URGENT:cylinder head removal

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
URGENT:cylinder head removal
Need some advice, I can't seem to get the head off the block. All bolts are out, are there any other bolts that need to be removed? One end of the head will lift slightly but the engine mount side won't budge..
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Theres a locating dowel in the engine mount arm, need to remove the whole arm before the head will lift off. It contains the spring for the tensioner tho so mind not to lose it!
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Don't need to remove that whole bracket, the stud that the cambelt cover bolts into is also a big bolt, remove that and inside of that is the dowel, use a I think m8 or m10 bolt and a feckoff washer, screw it in and the dowel should release.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Ok I see what you mean, I don't think I have a long enough bolt to hand though Sad

So when I get a bolt do I just put it in the hole and keep tightening it til it comes out?
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
So I have had a good look, I'm guessing there is two different threads in the hole, M8 further in for the normal bolt, then M10 at the start which I'm guessing is the part that needs to come out?
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Got hold of a bolt big enough, but when I put it in the dowel just starts turning with the bolt.. tried putting a nut on the bolt, but not enough room to get a spanner in to turn it. How hard is it to remove the bracket? Guessing I have to remove the bottom pulley to then remove the whole cambelt cover?

O I wish there was someone who lived close to me who could help Sad
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
if its just turning with the dowel, then pull the bolt out... the dowel should come with....
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Tried, won't budge..
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
(30-08-2012, 10:25 PM)Ricky Wrote: Guessing I have to remove the bottom pulley to then remove the whole cambelt cover?

You'll have to take off the camshaft sprocket as well mate, so the cambelt will need taking off
Thanks given by:
Why does the sprocket need to come off?
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
If memory serves me correctly, it's bolted into the side of the head! Could be a reason why, as you say, its not lifting up on that side.

I think you'd be better off dropping out the engine mount out, just support the engine from the sump. Timing belt tensioner will have to removed as well, so it'll make your life easier.
Thanks given by:
Cambelt is off, well to one side anyway.. as far as I know everything is off that needs to be off, apart from this stupid dowel!

Do you mean the bracket is bolted to the head?
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Cam pulley doesnt need to come off at all, just get a bolt the right size and follow ruans and daves instructions and you cant go wrong
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(31-08-2012, 06:40 PM)CJ_Derv Wrote: Cam pulley doesnt need to come off at all, just get a bolt the right size and follow ruans and daves instructions and you cant go wrong

Got a little bracket I put together to try and pull it out with an M10 bolt, if it doesn't come out it looks like I'm gonna have to remove the whole bracket which I really really wanted to avoid..
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
I just get a 18mm spanner and jam it in sideways and lever the bolt and dowel out, some of them can be a real bitch to get out
Thanks given by:
Bolt in dowel, balljoint splitter on the bolt, get er done everytime !
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Ok finally got it out, when real tight until it suddenly just popped free.

[Image: IMAG0203.jpg]

Cheers for all your help guys Smile
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cylinder head manni surface sanding 306Puggy 9 3,030 05-08-2020, 03:11 PM
Last Post: ekjdm14
  the more robust engine cylinder head niciou 4 1,669 03-07-2016, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Dave