Which Turbo??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Turbo??
I know many will have probably asked this a million times on here, BUT wondering if can get enough opinions to make up my own mind about which turbo to keep on or put on this weekend..

Options atm are
1. Garrett T2 ( has very slight play in shaft which i believe is ok)
2. KKK K14 already fitted

Now the K14 after nipping the intake manifold up till i fit new gasket hit 28psi last night but manifold is still leaking

T2 hasnt ran over 24psi on the Blaze i had on Modded Bosch pump

Any opinions welcome just want to know which to go for untill i source another TD04 or similar as TD04 had hidden damage inside so gone back

Cheers

CJ
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
T2 is the one most people recommend but tbh if anything i'd say k14 is just as good and just as durable, i know people have had them at 30'odd psi for quite some time before they've gone pop
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
K14 is the "biggest" turbo...

IMO it'll produce the most power on an XUD... For the best compromise between response and power, the T2 is generally accepted as the best turbo... Also because of the wastegate design, it's easier to eliminate creep at high pressures...

I personally wouldn't change one for the other, the advantages of one or the other barely outweigh the ballache of changing it... If it possibly has shaft play, I wouldn't bother, you'll kick yourself if you blow it... As said, I made 146shp and 250flb.ft with a K14....

There's other restrictions on these engines that need fixing before instantly branding a turbocharger as "shit" like some people do...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(25-07-2012, 02:15 PM)Ruan Wrote: K14 is the "biggest" turbo...

IMO it'll produce the most power on an XUD... For the best compromise between response and power, the T2 is generally accepted as the best turbo... Also because of the wastegate design, it's easier to eliminate creep at high pressures...

I personally wouldn't change one for the other, the advantages of one or the other barely outweigh the ballache of changing it... If it possibly has shaft play, I wouldn't bother, you'll kick yourself if you blow it... As said, I made 146shp and 250flb.ft with a K14....

There's other restrictions on these engines that need fixing before instantly branding a turbocharger as "shit" like some people do...

Cheers Ruan i think im going to stick with the K14 as should only be a month or so til get a TD04 or equiv sorted Smile

I think ive eliminated the possibility of a hose leak as nipped intake bolts a tad without being able to get my stupidly huge forarms behind the engine until this weekend. i would imagine there would be significant signs from a leak ie slight oil slick etc

But will be sticking with K14 have got MBC on now so should be all good with new gasket aslike mentioned pulled reasonably well at 28psi til i heard the manifold go a bit then bellowed black out so backed off at 4k lol

CJ
Thanks given by:
Did you have to drop the engine forward to get to the manifold bolts? Are they an allen key or? Planning on taking turbo & manifold off a car tomorrow so would be helpful to know!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(26-07-2012, 05:24 PM)silverzx Wrote: Did you have to drop the engine forward to get to the manifold bolts? Are they an allen key or? Planning on taking turbo & manifold off a car tomorrow so would be helpful to know!

Best take it of the mounts and drop forward slightly. You mainly need the room to get the turbo out

Usually 5.5mm Allen keys iirc?
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Havent got round to changine it but 5.5 or 6mm alen keys iirc and 13nuts on the turbo and ends of my manifold
Thanks given by:
Cheers lads!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by: