Newer Cars!?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newer Cars!?
(10-09-2012, 06:26 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: you couldn't explain if you tried . . . . . . .i've known you for enough time now to know that for a fact lol, you're more wishy washy than fairy liquid . . . . in some weird way you want everyone to hate their 306 well it won't work on me i tell ya . . . .Wink

Me either, I spent this weekend on my back, under the car, changing the rear beam as mine is almost dead. So I can refurb mine and swap them back. The GF said, isn't it about time you bought a new car? The brother-in-law said, isn't it about time you bought a new car? The father-in-law said... well, you get the idea. But as I pointed out, I/we can't afford another new car, and, I love my 306. I've had it for years, hardly treated it well (which makes me sad Sad ), and it just keeps going.

My brother-in-law gets cars for a few hundred quid, drives them till they go bang/he runs out of money (usually counted in weeks, not months) and then scraps them and buys another. Consequently he can't see why I want to rebuild the beam on mine rather than just scrapping and buying something cheap again. I tried to point out that a car is cheaper in the long run if you do maintenance on it rather than scrapping it and buying a new one once/twice a month.

Anyway, I digress slightly...

The GF's Puma failed its MOT last week and to be honest it was beyond repair so we are scrapping it (well, donating the engine for a Fiesta sleeper), and we went out last week and bought a lovely little 307 HDi 90 for just under £2k. And, to be fair it feels nice to drive and I almost thought about swapping the 306 for a 307, then realized what I was thinking! Plus, it's the same engine as the later 306's so plenty of parts/info/guides etc.
[Image: 306Green5DrSig.png]
Thanks given by:
(10-09-2012, 06:26 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote:
(10-09-2012, 06:09 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(10-09-2012, 06:04 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: and you're a gimp that sucks off donkeys . . . . .Makeup

I'm not sure whether to bother explaining the reasons to you or not really.

If you can trust a 15 year old pug then good for you.......if I'm aiming to get over certain problems I have atm, I need to have a car I can trust. Also I hope you enjoy paying £200 a year tax, and as Ive already said numerous times, I won't be messing with veg. So a DT would only do what 45-50mpg on diesel anyway. Not to mention the lack of spec and driver aids on an old DT. Dont get me wrong, for what yours cost I can see the attraction, but it's not at all suitable for me. Smile

you couldn't explain if you tried . . . . . . .i've known you for enough time now to know that for a fact lol, you're more wishy washy than fairy liquid . . . . in some weird way you want everyone to hate their 306 well it won't work on me i tell ya . . . .Wink

Erm, what? I don't hate 306s, I also don't want anyone else to hate 306s, I can only assume you're trying to read between lines or something....but trust me I'm not smart enough to write double meanings. I've said why the 306 isn't suitable for me atm.

(10-09-2012, 06:40 PM)vlj Wrote:
(10-09-2012, 05:45 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(10-09-2012, 05:40 PM)vlj Wrote: We have one of these.. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/a...?logcode=p

Autotrader figures say up to 83mpg but I've had it up to 91 on the motorway.
They are tax free and the cost even brand new is -10kish.

The downsides are it seems the steering wheel has no connection to the wheels, the seats are excruciating and the first time you try to figure out how to put it in reverse will leave you screaming

Hmm, not a bad suggestion...but go on then, how'd you get reverse?

Generally they are very good cars extremely economical reasonably cheap to repair (we've had ours for 12k from new and no issues).
You push the entire gear stick towards the floor then move it into reverse, never seen something like that before : [

Erm...you mean like every seat/skoda/vw then....that's the same as the golf lol. Tongue
Thanks given by:
(10-09-2012, 05:53 PM)Scott Wrote: E46 320D?
Volvo C30 diesel?
New shape Megane DCi?

Depends on your budget really...You can pick up the e46 for £4k for a slightly above average one, the other two you'll need around £8k.
Not sure if you saw...
Thanks given by:
i'm outta here, you could drive a Sinclair C5 for all i care . . .Big Grin
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(10-09-2012, 07:20 PM)Scott Wrote:
(10-09-2012, 05:53 PM)Scott Wrote: E46 320D?
Volvo C30 diesel?
New shape Megane DCi?

Depends on your budget really...You can pick up the e46 for £4k for a slightly above average one, the other two you'll need around £8k.
Not sure if you saw...

Missed it with the influx of replies there lol!

320d would be awesome tbh, not sure on thier reliability and stuff though.
Thanks given by:
Don't get a 320D, apparently they have major turbo issues?

If you want a reliable car, get chatting to an RAC or AA mechanic. I'd say they have the best idea of the issues joe average has with standard cars..
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
They probably do, but they'll also be bias based on cars they themselves are commonly called out to.

Good point about the turbos. I seem to remember something about the engine munching its swirl flaps too?
Thanks given by:
that was it..

Thanks given by:
Okay, scratch that then lol

I really like the look of the new meganes. A guy at work had a 10 plate RS megane, he's just come in today in a white 62 plate RS. Lucky git. His wife works for Renault I believe. Anyway, it's sexual, and I may steal his brakes on my lunch break one day.
Thanks given by:
Again, if you just want a reliable diesel get a Rover CDTi - BMW engine and electronics - a 320d without the price tag...

Tbh it makes no sense you getting a qualification in mechanics if you don't want to fix anything? Buying a car on credit (even from family) is 100% the wrong option here, fact.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
maybe this will help

[Image: little-tikes-grand-coupe-car-22-p%5Bekm%5D300x286%5Bekm%5D.gif]
Thanks given by:
Being able to fix things is extremely different to being able to afford to fix things Chris. I really enjoy going to sams and fixing his cars.....but I can't afford to fix my own! Sad as it sounds, I enjoyed swapping my turbo.....I didnt enjoy the 500 quid disappearing....
Thanks given by:
(10-09-2012, 08:08 PM)cully Wrote: maybe this will help

[Image: little-tikes-grand-coupe-car-22-p%5Bekm%5D300x286%5Bekm%5D.gif]

Very well suited for toms mental age Tongue

You know we love you really tom Big Grin

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
(10-09-2012, 08:10 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Being able to fix things is extremely different to being able to afford to fix things Chris. I really enjoy going to sams and fixing his cars.....but I can't afford to fix my own! Sad as it sounds, I enjoyed swapping my turbo.....I didnt enjoy the 500 quid disappearing....
That's fair enough mate. I've got a few things that need doing, and while I won't mind doing them (or making bacon sandwiches and getting Grant/Niall to do them Tongue ) I don't enjoy the spending money that goes with it!

What sort of time frame are you looking at by the way mate?
Thanks given by:
TOM FFS LISTEN TO YOURSELF!

You need a cheap mode of transport. You can fix cars. The golf is an issue cos you can't afford to fix it. Any new car will be the same or worse. A complete XUD engine can be picked up for as little as £40-50. And you know enough mechanics (or bloody well should do) to do anything on an XUD, and it's all done with hammers and spanners, not electrics so you can do it all on your drive. Bosch, Veg, 20psi, and you will be happy.

Thanks given by:
Yeah but the Golf had 180bhp and a vnt and a trip computer AND it did 65mpg all at once! An XUD simply is not good enough...
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
The he is truly a lost cause.

Thanks given by:
Somehow I made a huge first post and missed out half the info lol.

Timescale is next few months, I'm still looking for an immediate stop gap (possibly a 306) but then gonna look for something else.....I think, or maybe not at all,I still don't really know lol.

Jonny I can't do xud....mechanical injection is too difficult, no where to plug my galetto or scan tool. Tongue
Thanks given by:
(10-09-2012, 08:30 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Jonny I can't do xud....mechanical injection is too difficult, no where to plug my galetto or scan tool. Tongue

MTFU, they're dead simple in the early stages of tunung

Thanks given by:
(10-09-2012, 08:30 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Jonny I can't do xud....mechanical injection is too difficult, no where to plug my galetto or scan tool. Tongue

i can think of somewhere to put it . . .:p
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(10-09-2012, 08:33 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote:

MTFU, they're dead simple in the early stages of tunung

Tuning? Hell no, not after the golf! Lesson has been learnt. Wink

(10-09-2012, 08:33 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote:

i can think of somewhere to put it . . .:p

Haha, I can probably guess Tongue
Thanks given by:
(10-09-2012, 08:33 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: i can think of somewhere to put it . . .:p

bumder.

Thanks given by:
Tuning an XUD isn't any harder than loading a new map onto an HDi. There's a lot less to go wrong and a lot less potential expense if it does go wrong.
Thanks given by:
(10-09-2012, 08:41 PM)Scott Wrote: Tuning an XUD isn't any harder than loading a new map onto an HDi. There's a lot less to go wrong and a lot less potential expense if it does go wrong.

exactly my point!

Thanks given by:
Tbf I probably wouldn't map a hdi either.....will leave it slow and reliable. Boring I know.
Thanks given by:
don't f*cking tune it then! but i refer to my above post, regardless.

Thanks given by:
Well if you're not tuning then an XUD is still best imo. You don't need to worry about failing lift pumps or limp mode. You'll might have issues with the stop solenoid, but there's not a hell of a lot else that might go wrong, with the exception of chronic engine failure caused by a conrod making a bid for freedom.
Thanks given by:
i changed an xud loom and alternator in about 20 mins the other day, it consists of about 3 essential wires.

and they are reliable as fook if you get a half decent one

Thanks given by:
tom you have posted this sort of thing before pal, for god sake just buy a practical classic end of story.
infact buy a mk5 cortina estate! bags of room, able to pull a tralier and a come in a 1.6 pinto engine!
Thanks given by:
(10-09-2012, 05:56 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: i usually resist posting in Tom's threads because they bore me shitless . .this is no different but and quote " its not a car you buy with your brain"

seriously really? . . .i paid 350 quid for mine got the cambelt changed and other than the normal droplinks balljoints whatever i've had 2 years of trouble free motoring, running on veg, pissing all over other peoples MPG figures because of the price of fuel, she's got a nice stage 1 tune that i did myself, results below in my sig, and i get a lot of nice comments from people who see her and ride in her . .
i mean obviously people that own 306's are gonna bite at your comments a bit but why must you talk such total bullshit all the time? . . i assume it's the only way you can get an answer of some form, because you can't be sensible yourself, i know i always give you shit mate but you bring it on yourself, i fcuking love my 306 and i can't wait to get a TD04 slapped on and have even more fun, but i guess that means i don't have a brain when it comes to buying cars . . . . .oh, hang on a minute, i'm not the one with a fubarred piece of VAG crap on the drive though am i? . . . . . .hmmmmm makes you think doesn't it x lol

Well said.

(10-09-2012, 06:11 PM)c.a.r. Wrote: Have a look at some of the shed posts on pistonheads, that's any car which costs a bag of sand or less. Some are incredible. You do not want to spend thousands on a car you can't afford, it will be a massive mistake.

Shed of the week is awesome, I spend every Friday morning in shock at what you can get for a grand. Remember the E32 750iL? V12 with MOT for less than a grand? Smile

And Tom, I really despair of your thought process. You got an over-complicated modern car, absolutely emptied your savings for it and it turned out to be a liability. So now you want to blow your nans cash on something else over-complicated? Don't you learn?
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fix 306 or get newer Peugeot? MY95 20 3,093 03-01-2016, 03:24 PM
Last Post: Eeyore
  Newer Diesels... Toms306 150 41,191 17-07-2014, 06:57 PM
Last Post: cpikey316_