cheap car or money pit?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cheap car or money pit?
Wink 
well just bought a cheap 306 diesel turbo on a t plate.its a 3 door in silver in okay condition got a couple of months mot but no tax!it was a bargin price so i couldnt say no even though i dont need it and have no space! .belonged to a bloke who had to give up driving due to illness.been sat on his drive for about 3 months so theres a few things it needs.
first job was to try to get it to start.
so checked levels and all good
the battery had been taken off and the seller told me it was scrap so i turned up with a battery but no joy.as you guys will know the positive terminal screws onto the battery but the screw thing was misssing,but connected it with a jump lead and it fired up first time.[result]
the car wouldnt move as the brakes where siezed on as it had been left with the handbrake on so a couple of taps with the hammer and its rolling.
the problems/faults are
clutch pedal very stiff[might free up with use or something else]
drivers side electric window moves about 2 mm
exhaust missing from about the center back but its not noisey
trim missing off front wing
front discs rusty
so the plans are to sort out a exhaust get some tax on it take it for a mot and see what happens.its got 2 months mot at the moment,
so with buying a exhaust,tax,swapping the insurance the costs are stacking up already and as its a 3 door and i really want a 5 door i might end up scrapping/selling it.
also its got a sony x player type cd player that i cant work out how to switch on!
Thanks given by:
well sorted the window it was jamming in the runner.
worked out how to switch the radio on
the exhaust is missing the back box but it has been cut off so need the center section as well.
Thanks given by:
doesn't sound like there's much up with it, all standard issue 306 stuff, the clutches are heavy by the way, ebay, scrapyard and on here for cheep parts and you should be well away . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
i have a dturbo midbox if it's any use to you?
[Image: ForumSignature.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(08-08-2012, 04:36 AM)JamesG Wrote: i have a dturbo midbox if it's any use to you?

how much please
Thanks given by:
yeah i've got as spare full system if you need any bits cheep, located near Doncaster . .Smile PM me
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
tried pming you but I'll say £15 collected
Thanks given by:
I havent bothered putting a thread up of whats wrong with mine as i think it would crash the site HAHA

thats minor stuff pal

just keep the love for the 306 Smile
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
i have a full system from my old car i broke, all solid, you can have any of the pieces for 10 pounds each, including the decat pipe! . . Smile

as i said i'm near Doncaster and Rotherham.

you need to turn on Private messaging as well
Thanks given by:
Offtopic,but James your signature is massive mate!
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
how do i turn on messaging?
been into my profile and next to private message its just blank
iam not good with computers!
Thanks given by:
click on "user CP" . (top left there) and then "edit options" about half way down, al the options are there . Smile
Thanks given by:
(08-08-2012, 10:42 AM)Kezzieboy Wrote: Offtopic,but James your signature is massive mate!

Yeah I need to change it can't do it on the phone though!
Thanks given by:
(08-08-2012, 11:05 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: click on "user CP" . (top left there) and then "edit options" about half way down, al the options are there . Smile

right ive done this and the box that says recive pms from other users was already ticked,but i deleted it then reticked it.i then tried to send a pm but a message pops up saying iam not allowed to send pms.
do i need to have so many posts first? or am i missing something.
Thanks given by:
(08-08-2012, 10:18 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: i have a full system from my old car i broke, all solid, you can have any of the pieces for 10 pounds each, including the decat pipe! . . Smile

would that fit a 1.6 petrol? if so i might be intrested in it
Thanks given by:
(08-08-2012, 04:09 PM)bighead02 Wrote:
(08-08-2012, 10:18 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: i have a full system from my old car i broke, all solid, you can have any of the pieces for 10 pounds each, including the decat pipe! . . Smile

would that fit a 1.6 petrol? if so i might be intrested in it

which part mate? . .Smile
Thanks given by:
I'm not reading any of this thread but being on my 4th 306 I can tell you its a money pit, never a bargain!
[Image: signiture.jpg]
Midnightclub Wrote:All the cool kids have ph 2 Nile 6's!
Thanks given by:
Rofl

Cars = money pits. End of argument.

Back on topic: get some pics up fella!
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

pics
i cant even send a pm!
Thanks given by:
booked it in for a mot later so we will see what happens
Thanks given by:
well it failed but its not to bad
indicators flashing white
front discs worn
nearside brake hose deteriorated
offside brakepipe corroded
and exhaust blowing
think the only problem is going to be the brake pipes.
so quite pleased

cant get me pm to work but will have the exhaust off you as you only up the road.
can you email me as i think thats working
cheers
Thanks given by:
well good and strange today
the good
fitted new discs went smooth apart from those stupid torx grub screws that i had fun with so then started on the exhaust.
i needed a center section and a rear box and bought a 2nd hand section that came with a back box that had a hole in it so bought a new back box.separated the old back box and fitted the center section that went on with no proplems.but when i came to fit my new back box its about 2 inches short of the rear bumper!
so thinking the shop had sold me the wrong back box i measured the old one and they are the same size!
so then i thought i had fitted the center part wrong but its a flange fitting so will only fit in one place
the only thing i can think off is the center section is to short maybe came of a early or later model than mine
any one else with any ideas?
Thanks given by:
(15-08-2012, 09:56 PM)omega Wrote: well good and strange today
the good
fitted new discs went smooth apart from those stupid torx grub screws that i had fun with so then started on the exhaust.
i needed a center section and a rear box and bought a 2nd hand section that came with a back box that had a hole in it so bought a new back box.separated the old back box and fitted the center section that went on with no proplems.but when i came to fit my new back box its about 2 inches short of the rear bumper!
so thinking the shop had sold me the wrong back box i measured the old one and they are the same size!
so then i thought i had fitted the center part wrong but its a flange fitting so will only fit in one place
the only thing i can think off is the center section is to short maybe came of a early or later model than mine
any one else with any ideas?

it is off an older one than yours mate, but more importantly it is from my old car which didn't have the bumper cutout, i'm now assuming yours has the bumper cutout? . . .lol . . . . they come with or without on new and old ones . .Smile
Thanks given by:
no mine dosnt have a bumper cut out
maybe that is what i was doing wrong e.g putting the back box so the end was sticking out level with the bumper when it fits under the bumper.will have another look tonight.
Thanks given by:
(16-08-2012, 05:30 AM)omega Wrote: no mine dosnt have a bumper cut out
maybe that is what i was doing wrong e.g putting the back box so the end was sticking out level with the bumper when it fits under the bumper.will have another look tonight.

yeah, they are hidden behind the bumper the downswept ones mate . . . .Smile
Thanks given by:
well decided to tackle the brake pipe before i got the exhaust on as this means there is more room to attack the flexi brake hose.i had soaked the fittings with some duck oil the night before to give me a chance.well the nuts came undone nice and easy but it took me ages to get the retaining clip out.ive also looked at the metal brake pipes and was not happy with them so will hopefull find somewhere tomorrow to make me new pipes up
Thanks given by:
well got the brake pipes fitted but havnt got a small enough for spanner for the bleed nipples.think they are 7mm as my 8 is to big so off to halfords to get one.think i might need some wheel cylinders as the nipples look well rusty will see what happens.
Thanks given by:
a bit of a struggle with the nipples but in the end everything worked out and brakes are bleed up with a nice hard pedal.the exhaust is still fighting me as managed to tear the exhaust rubber when fitting the silencer.i think its because the new one the mounting arms are slightly lower and the old rubbers didnt want to stretch that far!
so hopefull will get it sorted tomorrow.
Thanks given by:
keep at her mate you'll get there . .Smile
Thanks given by:
well the exhaust fought me all the all the way
what ever i did the back box wouldnt aline with the hanger on the car.after messing about for ages i noticed the hanger was bolted to the rear of the car.so i thought if i unbolt it i can put some washers behind it to bring it closer to the rearbox.its bolted on with 2 13mm bolts and the first one came of easy but the other one snapped after about 8 turns with no warning,these bolts are captive bolts as well so i was not happy.anyway went to the shed and got Mr Big heavey hammer and bashed the mounting straight then bolted the bracket back with just one bolt and all seams good.
booked in for the retest on thursday.
Thanks given by: