New exhaust options

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New exhaust options
declantg Wrote:
ginge191 Wrote:@ Raymond - Very useful there pal, considering my MOT tester i "know" (being on an island, having an MOT tester previosuly, you can sweet talk fairly well) i think i would give them some persuasion to noise levels.... Smile

by that do you mean a cheeky blowy and a pack of biscuits?

im going to say no, just a conversation and buisness promotion... but hell, BJ's are always welcomes, i guess...
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Got to keep an open mind i suppose lol
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
round here mot testers arent that easily persueded... they are all on power trips, i swear they all get hard ons when they can fail cars....biscuits or bloweys "declantg" arent going to cut the mustard .......
Thanks given by:
OK so im going to revive this as a sign i am no longer starting threads for the hell of it..

I need some help:

Firstly, i need to build myself a new exhaust, NEVER touched an exhaust besides back boxes, so please correct me at any time.

1 - i need 3 sections to my exhaust : de-cat - mid section - back section, correct?
2 - i can get a decat section of fleebay no worries, but the midsection when sold on fleebay DOES NOT include a box, and i asked if this was long enough to remove the box - no one knows - anyone know the lengths?
3 - i've got a welding friend who can add bits on if needed, thats not a problem..
4 - RUAN was talking about a SS down pipe for the back, any idea where i can get this from? - not a fan of chav-cans.
5 - Where the centre section has a bracket - i'll be removing this, how do i bracket it to the car.. edit: reading back on the thread, i can see chris posted a picture with the bracket already attached to the main pipe - i'll weld it onto the new pipe
6 - if anyone can help in finding everything i need - including flanges and such, please do Smile

oh and one more thing, doesnt anyone know the tube wall diameter - welder is curious Smile

ta xx

Cheers!
Thanks given by:
You only really need 1 box for the law and apart from that do what you want! Mine is litterally just one whole pipe from turbo back.
The centre section bracket just weld up a rod to the pipe for the bracket
Id just give your mate a few beer tokens and get him to weld up a pipe to a midbox used as a backbox then put a tip on there
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
4WayDiablo Wrote:You only really need 1 box for the law and apart from that do what you want! Mine is litterally just one whole pipe from turbo back.
The centre section bracket just weld up a rod to the pipe for the bracket
Id just give your mate a few beer tokens and get him to weld up a pipe to a midbox used as a backbox then put a tip on there

but the whole exhuast is blowing everywhere, so it needs replacing anyway... a decat pipe is only £40.. im just looking more at the centre section and getting hold of a SS back section
Thanks given by:
The early dt downpipe with no cat then get a ss catback system off the bay
Thanks given by:
1 - i need 3 sections to my exhaust : de-cat - mid section - back section, correct? Generally speaking yes, although as Phil says you could just have one long pipe with a box welded into it, or a decat section then one long pipe, etc
2 - i can get a decat section of fleebay no worries, but the midsection when sold on fleebay DOES NOT include a box, and i asked if this was long enough to remove the box - no one knows - anyone know the lengths? Tape measure?
3 - i've got a welding friend who can add bits on if needed, thats not a problem..
4 - RUAN was talking about a SS down pipe for the back, any idea where i can get this from? - not a fan of chav-cans. Down pipe or tail pipe..? Tbh any bit of pipe the right size will do for a tail pipe, down pipe will be part of your decat.
5 - Where the centre section has a bracket - i'll be removing this, how do i bracket it to the car.. edit: reading back on the thread, i can see chris posted a picture with the bracket already attached to the main pipe - i'll weld it onto the new pipe Bingo. Wink
6 - if anyone can help in finding everything i need - including flanges and such, please do Smile Ebay and the scrap bin at your local exhaust place tend to be the best places

oh and one more thing, doesnt anyone know the tube wall diameter - welder is curious Smile Thin enough it's a pita to weld lol. Don't have a useful answer, sorry!
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
awesome poodle, cheers mate - i'll get craking and buying in some new parts! Smile
Thanks given by:
These things sound great on a single-box system, look forward to seeing some vids.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Poodle Wrote:These things sound great on a single-box system, look forward to seeing some vids.

yeh just got to buy all the parts yet, then get the garage to install it all - such a PITA doing it under axle stands Smile

have a really nice spool sound already so looking forward to it all Big Grin
Thanks given by:
its really not that bad to do it on axle stands! Big Grin man up!
Thanks given by:
I changed mine yesterday with one jack and a few bits of wood holding it up! Lol
Aka the pikey method! Lol
[Image: A1A3B2B1-9269-463A-9F21-2ABF4CE9BEAC-165...A3B3F7.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Haha, i had to do mine in the same way, realised the mating faces weren't lined up right and didn't want to let it all down and start again so had to use my left leg as a jack to adjust slightly. Lain under the car waving the exhaust around with my leg and stopping every few seconds to spit out rust, must have looked a right tard. lol
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Haha sounds about right! it's even harder to get under the front with a splitter on!
Yeah that's pretty standard, rust in mouth, eyes, ears! Lol
The downpipe is a pain in the arse to get at since you are trying to undo the 10mm bolts (which seem to be longer than the exhaust itself!) through a letterbox size gap in the subframe! Lol
[Image: A1A3B2B1-9269-463A-9F21-2ABF4CE9BEAC-165...A3B3F7.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Oil-burner Wrote:Haha sounds about right! it's even harder to get under the front with a splitter on!
Yeah that's pretty standard, rust in mouth, eyes, ears! Lol
The downpipe is a pain in the arse to get at since you are trying to undo the 10mm bolts (which seem to be longer than the exhaust itself!) through a letterbox size gap in the subframe! Lol

this is why i might just pay £40 for a garage to do it - would do it in half the time Smile

ever removed driveshafts and got a mouthful of gearbox oil... not tasty!
Thanks given by:
go to your local exhaust center if you have one, i went to exhausts unlimited in norwich and the downpipe for a phase 1 306 was £18 compared to the £30-£40 on ebay!
Thanks given by:
pistolpete Wrote:go to your local exhaust center if you have one, i went to exhausts unlimited in norwich and the downpipe for a phase 1 306 was £18 compared to the £30-£40 on ebay!

de-cat downpipe?
Thanks given by:
Ph1's didn't come with a cat... Wink
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Poodle Wrote:Ph1's didn't come with a cat... Wink

Not necessarily, my project D tub has one but i doubt it was from the factory.
probs fitted at a later date by someone who knows nothing on old diesels.....

i remember asking for a de-cat pipe from a parts place ages ago and got a lecture about how i NEED a cat for the MOT, how wrong they are.....

So yea basically a P1 downpipe is a de-cat pipe Smile
[Image: Sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Garlicbread Wrote:
Poodle Wrote:Ph1's didn't come with a cat... Wink

Not necessarily, my project D tub has one but i doubt it was from the factory.
probs fitted at a later date by someone who knows nothing on old diesels.....

i remember asking for a de-cat pipe from a parts place ages ago and got a lecture about how i NEED a cat for the MOT, how wrong they are.....

So yea basically a P1 downpipe is a de-cat pipe Smile

Yours is a "P" reg car so will be a parts bin special as its the crossover year, chances are the "CAT" was there from new Wink
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
If your car has EGR, it has a cat... If it doesn't have EGR, it doesn't have a cat, simples.

They went hand in hand, only really very early P1s didn't have a cat...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
My shed has no cat or egr, I win! Big Grin
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
interesting stuff there then ^^^^^^^^^

seems as if i'll need to get underneath the car!

Also Ruan - any idea where you got your back box from? i remember reading you had a fairly "unique" back end?
Thanks given by:
My backbox is horrific!? It's just a horrible 4" jap cannon probably off ebay that Darren got on an old car, that we just shoved on mine?

If you're referring to the "Full Turbo-Back Stainless Exhaust" - that's just a 10" piece of pipe that attaches to the exhaust elbow and points all the exhaust gasses to the floor... Like a screamer pipe, but always on Big Grin
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
^^ Can't be any worse than the focus box that we lashed on after your telling off by the :law-policered: hehe

I'm interested in the noise you would get with 10" of pipe and the spool time should be pretty damn impressive..............but then you have a VNT so it is already!
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
I've tried it with the exhaust exiting just under the gearstick... Well drove it round for 6 weeks...

It's silent off boost, on boost the entire car shakes, it's amazing.
Thanks given by:
Ruan Wrote:I've tried it with the exhaust exiting just under the gearstick... Well drove it round for 6 weeks...

It's silent off boost, on boost the entire car shakes, it's amazing.

Hmmmmm...........I wan't, but don't think the police around here would approve!
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
It's only cause it's VNT I could get away with it...

TD04s etc are LOUD even on idle and part throttle. Mine's like having a GT12 on idle, going to a GT20 on full chat...
Thanks given by:
Ruan Wrote:It's only cause it's VNT I could get away with it...

TD04s etc are LOUD even on idle and part throttle. Mine's like having a GT12 on idle, going to a GT20 on full chat...

Mine is loud on blow and anything past about half throttle as it is with the 1 box Tongue its not bad at idle and less than half throttle though and not as bad as yours was with the straight pipe lol
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Exhaust options for fresh turbo 306Puggy 9 3,585 09-06-2014, 08:02 PM
Last Post: jay5488
  Exhaust options Ben Jay 14 2,727 17-02-2014, 06:40 PM
Last Post: WiNgNuTz
  Exhaust options Ben Jay 12 2,392 09-05-2012, 03:01 PM
Last Post: Ben Jay