Serious thread...Baby's middle name

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Serious thread...Baby's middle name
Right, at the end of my tether now, would like some impartial advice from people who don't know me from Adam...

Baby is due soon, we decided not long after we found we were having a little girl that we would call her Florence, a name we both liked.

Middle name has only just come about, 2 months before baby is here. Normally we are in agreement with everything, but this is causing friction which I'm frankly getting bored of.

So

My suggestion - Use my mothers middle name. My mum is suffering from a terminal illness and will play a very small part in our childs' upbringing. She probably won't be around long enough to see her go to secondary school (possibly sooner than that). I thought this was a nice gesture PLUS Florence-Ann kind of flows well and sounds good.

Her idea - instantly hostile, if we use my mothers name then her mum will get jealous. This is obviously unacceptable. Therefore we should double-barrel the middle name, using both her mums' and mine. The middle name is Jane.

My opinion,

I have one first name, one middle name and one surname. I'm not from a broken family, irish family nor have I at any point changed my name. I'm traditional in thinking that you should have just one of each of your names!

I feel like I'm being unreasonable.

Why shouldn't I want her mums' middle name?
Well, she's a terrible, terrible role-model. Married 3 times, has not made an effort to meet my parents (seriously, wtf) cheated on my girlfriends dad whilst married to him, drinks excessively, etc. She's a nice enough woman to me, but not the kind of person I want my child to look up to.

Just wondering what your stand on this would be from an entirely mutual point of view?
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
to stop the my name her name argument here we used
for our daughter we used first name/wifes middlename/family name
for our son we used first name/my middle name/family name

just remember the child will have to live with the name so eveyone will have to get used to it
you wont please everyone where family's are concerned
Thanks given by:
Trouble I have with that Cully is...

That would make it Florence Daisy.
Florence meaning "flowering"
Daisy meaning "Day's eye. A flower name"

It's just a bit to flower-y!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
Thanks given by:
Or you could use a middle name from neither of your mothers, then the pivot of the argument has been removed?
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
That's the route I'm now going down. Easier to ignore the gesture altogether and avoid argument to be honest!

She was always complaining how I had no input / interest in picking a name so then when I made a suggestion she went mental!
Thanks given by:
Tbh I'd go with a double middle, I can see what she is saying about it being unfair and can sympathise with that.
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Ive got 2 middle names... just do one of each imo
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
And where were you born, Ed - much to the hilarity of some waitress in 'Spoons....
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I also have 2 middle names, just use both.
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
(24-08-2012, 11:53 AM)Ed Doe Wrote: Ive got 2 middle names... just do one of each imo

double barreled something like Tap-Tap ?
Thanks given by:
My vote is use your mothers name, surely she can understand why you want to
Thanks given by:
I don't have a middle name...my Dad's family 'didn't believe in them' apparently. I've just got a double barrel surname. But then my two cousins have both got mouthfuls!

Beverly Celia Weakford Cowell (Auntie/Nan/other Nan's maiden)
Jai Aloysius Lennon Weakford Cowell (Couldn't pick a bloody first name!)

I know they're only middle names, but just think about it Wink

You could always solve it and spell Ann with an 'E'? Then it's not directly related to your mum. Or just go for something different, then you'll both be happy.
[Image: kim.png]
Thanks given by:
(24-08-2012, 11:54 AM)Ruan Wrote: And where were you born, Ed - much to the hilarity of some waitress in 'Spoons....

FUUUUUU

Tortola, British Virgin Islands...

/awaits trolling

(24-08-2012, 12:13 PM)cully Wrote: double barreled something like Tap-Tap ?

Edward Thomas Vaughan Doe actually...
Could've been worse; I'd had been debating changing my surname, as one of the bloodlines in our family will end with my Great Aunt, so I was considering taking on her name; Powell-Price.... Edward Thomas Vaughan Powell-Price...

/awaits further trolling...
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
my god ed.

Anyway, i do actually agree with chris. She should understand the gesture and me mature about it. Would be my opinion, but i dont know the girl.

Maybe try a sneak attack and use your mums middle name?
Team - Inappropriate Footwear. Member 1 of 3.

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)
3. Fooby's Company Pool Car

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
I went to school in a posh village (not mine!) and several of the kids there had 2,3 even 4 middle names lol. I'd go for both tbh. Smile
Thanks given by:
f*ck her couch, my mum died from cancer and if I wanted to do what you want to do, then it would happen, surely your missis should understand that?
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Liam.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
I don't have a middle name like Kim, more so cause nothing really went with my last name and none of my family have any... If anything, I like not having a middle name lol or as Cully said, middle names parents names,, that's what I'd do personally
Thanks given by:
My two middle names are my grandads names. Do something like that?
Ed I will be talking to you with your full name from now on Big Grin
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
You should go with you're mothers name, i dont understand how her mother could really be jealous as she will be in you're daughters life for many many years where as with you're mum sadly wont be Sad
If anything i would feel like you're mum would be more jealous of the situation really

Look at it this way her mother will be in you're daughters life for decades which is a blessing in its own, and you're daughter will always be reminded of her /gran/nan with it being her name and all
Thanks given by:
Having the same argument with are lass. Babies name is going to be Alfie Carter I wanted his middle name to be Thomas after me but she wants it to be Longley that's her last name. No one else has her surname in her family and she never met her dad so I feel its of no importance.

But yea no middle name now just Alfie Carter.
Thanks given by:
Serious thread? You know who your asking riiight? Hahah
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Not having read this whole thread

Ann-Jane dosent go so leave that alone.

If your birds mum has made no effort to meet yours then surely she dosent know your mums name.

also IMO theres not alot that goes with florence so ann is a good bet.
Thanks given by:
Quite a helpful thread actually. Saved me a lot of research for filling out Ed's death cirtificate...
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Having 2 middle name's isn't unheard of, at all. I'd do it given the predicament.

(24-08-2012, 03:04 PM)306carter Wrote: Having the same argument with are lass. Babies name is going to be Alfie Carter I wanted his middle name to be Thomas after me but she wants it to be Longley that's her last name. No one else has her surname in her family and she never met her dad so I feel its of no importance.

But yea no middle name now just Alfie Carter.

Are you's married or such? Personally I'd be thinking of ways such a simple thing can leave you open to exploitation later on..

My mate had his daughter named after him with the middle name being picked by the mother since they're not married that way she's got what she wants now and if they go sour after a few years the kid has his surname.
Thanks given by:
I'm not trying to sound harsh in any way & I agree with your reasoning & think it's a great idea..

But, just be careful with things like bullying factors, I can imagine a child getting the piss ripped for years Florence Annd the machine?

I think a double barrelled would be fine, your reasoning is very valid, my middle name (Gary!!) Is after a mid 80s radio dj! Sad
Thanks given by:
Sleep with her mum. No way she'll want to be reminded of that every time she fills out forms, job done.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(25-08-2012, 09:50 AM)Poodle Wrote: Sleep with her mum. No way she'll want to be reminded of that every time she fills out forms, job done.

Rofl
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Baby on the way, time for an estate! But which one? tombh7 9 2,294 29-06-2014, 10:04 PM
Last Post: Uberderv
  Baby car seat! cpikey316_ 21 18,630 12-03-2014, 05:37 AM
Last Post: patrick
Wink RE-Employed BABY!!!! JamesG 9 2,907 11-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Last Post: JamesG