Newer Cars!?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newer Cars!?
(10-09-2012, 09:28 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: I spend every Friday morning in shock at what you can get for a grand. Remember the E32 750iL? V12 with MOT for less than a grand? Smile
I saw that one earlier, and OMG. Want.
Thanks given by:
(10-09-2012, 09:28 PM)THE_Liam Wrote:
(10-09-2012, 05:56 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: i usually resist posting in Tom's threads because they bore me shitless . .this is no different but and quote " its not a car you buy with your brain"

seriously really? . . .i paid 350 quid for mine got the cambelt changed and other than the normal droplinks balljoints whatever i've had 2 years of trouble free motoring, running on veg, pissing all over other peoples MPG figures because of the price of fuel, she's got a nice stage 1 tune that i did myself, results below in my sig, and i get a lot of nice comments from people who see her and ride in her . .
i mean obviously people that own 306's are gonna bite at your comments a bit but why must you talk such total bullshit all the time? . . i assume it's the only way you can get an answer of some form, because you can't be sensible yourself, i know i always give you shit mate but you bring it on yourself, i fcuking love my 306 and i can't wait to get a TD04 slapped on and have even more fun, but i guess that means i don't have a brain when it comes to buying cars . . . . .oh, hang on a minute, i'm not the one with a fubarred piece of VAG crap on the drive though am i? . . . . . .hmmmmm makes you think doesn't it x lol

Well said.

(10-09-2012, 06:11 PM)c.a.r. Wrote: Have a look at some of the shed posts on pistonheads, that's any car which costs a bag of sand or less. Some are incredible. You do not want to spend thousands on a car you can't afford, it will be a massive mistake.

Shed of the week is awesome, I spend every Friday morning in shock at what you can get for a grand. Remember the E32 750iL? V12 with MOT for less than a grand? Smile

And Tom, I really despair of your thought process. You got an over-complicated modern car, absolutely emptied your savings for it and it turned out to be a liability. So now you want to blow your nans cash on something else over-complicated? Don't you learn?

You're missing the point, my nan will only give me the money for something newer! All the 306s I've bought (except the thirsty 1.8) have been liabilities too, headgaskets, gearboxes, brakes etc etc etc, I've still spent more fixing 2 306s than I have 2 golfs!
Thanks given by:
(10-09-2012, 09:30 PM)Scott Wrote:
(10-09-2012, 09:28 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: I spend every Friday morning in shock at what you can get for a grand. Remember the E32 750iL? V12 with MOT for less than a grand? Smile

I know right? Remember this serious piece of supercharged gangster limo? I was close to doing something daft mate...

http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=162&i=23498

Also, V8 Quattro limo Big Grin

http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=162&i=24353

(10-09-2012, 09:37 PM)Toms306 Wrote: You're missing the point, my nan will only give me the money for something newer! All the 306s I've bought (except the thirsty 1.8) have been liabilities too, headgaskets, gearboxes, brakes etc etc etc, I've still spent more fixing 2 306s than I have 2 golfs!

I'm not missing the point, my point is you squandered your own hard-earned and now you want to squander your nans? How old are you?

Oh, and don't blame 306s (again), the Golf was shit as well. You buy shit cars.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
what youve got to remember is, new cars ARE NOT more reliable than older ones that have been looked after. if they were, main dealers would go out f business.
newer cars can be alot more difficult to diagnose and repair so id way up the pros and cons. You could buy a 12 year old 306 dt and it blows a rod out the side after 4k....go to the scrappers and get a engine for 100 quid and bung it in...jobs a goo dun.

Clutch goes on a newish car. it happens...mine went on the octavia at 30k when the master cylinder shat it self leaving skoda with a 1100 quid bill for replacement! but its been faultless since even with my driving! its all pot luck but youve got to think what if!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(10-09-2012, 09:57 PM)Niall Wrote: what youve got to remember is, new cars ARE NOT more reliable than older ones that have been looked after. if they were, main dealers would go out f business.
newer cars can be alot more difficult to diagnose and repair so id way up the pros and cons. You could buy a 12 year old 306 dt and it blows a rod out the side after 4k....go to the scrappers and get a engine for 100 quid and bung it in...jobs a goo dun.

Clutch goes on a newish car. it happens...mine went on the octavia at 30k when the master cylinder shat it self leaving skoda with a 1100 quid bill for replacement! but its been faultless since even with my driving! its all pot luck but youve got to think what if!

+1. All you are doing by buying a newer car is throwing money down the toilet through (higher levels of) depreciation.
[Image: sigjpg.jpg]
Serious.
Thanks given by:
tom, buy a cortina mk5 estate, as i have said.
Thanks given by:
106 nad, you hate it but it seems like nothing is good enough anyway. It'll be dirt cheap to run, let you save up some cash for the better car you dream of...what it is we have to figure out. If it breaks then it'd be cheaper to replace with another one than it would be to swap a turbo on a golf .
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
TOM LISTEN TO THIS!!!!
You have no job!
Your golf is overly complecated!
Your gran is LENDING you the money for a new car which is polite to make payments in giving the money back! But the way you are you ain't getting a job for a while therefore you can't afford to pay your gran back!
If you think your golf is complecated then a new car is going to be so much worse! Anything goes wrong you'll have to take it to a garage... Which you can't afford to fix your golf on your own!

Your being picky about "having to be high spec" to be honest you can't afford to be choosy. Most people I know that don't have jobs couldn't even think about owning a car and here you are with a High spec golf that you can't afford!

The best thing you could do right now if your so desperate for a reliable, cheap to run, cheap for parts and easy to repair is buy a 1.4 8v Astra! They're comfortable very cheap on parts look nice cheap on fuel insurance easy to repair and reliable! My old 1.4 8v I had it for 20k and in that time all I ever did was mot which was never expensive! Bypass the fan as it didn't kick in when needed! But it constantly got thrashed around (I was 17) it never had water and was lucky if it had oil! It seriously never let me down!

But your in no posistion to be so picky or even thinking about loans even if it is family. Ok if you don't pay her back she'll most likely take it out of your inheritance... But think about it in how ever many years time you may need that for something much more important than a car you seriously don't need!

Hope this essay is going to help. Listen on here!
A 306 or Astra might not be High spec but it's all you can realistically afford!
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
^This man speaks sense.

If you don't have a job you can't expect to have things that are expensive, you'll just have to live with lower spec until you earn enough to get better.
Thanks given by:
(10-09-2012, 10:07 PM)procta Wrote: tom, buy a cortina mk5 estate, as i have said.

i would!
2ltr pinto bored to 2.2 burton cam, 48 webbers and RWD!! theres brawwwp right there
sorry old school Heart
Thanks given by:
(10-09-2012, 11:25 PM)kentiiboii Wrote: TOM LISTEN TO THIS!!!!
You have no job!
Your golf is overly complecated!
Your gran is LENDING you the money for a new car which is polite to make payments in giving the money back! But the way you are you ain't getting a job for a while therefore you can't afford to pay your gran back!
If you think your golf is complecated then a new car is going to be so much worse! Anything goes wrong you'll have to take it to a garage... Which you can't afford to fix your golf on your own!

Your being picky about "having to be high spec" to be honest you can't afford to be choosy. Most people I know that don't have jobs couldn't even think about owning a car and here you are with a High spec golf that you can't afford!

The best thing you could do right now if your so desperate for a reliable, cheap to run, cheap for parts and easy to repair is buy a 1.4 8v Astra! They're comfortable very cheap on parts look nice cheap on fuel insurance easy to repair and reliable! My old 1.4 8v I had it for 20k and in that time all I ever did was mot which was never expensive! Bypass the fan as it didn't kick in when needed! But it constantly got thrashed around (I was 17) it never had water and was lucky if it had oil! It seriously never let me down!

But your in no posistion to be so picky or even thinking about loans even if it is family. Ok if you don't pay her back she'll most likely take it out of your inheritance... But think about it in how ever many years time you may need that for something much more important than a car you seriously don't need!

Hope this essay is going to help. Listen on here!
A 306 or Astra might not be High spec but it's all you can realistically afford!

Right, I think this covers most of the other replies too.

Kent, I do see your point, but the way I see it is this:-

A newer car would be cheaper to fuel, tax and insure, which is what I need with very little income atm! Even a 1.4 astra isnt particularly cheap, looking at around 40/42mpg, £135 a year to tax and i havent looked at insurance but they have the same boy racer image as the 106 so most likely high insurance too.

A newer car is also theoretically more reliable (hear me out)....I bought two PD Golfs on 130k, this is the time they start falling apart, cams/DMF/Injectors all go around this milage. Similarly with the 1.4 306s, I bought them on about 65-75k, the time where headgaskets and gearboxes start failing on TU's... So I've either gotta get a high miler that has already had all those things replaced but will have loads of niggly fault by that age, or buy a newer car with low miles which shouldn't need things replaced for a while. I saw Niall said about the clutch on his Octy, but honestly I can't imagine that happens often. My mum had her fabia from new, did 95k in 6 years and nothing at all broke in 6 years! Then the exhaust broke (and due to skoda not selling just the pipe it would've needed a cat too (but Id have just welded the hole!)) but because it was a pov spec fabia, it was only worth £1500 trade in after 6 years lol, so Nan gave her 7k or so to buy a new car, yes, gave. You say it's polite to pay her back, but in all honesty, right now I'm there 2 or 3 days a week doing things for her! Part of the reason I need a car is to take her to places (tescos/vets/docs/etc). So it cant be a completely horrible old unsafe shitter, thats the 106 out then lol!

The Golf is overly complicated in ways it doesn't need to be in all honesty, thats just the VAG way.

Newer cars are (mostly) easier to diagnose faults with the use of a scan tool. Not being funny, I was never even shown a real VE pump in college, becasue everything these days is done with scantools and multimeters.

I'm not overly bothered by deprecition if I'm given the money, harsh as that may sound, if I don't have to worry about the purchase price, I can concentrate entirely on the cheapness to run instead.

Right now I'm not bothered by spec, Id even take a pov LX 1.4/HDi if there was one close enough, but I'm looking for a newer car after thats sorted. If I'm gonna have any chance of getting over my distance problem (and who knows, maybe attending a xmas meet or something) I need something I can trust to be fairly reliable, I know all cars break, but as I've tried to explain above there should be less chance of major things breaking on a newer car. I never could trust the 306s or the Golfs unfortuantely, and certainly not the 106 lol, and I can really do without the added worry.

As I said in the very first post, I knew some of you wouldn't understand the reasons behind it, but I didnt ask for opinions on whether or not I should take the cash, I asked about newer cars themselves.
Thanks given by:

Someone actually went ahead and bought it, and put up a thread in readers rides.

Seriously amazing amount of car (literally, it's absolutely huge!) for the money.

Tom what you need is a runaround mate. Not a plush car with heaps of creature comforts, that can wait.

Do you think I bought my Pug for their amazing capabilities? For their reliability record? For their equipment levels? Because they excel in none of those categories...

Less than 5 miles from Tom-
Rover 214 51k miles 5 door red - £800
Peugeot 307 96k miles 1.6 16v 5 door yellow - £995
Toyota Avensis 73k miles 1.8 VVTi 5 door red - £995
Volvo S40 88k miles 1.8 4 door saloon red - £675

It really doesn't have to be a diesel car.
Diesels are inherently more complex, so when they go wrong they cost you more. If you absolutely must have a diesel, you need to look for something simple. Something pre DMF, pre DPF, pre VNT.

In a nutshell, you need to start defining the line between what you NEED and what you WANT.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
(11-09-2012, 08:05 AM)c.a.r. Wrote:

Someone actually went ahead and bought it, and put up a thread in readers rides.

Seriously amazing amount of car (literally, it's absolutely huge!) for the money.

Tom what you need is a runaround mate. Not a plush car with heaps of creature comforts, that can wait.

Do you think I bought my Pug for their amazing capabilities? For their reliability record? For their equipment levels? Because they excel in none of those categories...

Less than 5 miles from Tom-
Rover 214 51k miles 5 door red - £800
Peugeot 307 96k miles 1.6 16v 5 door yellow - £995
Toyota Avensis 73k miles 1.8 VVTi 5 door red - £995
Volvo S40 88k miles 1.8 4 door saloon red - £675

It really doesn't have to be a diesel car.
Diesels are inherently more complex, so when they go wrong they cost you more. If you absolutely must have a diesel, you need to look for something simple. Something pre DMF, pre DPF, pre VNT.

In a nutshell, you need to start defining the line between what you NEED and what you WANT.

None of those cars are less than 5 miles. Ebay distances are shit. That yellow 307 is 20 miles away lol.

Yes for now I need something to get about, but something i can afford to fuel! I looked at that avensis, I cant afford a 1.8vvt lol!! Same with the Volvo. The position Im stuck in right now is this - cant afford to fuel a cheap car, can't afford to buy an efficeint car! This is why I'm seeing the only option as buying a runaround thatll ra*e me on fuel for a couple of weeks (probably the avensis tbh) and then use Nans money to take away the purchase price problem, allowing me to concentrate on efficincyand hopefully reliability, which im sure is what i said above anyway lol.
Thanks given by:
That Avensis will easily do high 30s MPG Tom, it will still cost peanuts to run.

Essentially you can't afford to drive, that's the underlying problem here.

You create threads asking for advice then get - what are we now, page 3? - lots of responses just so you can ignore it and do what you think is best anyway?

You're beyond help.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
Thanks given by:
(11-09-2012, 08:47 AM)c.a.r. Wrote: That Avensis will easily do high 30s MPG Tom, it will still cost peanuts to run.

Essentially you can't afford to drive, that's the underlying problem here.

You create threads asking for advice then get - what are we now, page 3? - lots of responses just so you can ignore it and do what you think is best anyway?

You're beyond help.

High 30s!?????????? Are you f*cking serious? Thats an EXTRA £20 or more a week on my fuel bill! I can only just scrape by atm at 60mpg, no way can I afford a petrol.

But don't you see the responses aren't actually what I asked for, I asked about opinions on newer cars, not opinions on myself/my situation.

I'm well aware I can't really afford to drive. But living in the arse end of nowhere I can't earn any money without driving! And I cant afford to move into town (then not own a car) without earning money. Catch 22 really.

Edit - I think you've got the same argument as my Dad...he drives a grands worth of Y reg top spec 2.5 V6 Mondeo....averaging 20mpg. He says he only uses £30 a week in fuel same as me...but doesn't realsie I do three times the miles on that £30 because he lives in the middle of town!!!

And my mums argument is 'if you're not gonna use Nans money (which she's been trying to force me into for a week now) then spend a lot of money on a pov spec old 1.0 petrol because it'll be cheap to run'....yeah I dont have a spare 2 grand for that 1997 fiesta 1.3, plus it'll depreciate like hell and most probably break all the time as small engines are made on a budget.

I think the problem is theres no definite answer to it really......................but regardless, thats not what this thread was for!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks given by:
Tom you can't say it doesn't happen often. As I said dealer garages wouldn't be in business. The amount of miles I do, especially on motorways and the amount of sub 5 year old cara I see on the hard shoulder (normally Audi or BMW which pleases me greatly) broken down, or with steam pouring out of them or massive puddles of some pretty important fluid on the floor is quite shocking tbh
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
My auntie has a 59 plate focus and that shat its power steering pump at around 20k miles
My recent 06 astra that i bought (now sold) was full of problems so dont think spending x amount of money will result in 100% reliablility

Also as said before live within you're means!
Forgive me if im wrong here but you come accross as a bit spoilt i.e no job but still want to be driving nice cars with high spec, you are going to get a massive shock when you join the real world like the rest of us, if you didn't live with you're parents right now with no job you wouldn't be worrying about if a car has cruise/leather you would be worrying about you're next meal.

I do understand about having a nice reliable car with nice toys but dont we all? The fact is most of us can't afford hence why we have 306's which with good servicing and general maintenance provide just that with the added benefit of looking far superior to other cars in their class Wink

Imo don't borrow a large amount of money to buy a new car, borrow a little to get the golf fixed or just go out and buy a new car with the money you can actually afford to spend.

Just my 2ps worth
Thanks given by:
(11-09-2012, 09:07 AM)Niall Wrote: Tom you can't say it doesn't happen often. As I said dealer garages wouldn't be in business. The amount of miles I do, especially on motorways and the amount of sub 5 year old cara I see on the hard shoulder (normally Audi or BMW which pleases me greatly) broken down, or with steam pouring out of them or massive puddles of some pretty important fluid on the floor is quite shocking tbh

Thats because all the old cars have broken down before reaching the motorway. Tongue

Tbh, dealers don't get much 'fixing' work anyway. I've worked at both Honda and Ford, and the majority of stuff they do is servicing and PDIs (pre delivery inspections). Infact they've got so little work especially atm (well back in January) becuase newer cars dont require fixing so much, and people will leave niggly faults as they dont have much money atm that at Fords we were literally waiting around for jobs to come in! And at Honda I only remember seeing a knackered autobox and a misfuel, everything else was servicing or leaky civic rear lights (they were the new leaky shape at the time lol)...in two weeks work experience!

I can obviously only go on my experiences, and we've all seen the Jag's/Audis broken down. But every new car I've had experience with - Hyundai i10, Hyundai Matrix, Skoda Fabia, Citroen C3, Suzuki Swift - wide range of lower end cars and have never had to have anything fixed, especially no major breakdowns.
Thanks given by:
what niall said new cars are always breaking down.

What if you go out buy a wickedly awesome 7k worth of car then a car comes out of know where and writes it off. Insurance will only give you like 3k if your lucky then that's your grans money wasted!

If I was you ( everyone will agree) don't use your grans money you'll have a point in life were you'll really wish you had the money to use then. You never know you may actually have a family one day! You know 7k would go much better towArds a house deposits!

End of the day your really not thinking realistically you can't afford a car as it is. Even if you do run your gran around here there and every where. Buy a bog standard car and just ask her to help out with it. Or to help out with the repair bills on the golf that way you can sell it and buy something a bit more decent.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I understand that what I'm about to say will probably offend a lot of people on here.....

You like Peugeots, you want something cheap, Something newer, something very cheap to run and you want luxuries such as leather....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-Kisbee...19c650d4ba
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Maybe the long-term plan is to borrow the money from the granny then just wait til she kicks the bucket?

No granny = no debt?

A bit morbid - but it makes perfect financial sense.

Tom, here's the thing.

If you buy a 1.25 Fiesta or similar for £1000, acheive the claimed 41mpg and put 20, 30 or 40 thousand miles on it but take care of it, do you know how much it will be worth at the end?
Pretty much the same.

Oh looky - 2001 Fiesta 1.25 Freestyle 53k miles
Thanks given by:
(11-09-2012, 09:18 AM)Strikeforce Wrote: My auntie has a 59 plate focus and that shat its power steering pump at around 20k miles
My recent 06 astra that i bought (now sold) was full of problems so dont think spending x amount of money will result in 100% reliablility

Forgive me if im wrong here but you come accross as a bit spoilt i.e no job but still want to be driving nice cars with high spec, you are going to get a massive shock when you join the real world like the rest of us, if you didn't live with you're parents right now with no job you wouldn't be worrying about if a car has cruise/leather you would be worrying about you're next meal.

I do understand about having a nice reliable car with nice toys but dont we all? The fact is most of us can't afford hence why we have 306's which with good servicing and general maintenance provide just that with the added benefit of looking far superior to other cars in their class Wink

Imo don't borrow a large amount of money to buy a new car, borrow a little to get the golf fixed or just go out and buy a new car with the money you can actually afford to spend.

Just my 2ps worth

Wouldn't say spoilt, I worked really f*cking hard to get the money together for the silver Golf (before everything went completely to shit that was), then sold that and only had to put a tiny bit more towards the blue one, adding a couple of hundred quid to each car after selling it is how I managed to get better cars, Im not used to losing a tonne of money on a car like I have this time tbh.

Driving/cars is the only thing I like/spend money on (except obviously food) if I don't spend money on that and drive an old shitter that really isn't nice (106NAD for example) then I don't really have anything left, as daft as that probably sounds to you guys.

Unfortunately, in February, I got some inheritance, and could do what I'd been wanting to do for ages and couldnt afford it, which was mod the golf for more power, that was a mistake, fun while it lasted but no modded car is reliable, look at any of the big power DTs on here for example, but anyway we live and learn, hopefully.

I can't live within my current means, it simply isn't possible, becasue as I said, living where I do I need a car to get to town to look for jobs/get food/help my Nan's out etc etc. And a car with 60mpg+ was perfect for that.........until it failed of course. And I even said a few weeks back to several people in the chatbox, I need to get rid of it for a HDi while theres still value in it, becuase if anything breaks I can't afford to fix it. People kept telling me I had plenty of time....they were wrong lol.

I don't think you do understand the reliablity thing to be honest, trusting a car to get me home when needed is what I need to get over some of my problems, rather than a car that is likely to have a major breakdown at any point, leaving me stranded somewhere.

And as Ive already said, I can't afford to fuel the cars that I can afford to buy, this is the predicament I'm in.
Thanks given by:
Not a bad shout and the few grand you save on the cost of the car will easily offset the 20mpg less your claiming and some more!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(11-09-2012, 09:34 AM)Niall Wrote: I understand that what I'm about to say will probably offend a lot of people on here.....

You like Peugeots, you want something cheap, Something newer, something very cheap to run and you want luxuries such as leather....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-Kisbee...19c650d4ba

Gonna struggle getting the trailer on that.....or getting my Nan on that tbh! Tongue

(11-09-2012, 09:38 AM)c.a.r. Wrote: Maybe the long-term plan is to borrow the money from the granny then just wait til she kicks the bucket?

No granny = no debt?

A bit morbid - but it makes perfect financial sense.

Tom, here's the thing.

If you buy a 1.25 Fiesta or similar for £1000, acheive the claimed 41mpg and put 20, 30 or 40 thousand miles on it but take care of it, do you know how much it will be worth at the end?
Pretty much the same.

Oh looky - 2001 Fiesta 1.25 Freestyle 53k miles

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motor.../110810304

Atleast if I get a diesel it wont ra*e the fuel THAT I CANT AFFORD lol. Not sure why its so difficult to understand that I physically cannot afford to fuel something only doing 40mpg!
Thanks given by:
(11-09-2012, 09:39 AM)Toms306 Wrote:
(11-09-2012, 09:18 AM)Strikeforce Wrote: My auntie has a 59 plate focus and that shat its power steering pump at around 20k miles

Just my 2ps worth

Wouldn't say spoilt, I worked really f*cking hard to get the money together for the silver Golf (before everything went completely to shit that was), then sold that and only had to put a tiny bit more towards the blue one, adding a couple of hundred quid to each car after selling it is how I managed to get better cars, Im not used to losing a tonne of money on a car like I have this time tbh.

Driving/cars is the only thing I like/spend money on (except obviously food) if I don't spend money on that and drive an old shitter that really isn't nice (106NAD for example) then I don't really have anything left, as daft as that probably sounds to you guys.

Unfortunately, in February, I got some inheritance, and could do what I'd been wanting to do for ages and couldnt afford it, which was mod the golf for more power, that was a mistake, fun while it lasted but no modded car is reliable, look at any of the big power DTs on here for example, but anyway we live and learn, hopefully.

I can't live within my current means, it simply isn't possible, becasue as I said, living where I do I need a car to get to town to look for jobs/get food/help my Nan's out etc etc. And a car with 60mpg+ was perfect for that.........until it failed of course. And I even said a few weeks back to several people in the chatbox, I need to get rid of it for a HDi while theres still value in it, becuase if anything breaks I can't afford to fix it. People kept telling me I had plenty of time....they were wrong lol.

I don't think you do understand the reliablity thing to be honest, trusting a car to get me home when needed is what I need to get over some of my problems, rather than a car that is likely to have a major breakdown at any point, leaving me stranded somewhere.

And as Ive already said, I can't afford to fuel the cars that I can afford to buy, this is the predicament I'm in.

But Tom as lots of people have said, a modern car is in no way more reliable than something 10 years old. people are under an illusion that if they buy a new car, it will be fine and will never break down once. My girlfriends dad is the same. He buys a 3-4 year old car every other year because "if there any older than that, they become unreliable" he also thinks that over 80k is too high mileage....so he's got a newish avensis.....it's broken down several times now and there he is saying I should get rid of my 306 that's old and unreliable....neither of which have broken down except for running out of fuel and a clutch which had done 90k anyway
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Kent actually speaks alot of sence tom,

personally id look out for an older derv that some granny has owned, I.E dums old estate, an older much cheper derv on say a 52 plate thats done 40k for say £2k has got to be better than say a 58 plate derv with 50-60k for £7-8k ??

Then as kent says save the chance of a few grand for later on in life?

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
I thought the Nad was a perfect car...basic, very cheap to run (tyres, tax, consumable parts) and what's the worst that can happen? It throws a rod and destroys the engine. New one can be in in less than a day and will cost tops £150 and most of that would be fluids!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(11-09-2012, 09:39 AM)Toms306 Wrote: I don't think you do understand the reliablity thing to be honest, trusting a car to get me home when needed is what I need to get over some of my problems, rather than a car that is likely to have a major breakdown at any point, leaving me stranded somewhere.

I do understand the reliability thing mate i got a disabled kid and the last thing i would want is to be broken down with him in the car but im not going to spend a large amount on a new car that could still break down.

The answer to this problem you have is not a new car its therapy
Thanks given by:
Here you go tom, problem solved, low mileage , S/H , reliable engine, loads of MPG ETC and alot cheaper

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-X-Peugeot...v4exp=true

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-Xsara-...v4exp=true

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-PEUGEOT-2...v4exp=true

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
(11-09-2012, 09:45 AM)puglove Wrote: Kent actually speaks alot of sence tom,

personally id look out for an older derv that some granny has owned, I.E dums old estate, an older much cheper derv on say a 52 plate thats done 40k for say £2k has got to be better than say a 58 plate derv with 50-60k for £7-8k ??

Then as kent says save the chance of a few grand for later on in life?

Not sure where you're gonna find any diesel with 40k on a 52 plate for only £2k lol, but I do kinda see your point yeah. However I had a 52plate diesel with full VW service history and stuff for £2k....with 128k miles which was clearly shit lol, but the point is, there aren't any cheap diesels on that kind of milage.

(11-09-2012, 09:47 AM)Niall Wrote: I thought the Nad was a perfect car...basic, very cheap to run (tyres, tax, consumable parts) and what's the worst that can happen? It throws a rod and destroys the engine. New one can be in in less than a day and will cost tops £150 and most of that would be fluids!

Nah I hated the NAD. I actually dreaded going out in it. I couldn't go out in any sort of weather - rain it would lock up as soon as you touched the brakes, wind it'd be all over the place, sun would burn through the sunroof! And I was constantly worrying about what was broken all the time, which tbh was most things lol. It looked shit, drove shit, was uncomfortable and noisy and I kept putting off going out in it unless I really had to, which didn't really help other things much in all honesty. Then the driveshaft broke, which they all seem to on those...it cost like £50 to replace!! Would've been cheaper to replace the shaft on the Golf!* And the broken glowplug that I couldn't get out and made it start/run like shit when cold...my Nan wasn't impressed at all with that in her street!

*The golf has bolted driveshafts, so you dont lose a load of expensive gearbox oil when changing the shaft. Tongue

(11-09-2012, 09:52 AM)Strikeforce Wrote: The answer to this problem you have is not a new car its therapy

I wouldn't disagree.

But I cant get there either without a car!! Dodgy
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fix 306 or get newer Peugeot? MY95 20 3,092 03-01-2016, 03:24 PM
Last Post: Eeyore
  Newer Diesels... Toms306 150 41,165 17-07-2014, 06:57 PM
Last Post: cpikey316_