New exhaust options

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New exhaust options
Ok, so i need to get a new exhaust before my MOT in feb, the entire of my rear section has coroded away, and it sounds as if its blowing from the middle also.

So, i want a straight through system, with 1 box ofcourse, preferably back box...

Whats the best way to go about this:

- get a full system from scrapyard and replace boxes with pipes
- repair current system
- buy an aftermarket system online

answers on a postcard - much love Smile
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
I would say repair what you have as its most likely to be the boxes that are blowing anyway and then a cheap backbox to add the 1 silencer (without baffles of course) but then you can't beat a good bodge Tongue
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
get a used DT exhaust and cut the mid box and cat out, and put a back box on, decent system for little money Smile

I'm going 2.5" straight through, i know it's not needed, but do i care lol.
[Image: Untitled-1_zpsc57da38e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Straight through with just a mid box, either in its original place or moved to the back.
If you can, get the all in one downpipe and mid section from the early dt's then put a straight pit of pipe in with the flange off your old back box on for the rear section.
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Chris Wrote:Straight through with just a mid box, either in its original place or moved to the back.
If you can, get the all in one downpipe and mid section from the early dt's then put a straight pit of pipe in with the flange off your old back box on for the rear section.

I have one of these front sections at home.......will only help if you have a car with a particle filter thingy though
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
When my rear box fell off, all i had was the mid box and it was tank loooud. I think its best/cheapest to mod the original system as suggested.

Was funny as with all the smoke hovering up from the sills and arches! People behind were shitting it
[Image: brokendown-1-1-1.jpg]

Dturbo GT2259s build thread;
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-3692.html

Daily driver; 330d Msport (doesn't blow up!)
Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:I would say repair what you have as its most likely to be the boxes that are blowing anyway and then a cheap backbox to add the 1 silencer (without baffles of course) but then you can't beat a good bodge Tongue

indeed i would love to bodge it, nothing better! BUT my exhaust is blown all the way through. not just a nip at the box, as in chunks taken our throughout the pipe Sad

cheers for the feedback guys - think its a new jobby then, grabbing a dt system, and cutting the boxes out.

How about getting hold of pipe suitable for exhaust to replace with the boxes, where am i looking at getting this from??
Thanks given by:
ginge191 Wrote:indeed i would love to bodge it, nothing better! BUT my exhaust is blown all the way through. not just a nip at the box, as in chunks taken our throughout the pipe Sad

cheers for the feedback guys - think its a new jobby then, grabbing a dt system, and cutting the boxes out.

How about getting hold of pipe suitable for exhaust to replace with the boxes, where am i looking at getting this from??

Bits of pipe between = on another car in scrap yard Wink
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:
ginge191 Wrote:indeed i would love to bodge it, nothing better! BUT my exhaust is blown all the way through. not just a nip at the box, as in chunks taken our throughout the pipe Sad

Bits of pipe between = on another car in scrap yard Wink

have you seen the IOW scrapyards lol im lucky to find a car which hasn't got hobo's living in it shooing me away with poles and rods!

i joke... should be fine to find thaat, cheers love Wink
Thanks given by:
ginge191 Wrote:have you seen the IOW scrapyards lol im lucky to find a car which hasn't got hobo's living in it shooing me away with poles and rods!

i joke... should be fine to find thaat, cheers love Wink

ROFL, no prob, just find an exhaust with some nice straight sections and use them to replace boxes Smile

£30 back box off the bay for a silencer and your sorted Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
[Image: exhaust.png]

One of these and a straight pipe with a flange for the back box.
Thanks given by:
sweeet chris, nice picture there - cheers peeps!

i need to find a cheap welders!
Thanks given by:
I also need a cheap welder Smile
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Matt Wrote:I also need a cheap welder Smile

i'll let you know when i find one on the isle of wight :roll:
Thanks given by:
Done mine myself and can weld up some bits for either of you need anything?
Thanks given by:
Chris Wrote:Done mine myself and can weld up some bits for either of you need anything?

id probably end up needing an entire system mate... hmm is suppose with flanges i could fit it in the car ok...

i'll get back to you mate, could make a day of it whilst collecting a bumper also Wink

cheers x
Thanks given by:
Just buy new and be done with it....
Thanks given by:
just to warn you ... unless you have a friendly tester then it wont pass the MOT like that....
Thanks given by:
pistolpete Wrote:just to warn you ... unless you have a friendly tester then it wont pass the MOT like that....

Won't pass the MOT like what??

1 box is all you need to be legal and MOT friendly Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:
pistolpete Wrote:just to warn you ... unless you have a friendly tester then it wont pass the MOT like that....

is always what i thought Confusedhock:
Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:

well mine failed because it was noisier than standard (not exact words but i cant be bothered to look for mot papers) and thats because all i had was the middle box and straight pipes. so just a heads up so you dont get caught out. i have a straight pipe welded to a flange ... and a standard box in the shed easily swapped.
Thanks given by:
On a deseasel, you only need one box to be 'legal'. However, the system isn't supposed to be any louder then standard... So it's down to each testers discretion (unfortunately) as to what they deem passable.
Thanks given by:
Mine is a ss tube from turbo back with a backbox which has very very little baffling :-) just the particulate it gets measured on... and my car got 0.00 emissions mwuahahaha
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Chris Wrote:Done mine myself and can weld up some bits for either of you need anything?

May take you up on that
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Straight out the bottom of the turbo FTW..

Drove around like that for a while, the noise inside the car is something else.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Fumes coming in aswell?
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Not really... Especially if you have the Ruan spec "Full turbo back exhaust"

Aka a 10 inch piece of pipe sticking out under the car.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
my pal is a mot tester, when you have a non standard exhaust you get an advisory.. and in some cases if the car is louder than it should be it can fail, but this is a choice that is pushed by local councils in the area you live"only what i have been told".. but law states that cars have to be below a certain decabell and if the exhaust is from a maufacture and is sold as road legal and not for off road use only, and within the decabel levels it cant really fail, otherwise scorpion and the other 100s of exhaust makers will be going bust lol.
so as long as the exhust isnt to loud,dont leak and your emmisions are ok then you will be good. also to add as of march "i think" air bag lights will become a failure not advisory. also non standard steering wheels..ie no airbag when spec says it should have along with a long list of other very stupid thing to try and get car modifiers pissed off....
Thanks given by:
@ Ruan - hmm... does sound tempting... on the other hand - i do enjoy a below of smoke for my 'tailgaters', assuming a turbo +10inch pipe wouldnt create too much of a smoke screen effect. Think, il try straight through to back box Big Grin

@ Raymond - Very useful there pal, considering my MOT tester i "know" (being on an island, having an MOT tester previosuly, you can sweet talk fairly well) i think i would give them some persuasion to noise levels.... Smile
Thanks given by:
ginge191 Wrote:@ Raymond - Very useful there pal, considering my MOT tester i "know" (being on an island, having an MOT tester previosuly, you can sweet talk fairly well) i think i would give them some persuasion to noise levels.... Smile

by that do you mean a cheeky blowy and a pack of biscuits?
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Exhaust options for fresh turbo 306Puggy 9 3,580 09-06-2014, 08:02 PM
Last Post: jay5488
  Exhaust options Ben Jay 14 2,718 17-02-2014, 06:40 PM
Last Post: WiNgNuTz
  Exhaust options Ben Jay 12 2,376 09-05-2012, 03:01 PM
Last Post: Ben Jay