xud wastegate flutter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
xud wastegate flutter
Hi guys n gals out there just wondering if its possible to get waste gate flutter n how u can do
Cheers
Thanks given by:
no because it doesn't exist.....................there is no such thing as wastegate chatter..................

/thread
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
turbo chatter perhaps??

THIS is what you don't want; it's the backflow from harsh turbo spool. You almost stall the turbo, it damages the blades and generally makes you look a douchebag
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
which is the noise of the turbo's compressor stalling as the compressed air from the intake system exits via the turbo due to the decrease in demand from the engine leaving it nowhere else to go....................

but as above, it breaks things and is generally a bad sound to have!
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Soo say the OP wants to look a tit... Whats the best way to get this noise that is known by so many different names?
Thanks given by:
(24-07-2012, 02:57 PM)tomw1123 Wrote: Soo say the OP wants to look a tit... Whats the best way to get this noise that is known by so many different names?

by running the turbo massively out of its efficiency range and killing it..........
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
And generally having completely defilter helps. Well if you call it help..
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Known by many different names by people of varying states of idiocy/denial/dribblyism...

Including Jeremy Clarkson infact - numerous times I've heard him say "wastegates chirping/fluttering/chattering" - normally I'm to be found on the receiving end of the television shouting about what a moron he is.

It's Compressor Surge - it's where the airflow demand isn't enough for the shaft speed assembly, causing the airflow to become unstable over the tips of the compressor blades, causing the distinctive noise heard when A. The throttle snaps shut on a petrol - causing the airflow demand to suddenly stop, B. The revs drop very quickly on a boosted diesel - causing the airflow demand to suddenly stop or C. On the throttle, where the engine is spinning too slowly - therefore not much airflow demand/capability with the turbo shaft spinning too slowly - (on throttle surge is HIGHLY damaging to the turbocharger in ANY situation)

It doesn't do any turbocharger any good even if you're off the throttle - people will tell you it's fine, but essentially it's the sound of the air being unstable and not flowing correctly through the compressor wheel, it causes very high axial, torsional and thrust loads on the shaft and compressor, depending on what speed the compressor shaft is rotating at, the worse it becomes. A recirculating or normal blow off/dump/faggot valve will alleviate these problems on a *PETROL* as a general rule, however in some cases, even relieving the pressure cannot stop the noise - on the throttle surge is only fixable either by A. lifting the throttle a bit, or B. getting the correctly sized turbocharger...

You cannot fix this coming off the throttle on a Diesel due to the instantaneous response needed...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Ahh, ive been running last few days without the air filter connected from above intake manifold. it sounds as if it has a quiet dump valve on when releasing throttle and if i give it some stick early in revs and let off you can hear this 'chatter'

I dont really like it as i know its not healthy, but given it is defo noticable when air filter isnt on but wouldnt recommend this, even though it is a head turner bigger turbo needed Smile
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  T2 wastegate arm AdamInNi 4 1,372 02-09-2014, 11:02 AM
Last Post: Dave
  welded wastegate help daveylennon93 16 3,791 31-07-2014, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Dum-Dum
  T2 wastegate pbell283 20 4,442 06-06-2014, 09:59 AM
Last Post: toseland