Shortest Car Ownership EVER!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shortest Car Ownership EVER!!
Tom most mechanics will do it for a drink.
Car most people wouldnt want you doing things like that on their driveway tbh if you were looking at a car.

And tom you would be a bit unfair to give him bad feedback. If he genuinely didnt know (which he seems like i didn't) then its not his fault. these things happen unfortunately
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I didn't buy it through eBay anyway lol, so no feedback probs there. He's now changed the Ad to a spares (or rather 'spears') and repair now anyway. He's apparently selling it for a mate who hadn't informed of the problem.

I'm genuinely surprised how little car you get for your money these days though, I know I'm only looking reasonably locally (within about 60 miles of Ipswich town centre) but theres bugger all about under £1500 thats driveable and taxed and tested!

This 406 is over near Sam's though, so might ask him to look over it for me......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-PEUGEOT-4...3cca69ce6e
Thanks given by:
used car prices went up a few years back when people started getting pay cuts and realised they could no longer afford to lease a new car every 3 years!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(08-09-2012, 12:46 PM)Niall Wrote: used car prices went up a few years back when people started getting pay cuts and realised they could no longer afford to lease a new car every 3 years!

And the scrappage scheme lost us a lot of used cars as well I suppose. Undecided
Thanks given by:
yeah that was a bit shit really. some really good cars with nothing wrong with them being crushed that still had years left in them. And were supposed to be being more eco friendly as a country?
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Sacrilegious seeing a white and red rallye in the scrappers that they HAVE to break and can't sell the car Undecided
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(08-09-2012, 12:55 PM)4WayDiablo Wrote: Sacrilegious seeing a white and red rallye in the scrappers that they HAVE to break and can't sell the car Undecided

At least they weren't 6s though! Big Grin

But yeah I totally agree with you and Niall, really wasn't such a great idea tbh!
Thanks given by:
it was for figures on paper, not so much for eco friendliness...well depends how you look at it. At least they got loads of high polluting (despite the fact a 6 isnt actually that bad on emissions) off the road to make room for all these 99g/co2 or less eco shit boxes
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Pfft, high polluting? Speak for yourself! My diesel is (well, was) nice and clean anyway.....Only band E emmisions. Wink Good job they don't go on NOx or soot levels though haha. Big Grin

Some of these newer small petrols that barely pay tax aren't actually too bad, but what they clearly didnt realise is that if people could afford to buy a new car, they would've done anyway, probably without the 2k incentive (lets face it you can probably barter that off a new car anyway!)......so it didn't get the really shit old OZone killing cars off the road cos the owners simply couldn't afford anything better! Stupid scheme really.
Thanks given by:
You know that a massive amount of cars from the scrapage scheme weren't scrapped, there's a few air fields across the UK with literally thousands of cars just sat there
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Just seen this.......anyone know it? Looks alright, probably not particularly close though, autotrader locations seem to be shite lol.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/a...?logcode=p
Thanks given by:
RIGHT!!!!

I've literally not got anywhere in the last few days. The distance problem isn't gonna go away overnight, and theres f*ck all close enough. If anyone has a HDi they're selling with tax and test in decent condition, preferably DTurbo or Meridian, not really after pov spec, and would be able to deliver it for me (at a price ofc) tomorow or monday at a push then PM me please. Getting a bit desperate now, need to get about again to earn some money and to get the ball rolling with breaking the golf, as well as other things!! Any help apprecited, cheers.
Thanks given by:
Spend the car money on fixing the golf, sell the golf for 2.5k, get a decent hdi.

You don't NEED a car if you're not at college or work, surely?

Are none of the ones I linked you to any good? Some of those are very close to you!
Thanks given by:
(08-09-2012, 04:21 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: Spend the car money on fixing the golf, sell the golf for 2.5k, get a decent hdi.

You don't NEED a car if you're not at college or work, surely?

Are none of the ones I linked you to any good? Some of those are very close to you!

I DO work lol, just not at a 'proper' job. And I'm losing out on that atm. Would've got £50 tomorow as well but not without a car, plus I missed out on Friday as well, plus Sam would've most probably paid me for fixing the HDi clutch by now...and I could've been driving that if the f*cking Golf hadn't shit itself so soon! Plus I kinda need to get food and stuff lol..... Was bloody useful to have that vectra for a while yesterday, without it I'd have had literally no food lol. Plus how am I supposed to look for another car without transport, or go to Doc's or other important places I really should be focussing on more than fixing a car if you know what I mean!

I usually do ~300 miles a week, they're not leisure miles trust me! I've no idea where this forum assuption that I sit on my arse all day comes from tbh lol, cos I really dont! It's the wonders of WiFi that allow me to be on here so often. Tongue

And I'm not being funny...those car's arent close at all....they're close to you lol, Cambridge is about 1.5hrs away from here. Right now I don't think I could even leave Ipswich town to get one, didn't realise how bad things have got, but they have and I can't change that right now.......and it won't change till I can get about again.
Thanks given by:
(08-09-2012, 06:15 AM)Toms306 Wrote:
(08-09-2012, 04:27 AM)procta Wrote: tom you mean to tell me that a parent or a step parent wont help you out when looking at a car?

No, my step dad knows bugger all about cars, but he's always at work anyway. My Rad knows even less, assuming he's still alive.....not heard from him in a month or so....

My mum will take me to view a local car (shes not driving far as she's waiting for a hospital op) but she doesn't know anything at all about cars except the colour lol.

So who else do you suggest I take?

And lol stevieg and birk, clearly mine wasn't the shortest ownership then lol.

you could ask another member of family? or even ask one of the lads off here to view a car for you if its a far away, or ask a local fourm mate?
Thanks given by:
Don't have any other family lol, except my nans, but they're probably not gonna be much help. Tongue
Thanks given by:
I'll give you a tip for finding cheap motors to get you around for a while. Main dealer part exchange. Usually taxed and tested, cheap because they want rid, don't valet or do any work on them and give no guarantees. I've had loads of cheap cars like that, for example:

306 STDT - £600, 10 months tax and test, great runner.
Calibra 16v - £250, 6 months tax and test, never gave me a problem in 4 months.
Frontera Sport - £250 write-off for a dented wing, 8 month test, never gave me a problem in 5 months.
Corsa 1.7D - £500, full MOT, needed a clutch in 9 months.

There's a few more but the latest is my XRDT. £250, 4 month tax and test, Bosch pump. Needed a radiator but just done 1000 miles in a week no problem.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Main dealer? They never seem to have cheap px round here, they (i will assume they all do, I know ford and Pug do as I've seen cars with manheim written on them and was told that's where they were going lol, even decent looking cars worth like 4k, mondeo st 220 and stuff when I worked at ford) send them all to manheim (massive auction in colchester) where smaller dealers buy them and inflate the price lol. Undecided
Thanks given by:
Don't buy the shit on the forecourt, ask them what they've took in part-ex they need to shift!
Thanks given by:
(09-09-2012, 10:25 AM)Rippthrough Wrote: Don't buy the shit on the forecourt, ask them what they've took in part-ex they need to shift!

This.

They usually don't advertise them or even put prices on them. Ask if they've got any part exchange cars round the back, if they've got anything you like make a daft offer. Usually they say yes because it's much quicker and easier than sending them to auction...

How else could I have got a succession of half-decent cars with tax and test for less than 300 quid?
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Reflections after 6 months ownership oldboy 5 3,003 23-04-2019, 10:48 AM
Last Post: Magenta Sunset
  Reflections after 6 months ownership oldboy 2 1,809 11-03-2019, 10:40 PM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Might be leaving Peugeot ownership lewisdmz 14 2,994 02-08-2014, 10:24 PM
Last Post: toseland