Fix 306 or get newer Peugeot?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fix 306 or get newer Peugeot?
So, getting bored of stage 1, the car needs a few things to get it 100%. So do I fix the few things or buy a newer 206/307xsi tdi/1.6? 206 xsi 1.6 110 looks very tempting right now!
Thanks guys
Thanks given by:
Buy a newer car...but not a newer Peugeot. And definitely not anything with a DV6!
Thanks given by:
Fix it!!!! I have 307 2.0 110 and lets just say I dont love it!
Driven a few 206's and they're not bad but just doesn't feel as good as a good 306!
Not fancy a 3dr dturbo?
Thanks given by:
Knew you'd be first to reply Tom Tongue lol
Would have to be a 206 or 307, nothing else id get, or could get for under 1k.
Don't know if I just fancy a revvy economical petrol for a while! Hence 206 xsi 110.

Red: 5dr/3dr doesn't really bother me, so not really! Just fancy something a bit newer, better build quality and something revvy but still cheap, once thing id miss from the 306 would be the reliability, cheapness and shove from 2k.
Thanks given by:
fix the 306. Honestly a 206 is probably okay but the 307s etc are hardly reliable regarding electrics etc. You wont get much cheaper motoring than a 306.
Thanks given by:
Oh sorry, thought you meant a diesel with 110 1.6!

307s are awful, honestly no redeeming features at all (well, unless you have too many children to fit a normal car lol).

206s are ok but have loads of annoying niggles and really don't grip well at all, swing the wheel round and you can understeer at 20mph. Also catch your foot on the steering column with the clutch down which I found annoying while parking.

1.6 petrols aren't economical, you'll only be looking at 40mpg at best tbh.
Thanks given by:
Everything Tom the cheeky wee devil lol and eeyore said above

3dr dturbo xud or hdi ftmfw!trust me buddy you wouldn't regret it!
Thanks given by:
Fair enough on 307, supposed it is a bit of a barge compared to the 306! 206 handled well when I had a hdi 90 before, sure Piggy will be around soon, was much better on fuel, probably only getting 40-45mpg mixed driving, would get about the same out of the 1.6xsi 206, and should be better in the corners due to lighter engine etc.
306 needs new accelerator cable (£30 plus £20 fitting), front left brake calliper rebuild kit (£20 +£15 to fit), another rear axle as the one ive got spoils the handling big time (so £250 for refurbed then £30 fitting), engine is a peach and very quiet and car hasnt let me down the last 2 years/30kmiles so would be a shame. Just whether or not I sort the few things out and stage 2 (then probably run into engine problems) or throw in the towel soon, just not sure. Can get brand new cars now leased for £99 a month and £99 deposit which seems very tempting.. even though we are talking about a 108 1.0 or panda 1.2....
Thanks given by:
The 108 with the 1.2VTi should be alright! Bit slow with the 1.0 tbh, though my sister manages epic mpg in hers without knowing how to drive economically. Shame the Aygo doesn't get the 1.2 really as the 108 isn't exactly a looker...

I had the same thoughts as you last year (well, year before now), and bought a year old 1.0 107 in top spec...and absolutely hated it! Soon learnt MPG and newness isn't everything lol. Hence buying the Focus instead, not that that turned out be a great idea either. Point is, I think you'll regret getting something new and shit on finance so make sure to chose wisely! Smile
Thanks given by:
If you go you will be back plain and simple but go try them out!
206 will lead to bills like you have with the 306 and beams go there too!
Could you really go to a 1.0 or 1.2 from a stage1 306 Hdi?
Easy living for sure but boring as brown on a Volvo!
Thanks given by:
i think you have to realise here that you are actually buying a different car... not a new one. Anything that is over ten years old is probably going to have issues and will probably cost you the same. Genuinely a case of better the devil you know. Youve identified what the issues are with yours so get on and fix them.

The new car arguement is that £99 is cheap... but what are you actually getting for your money? A slow slightly more efficient 108? £99 a month is cheap but its still almost £1200 a year... for which you could buy 2 half decent 306 diesels for. And what kind of spec do you even get for that money? Not a lot i presume. Would you rather spend £1200 on a small eco box that you wont even own... or would you rather have your own car with more spec, good mpg and an epic repair/modification budget. For me its a no brainer!
Thanks given by:
Fit the cable yourself piece of piss, buy a calliper off someone on here, fit it yourself, also who's fitting beams for £30 they can do mine, save me the bother for 30 notes Big Grin
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Defo fix your 306 for what your looking to spend on another car you'll just be taking a side ways step
Thanks given by:
Don't buy a 307 whatever you do, absolutely hateful things. A 306 is built like a rolls Royce in terms of build quality compared to one of those hateful things, and that's saying something lmao

206 are OK I guess, but about the same as a 306 just everything is slightly more of a pain to change, tighter in the engine bay, have to lower the subframe to change wishbones etc. 

Just man up and spend a few quid sorting out the 306 lol
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Sell your 306, Use the money to put down a deposit on an RS megane DCi 175 and become a legend like me Big Grin

But seriously i would rather spend 4-6k on a 6-7yr old 'decent' car than a brand new one thats only built to last 6-7yrs anyways.

I bought my megane because i dont like the generic crap diesel VAG crap that seems to be the main thing available, and im so glad I did because its twice the car the equivalent price AND spec audi A3 / vw golf / Seat Leon could ever aspire too without the VAG price tag.

Just wish there were more options for tuning but it shares exhaust systems with the petrol RS meganes, and a stage 1 map alone takes it too 195bhp & 302lb/ft.

http://www.evo.co.uk/ford/focus-st/14175...d-focus-st
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Ph1 Dturbo!
Thanks given by:
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=28935
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Tom: 108 with 1.2 82bhp would be nippy enough, but they are a lot more expensive brand new, and id miss the torque big time! Decided against it for many reasons!

Red: Thats the thing, couldnt go back a few steps in performance, want more really as stage 1 is pretty boring most of the time. PH1 DT would be going back a step in every way from the HDI, bar running it on veg aha, but wouldnt get another 306 as they are at an age now where you need to find a good one for it not to give you loads of issues.

Sam: Good point re identified issues and get on and fix them rather than getting another unknown car. Yeah would be £99 wasted when I could be having a bit of fun in the 306 I suppose! Cheers Sam, great post!

Matt: Is it actually really easy fitting the cable? Would rather buy a £20 rebuild kit and get it done and forgot about! my mechanic is £20 an hour aha but a long journey away from yours Tongue

Frost: Good point Frost, cheers.

Ozone: Thanks for the experience and knowledge ozone aha.

Matt: Megane would be nice, but says 0-60 in 8.3 which is about the same as my stage 1 hdi to be honest! A stage 2 will get it down to 7 seconds, and with 4k having no left my pocket (which i havent got anyway) and 10 mpg less it doesnt seem worth it! Would rather fix and stage 2! Cheers though dude Smile

RP: FZS are nice, but a bit out of my price range, like the megane, and not sure it would do the miles I do without more issues than the 306! And depreciation would kill it compared to losing nothing with the 306!

Just going to fix the 306 and get some Stage 2 bits together for a low but reliable Stage 2 Smile
Thanks given by:
good plan. I did all this when the 1.8 was causing my trouble and stress. I had a big spreadsheet with estimated running cost, tax, insurance etc. The hdi would have been the cheapest to run but i needed a quick fix. I looked at V50s and atterz had a 93 aero which i thought looked great and it was cheap to buy. Its been reliable and cheaper to insure than the 306 so overall the running costs were more than the 1.8... but it was reliable and has a rediculous spec for little money. The reliability was the most important thing really. When you do projects just make sure you plan for the worst case scenario... explaining that you cant come into work because you modified your car and something sheared causes a lot of unneeded stress. Access to a second car is always ideal!
Thanks given by:
Cheers Sam, I see, yeah you spent a fortune on the 1.8, but that doesnt really matter when its your hobby and you can use the parts on the Rallye Smile

I loved the Rallye but just was too expensive for me, especially when the HDI did everything the Rallye did except for noise, 48mpg average since I got it 2 years ago this month/33k miles later compared to mid 20s was a no brainer very quickly!

Planning on doing a low stage 2, for enough power to keep up with a lot of things, enough to be fun and still be a reliable daily! 155bhp/230lb ft is the aim (keep original clutch still, got a new valeo if i wanted to go to 250lbft but dont see the point)

Drive my dads Fiesta ZS TDCI 95 2014 when mines off the road, very smooth power delivery and not far behind my HDI but gutless torque! Does go round corners like its on rails though, even better than a 306 IMO.
Thanks given by:
(03-01-2016, 03:10 PM)MY95 Wrote: Does go round corners like its on rails though, even better than a 306 IMO.

clearly your 306 isnt "slammed" enough bruv.

yeh think of all the fun youll be able to have for that £1200 you were going to spend on a new car Tongue
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newer Diesels... Toms306 150 41,234 17-07-2014, 06:57 PM
Last Post: cpikey316_
  Newer Cars!? Toms306 123 44,384 12-09-2012, 07:31 PM
Last Post: Toms306