anyone blown head gasket?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
anyone blown head gasket?
hi guys, anyone here had or seen a blown HG on an hdi? gonna see one which had to have the waterpump replaced and wanna know what the definite symptoms are. incase shes overheated at some point and the HG is duff.

cheers fellas
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Pressurizing coolant system, lumpy running when cold, low coolant level...

They don't TEND to mix oil and coolant really, but if there's mayo then that's definitely a head gasket...

Before you drive it, take off the cap, check the coolant level...

Take it for a drive, take off the rad cap and check the level again - be VERY careful, if it is pressurizing then it'll spew hot water everywhere, but as long as you just release it slowly, you'll be fine... If it hisses, bubbles, sprays coolant everywhere, you can pretty much guarantee the HG is on it's way...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
you mean remove expansion tank cap? i thought hissing when hot was normal? i just was wondering how more experienced 306 owners like yourselves would assess the car if it was you buying it, and what would make you think twice etc .
cheers ruan
Thanks given by:
If you take off the cap and it's just a "Tshhht" and that's it, that's normal...

If you take it off and it's "Tshshhhshhshthhtthththththt bubble bubble" *get soaked with coolant spraying everywhere* "TSssssssssssssshttt"... Then the head gasket is f*cked Smile

Also when you start it, listen to the sound the starter motor makes - if you hear "cha-cha-cha-cha-cha-cha" that's normal, if you hear "cha-cha-eeeeee-cha-cha-cha-eeeee" then there's a compression leak on one cylinder, make sure you can start it from cold, that's a good indication if the HG is gone if it doesn't like starting and runs like a sack of shit when cold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbOXPFN0m1Y

If it does that ^^, it's f*cked...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
cheers again lad. im pretty inexperienced and dont fancy buying a heap. although i do hear HDI HG's are good but obviouslyif she'd boiled there could be a fair chance? just taking guesses here i spose

jesus just saw the video, haha, id say if she's like that il stay clear
Thanks given by:
I think in the whole time i've been on the forums, over the years i think i've seen 1 person post about the HG on their HDi going.. In general i'd say it's not something that normally 'goes'
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I just mean in this casr with poss water pump failure. Anything else to check?
Thanks given by:
In relation to the HG? Not really, Ruan's got it pretty covered there. Check the top radiator pipe after taking it for a run, if it's hard then she's pressurising the coolant.

If you can get a list of symptoms from the seller and get back to us we could give you a better idea of what may be wrong with it. "May" being the operative word, can't ever really know 100% without doing some proper diagnostic work on it first hand.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
so if water doesnt spew out and it dont pressurize its 100% all good?
Thanks given by:
Not 100% - you can never be sure when it's ABOUT to fail, but in honesty, it's hardly like a HG is that big a job if you DIY... And as most others have said, HDis never really have any problems with gaskets.
Thanks given by:
So does the top pipe stay soft after running? Mines pretty firm after a drive, but its been like it for months on my xud..
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
They snap cambelts more frequently than they blow HG's in my experience.
Thanks given by:
Ricky, sounds like yours is on its way out. Seems pretty standard for xuds as far as i can tell, so shouldnt worry lol.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(18-07-2012, 09:02 AM)Ricky Wrote: So does the top pipe stay soft after running? Mines pretty firm after a drive, but its been like it for months on my xud..

Mine's literally rock solid after a good hard ragging... And it's definitely f*cked...

You'll be part of Team Orange Engine Bay before you know it.

I can see a quote coming there...
Thanks given by:
(18-07-2012, 09:28 PM)Ruan Wrote:
(18-07-2012, 09:02 AM)Ricky Wrote: So does the top pipe stay soft after running? Mines pretty firm after a drive, but its been like it for months on my xud..

Mine's literally rock solid after a good hard ragging... And it's definitely f*cked...

You'll be part of Team Orange Engine Bay before you know it.

I can see a quote coming there...

Bigger, think I need to find someone to help me change mine before I bolt the td04 on Sad
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
You may as well get a decent gasket, refurb the head etc before you put the TD04 on, if you don't you'll end up having to take the head off anyway a few days after the turbo goes on!
Thanks given by:
you know anywhere that stock victor reinz sets? Sorry to hijack the thread!
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Errrr, good luck these days, I've never seen any online...

Speak to your local engine shop and see if they do Victor Reinz... Elring are also as good IMHO...
Thanks given by:
(20-07-2012, 10:57 PM)Ruan Wrote: Errrr, good luck these days, I've never seen any online...

Speak to your local engine shop and see if they do Victor Reinz... Elring are also as good IMHO...

What about gen. pug?
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Genuine Peugeots are as good, iirc they're actually made by VR or Elring anyway!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Head gasket change advice Paul_13 6 1,591 25-05-2016, 09:20 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  Head gasket and head cleaning? JTaylor2005 11 2,164 23-02-2015, 05:41 AM
Last Post: crpt
  Head Gasket thickness Mr_Nuclear 8 2,234 07-12-2014, 10:40 AM
Last Post: Uberderv