a busy week, cost £46 I think. Receipts in the car but cba to go get it for exact figures lol.
Thanks given by:
So you're putting 32 liters into a 55 liter tank? I don't think you're about to run out buddy.

The only reason I ask is that the VAG on-board trip computer is renowned for over-reading by around 10mpg, something which gets worse if you remap the car.

You do realise the cheapest option right now is to simply borrow just £300 from granny, fix the Golf and run it into the ground?
Thanks given by:
Only that time, cos I wouldnt get another week from it, usually I do around 600-650 miles in the fortnight so about 3/4s of the tank, never to the red light anyway.

The mpg computer isnt too far out tbh, about 2 or 3 mpg either way usually, but I wouldnt trust it lol, thats why i always work it out properly. Smile

There are other resons the Golf has to go, MOT runs out next month and a lot of parts are f*cked (wishbone bushes almost non existant, oops!) and i think the dmf's still rattling, plus insurance is a bit of an issue with it, now I've had a good look around, it needs plenty of work done tbh.
Thanks given by:
But Tom you have trained to be a mechanic?

This is where your story falls flat on its' face, because it simply doesn't make sense. Mechanics don't complain about having to have a 'load of work done' because it's their time, not a garages.

If you really want to be a mechanic, you should be out there stripping the head off and prepping it for a recon head to come from eBay. Then I'm sure you could sell the knackered head on to a recon company (even on an exchange basis) as it's worth money to them.
Thanks given by:
I cant afford to fix everything needed for cams and then MOT, although Im theoretically capable of fitting the parts. And what happens when I spend ~£800+ fixing it and MOTing it then the DMF fails 20 minutes later.

You're contradicting you're own argument now.
Thanks given by:
(11-09-2012, 11:34 AM)Toms306 Wrote: You're contradicting you're own argument now.

No I'm not; Dopey,

Borrow funds to fix Golf, flog it on immediately or trade it in for something more frugal.

Keep your hands in your pockets and don't f*ck the next car up by trying to make it as fast as a 911 and as economical as a pushbike.
Thanks given by:
Trade in price on these is only £1500 if that anyway, so may as well just break it now lol. And selling cars down here is a pain anyway, people can't be arsed to travel to the arse end of nowhere for a car, I don't blame them.
Thanks given by:
Just for reference on VAG trip computers, the Skoda used to read 50 on a run and 30-33 round town, but used to do 250 miles on a brimmed tank...

Lying f*cking thing.
Thanks given by:
(11-09-2012, 03:07 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Just for reference on VAG trip computers, the Skoda used to read 50 on a run and 30-33 round town, but used to do 250 miles on a brimmed tank...

Lying f*cking thing.

Didn't you look at the tank average one though lol? Theres 2, well 3 really but the third is that shite one that tells you mpg at that exact moment lol, thats pointless. But of the other two, theres one that tells you each trip and one that tells you however long you want, I used to reset the 'long' one every tankful and compare it to my actual mpg, and it was only 2 or 3 out either way on both Golfs tbh.

As I said though, I wouldn't trust any of those things, or the miles to empty.....as that Mondeo I took out yesterday, I did 5 or 6 miles after it ticked over to '0 miles to empty' haha. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(11-09-2012, 04:02 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(11-09-2012, 03:07 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Just for reference on VAG trip computers, the Skoda used to read 50 on a run and 30-33 round town, but used to do 250 miles on a brimmed tank...

Lying f*cking thing.

Didn't you look at the tank average one though lol? Theres 2, well 3 really but the third is that shite one that tells you mpg at that exact moment lol, thats pointless. But of the other two, theres one that tells you each trip and one that tells you however long you want, I used to reset the 'long' one every tankful and compare it to my actual mpg, and it was only 2 or 3 out either way on both Golfs tbh.

As I said though, I wouldn't trust any of those things, or the miles to empty.....as that Mondeo I took out yesterday, I did 5 or 6 miles after it ticked over to '0 miles to empty' haha. Big Grin

Of course I used the average one, but if I told you I average xxmpg per tank it wouldn't make any sense because you don't know the kind of driving I do over a tankful...
Thanks given by:
Y reg hdi estate 306 Cheap tax, good mpg, loads of space. Better looking than any new car on the market
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:
http://m.gumtree.com/v?adId=1000895623

Someone take me to get this tomorow?

Already had the usual shit tu bits changed.....
Thanks given by:
Tom that looks like a right bargain...shame about the colour!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(11-09-2012, 07:21 PM)Niall Wrote: Tom that looks like a right bargain...shame about the colour!

And the engine.....and the spec.

But f*ck it, its a 306 in Ipswich lol.
Thanks given by:
yeah!! tom you will be back to 4k change ups!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fix 306 or get newer Peugeot? MY95 20 3,093 03-01-2016, 03:24 PM
Last Post: Eeyore
  Newer Diesels... Toms306 150 41,182 17-07-2014, 06:57 PM
Last Post: cpikey316_